English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 September 2022, 23:18   #41
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-mania View Post
I know! It was a moment of madness Leon! I thought I was buying a Rev 6 so thought it was the going rate. I certainly learned a lesson!!!
Blame the Hype on the Warp1260 Bromigo! This is why supply and demand kicked off, with those who wanted to get one, we’re told 68060’s were in short supply
Old 16 September 2022, 20:30   #42
Daedalus

The demand was already ramping up with the A3660, the 040-060 adaptor boards and the TF1260.

I don't want to rub salt in the wound by telling you how much I paid for my rev 4
Old 16 September 2022, 23:12   #43
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
My Rev5s were about 200/ea in the last couple of years, I couldn't justify the price of the Rev6 although I didn't need it for my BPPC (64mhz was the max with SCSI/BVision) but I would have like one for my TF1260 but alas the Rev5 will have to do lol.

Should've bought a few when they were cheaper! I did have a BPPC with Rev6 once, that was a great card to, it could hit 72mhz with the SCSI working!
Old 17 September 2022, 13:54   #44
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Well, I had it tested and ....

Fake! It is a Rev 4, with MMU but no FPU.

I would avoid AmbleIndustries on ebay if I were you, not to be trusted! We live and learn!
How unfortunate for you.....

Quote:
Hi eXeler0

I think I paid around £400 all in all, including postage to UK.
I'd say you've been well & truly buggered!

Surely you could make a claim through eBay saying you didn't receive goods as advertised?

Last edited by Kin Hell; 22 October 2022 at 14:50. Reason: Typo
Old 18 September 2022, 02:45   #45
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Surely you could make a claim through eGay saying you didn't receive goods as advertised?
Bromigo! He bought these a couple of years ago and has only now managed to get around to testing them. Besides EBay have had their monies from the sale and it’s waayyyy to far away from the 30 days money back guarantee Mang!
Old 18 September 2022, 11:03   #46
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
Bromigo! He bought these a couple of years ago and has only now managed to get around to testing them. Besides EBay have had their monies from the sale and it’s waayyyy to far away from the 30 days money back guarantee Mang!
WOW! A couple of years of buggery.....
Old Yesterday, 03:32   #47
codepoet

New Mask discovered for genuine rev6 CPUs?

Figured this thread is as good as any. Feel free to point at better threads?
Click image for larger version

Name:	68060_tray.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	82903
I've recently acquired eighteen (18) full rev6 68060 CPUs, with VERY strange markings.
1. They are marked as (M) MC68060RC60 (Motorola not Freescale)
2. They have a previously unseen mask (13E27K)
3. They came on a tray (means nothing) when purchasing in bulk
4. 2-for-2 on tests (both TF4060 and BFG9060) have shown them to be genuine rev6 in Amiga Test Kit, WhichAmiga, etc
Click image for larger version

Name:	68060_tray_mask.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	82904
I don't know why someone would go to the trouble of re-marking genuine rev6 CPUs with a new Mask and "MC68060RC60" (usually not seen except from Freescale?), and am happy that so far they check-out as real, but...

mysterious
Old Yesterday, 04:07   #48
grelbfarlk

I've got one or two MC68060RC60, so I wouldn't be worried about that at least.

As long as the FPU/MMU work, just be happy at your luck and see what the upper range for overclocking is- after you find some heatsink/fans that fit properly.
Old Yesterday, 04:41   #49
codepoet

But are they Freescale or Motorola marked, and what is the Mask? I've never seen an MC68060RC60 from Motorola before, and these Masks aren't the typical rev6 mask.

But yes, they're testing as genuine rev6, so...
Old Yesterday, 09:33   #50
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Interesting. Where is the engraving numbers that usually run vertically along the LHS of the chip?

They all have the same manufacturing date on them. Week 19, 2000. That date is before the creation of Freescale which was 2004.

If they work, they work. I would remind you that Motorola sold full rev6 parts with broken MMU/FPUs marked as LC/EC. So only by testing the MMU and FPU do you know these are full working rev6 and not EC/LC remarked

If they are remarked. Must have been a long time ago? Given the amount of information myself (and others) have written about how to spot fakes. e.g. The valid combinations of mask numbers, XC/MC, EC/LC, fab codes, the fonts and logos used Motorola, Freescale, NXP and manufacturing date codes about what the engraving on the LHS means why would anyone today produce identifiable fakes?
Old Yesterday, 11:04   #51
Thomas Richter

Chinese vendors are happy to print any mask on the chips you ask them to... What really matters is the revision the silicon reports to you. The CPU command can do that for you, and that is what really counts. Plug it into a system, provide the CPU revision as read out by this tool, and check which components are actually present (i.e. FPU and MMU). Then you know what you got here.
Old Yesterday, 11:21   #52
zipper

I saw years ago a mention about a small batch MC68060RC60 produced by Motorola.
Old Yesterday, 11:38   #53
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Plug it into a system, provide the CPU revision as read out by this tool, and check which components are actually present (i.e. FPU and MMU). Then you know what you got here.
You just don't know if the MMU/FPU work or not.

If they were previously marked as LC/EC because they had faulty MMU/FPU they will appear as full 060
Old Today, 01:08   #54
codepoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
You just don't know if the MMU/FPU work or not.

If they were previously marked as LC/EC because they had faulty MMU/FPU they will appear as full 060
I don't believe that is correct? LC chips were typically showing as rev4 via software check, not rev6? Also, they would physically disable the detection of FPU/MMU if the parts were not successful - no? Otherwise, that part dropped into a system would automatically enable the FPU or MMU and then be unreliable.
Old Today, 01:09   #55
codepoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Chinese vendors are happy to print any mask on the chips you ask them to... What really matters is the revision the silicon reports to you. The CPU command can do that for you, and that is what really counts. Plug it into a system, provide the CPU revision as read out by this tool, and check which components are actually present (i.e. FPU and MMU). Then you know what you got here.
Yes, they're all coming up as rev6 in ATK and WhichAmiga probes, and show FPU+MMU present.
Old Today, 01:11   #56
codepoet

if someone has a good stand-alone MMU+FPU testing tool (I don't think there's anything in ATK or SysInfo for example), I'm all ears. I suppose I can drop these into a fully baked system with OS 3.2.x and MMULibs and run POV Fish test for the FPU on every single chip? ...
Old Today, 04:52   #57
klx300r

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by codepoet View Post
Yes, they're all coming up as rev6 in ATK and WhichAmiga probes, and show FPU+MMU present.
WoW congrats that's a pretty sweet load of full 060's ya got there
Old Today, 06:59   #58
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by codepoet View Post
if someone has a good stand-alone MMU+FPU testing tool (I don't think there's anything in ATK or SysInfo for example), I'm all ears. I suppose I can drop these into a fully baked system with OS 3.2.x and MMULibs and run POV Fish test for the FPU on every single chip? ...
The MMULib contain at least a minimal functional test of the MMU during startup.