English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 August 2024, 18:30   #21
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bob View Post
Not too sure what's going on here. Testing with the quicklaunch 68060 option in WinUAE works fine, along with all the others. If you're seeing one of the statues at the edge of backdrop image then it's not setting the scroll register and bitplane pointers correctly, for some reason?!

Is it displaying any hex value in the top left of the screen when the startup grid is displayed?

B
Yes, it displays a Hex value. Do you need me to provide it when I get home? What real Amigas has this been tested on?
Old 10 August 2024, 21:12   #22
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Yes, it displays a Hex value. Do you need me to provide it when I get home? What real Amigas has this been tested on?
No, the number itself isn't important. If you can see that, then everything is set correctly up to that point. If it isn't getting any further, I suspect the copper interrupt isn't actually triggering the CPU to process the frame loop. I've no idea why not, though.

The configs that I'm aware of being tested are the ones already reported in this thread.

B
Old 10 August 2024, 23:06   #23
BigD

Quote:
No, the number itself isn't important. If you can see that, then everything is set correctly up to that point. If it isn't getting any further, I suspect the copper interrupt isn't actually triggering the CPU to process the frame loop. I've no idea why not, though.

The configs that I'm aware of being tested are the ones already reported in this thread.

B

Nope can't get it to work on my big box Amiga. Will try on my Pistorm32 A1200 when it's set back up.
Old Today, 03:12   #24
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
I'd be somewhat surprised if a real A1200 at 14mhz could manage 50fps with it, but a 1220/4 accelerator board, or similar with a 28mhz CPU *should* hopefully?!
I tried on my A1200 with fastram (see sig for details).

Reptile and Liu Kang moves around, but the bar colors looks different compared to your screenshot.

Last edited by modrobert; Today at 05:18.
Old Today, 10:39   #25
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
My guess would be that the TF1260 doesn't have good Chip RAM bandwidth for the CPU. Many 68060 accelerators and even some 68030 accelerators struggle with that. Since your code is copying from Fast RAM to Chip RAM, that might play a big role. To test this, I tried it on my A1200 with Blizzard 1230MK IV and it shows no flicker in the border, which seems to fit with this idea, as that card reaches the full 7MB/sec write speed for the CPU to Chip RAM. See video below:

[ Show youtube player ]

On a side note, it looks very nice to see the Sprites & background at such a high colour count
Also: sorry for the flickering video!
I assume any 1995/96 era 030/50 board would be good for this? I've got one with EDO Fast Ram but I guess this is a Chip Ram limited test?
Old Today, 10:57   #26
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I guess this is a Chip Ram limited test?
Yes CPU->ChipRAM
Old Today, 12:09   #27
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
The demo runs in 8 planes/256 colours with interleaved bitplanes. The background is 128 colours with a separate 64 colour palette for each fighter. The CPU is rendering in a buffer in Fast RAM while the copper is executing a list to perform the erase step in Chip RAM. Then, it copies only the parts of the buffer overwritten in the draw step to Chip RAM when the last erase blit is done. With this, 50pfs is achievable if the CPU is fast enough. Where it would be simply impossible if relying on the blitter alone.

B
It's bonkers how unusable the 256 color mode is on the raw 1200.
Old Today, 14:31   #28
jotd
This cat is no more

What were they thinking when they decided to go 256 colors planar-only with the same old blitter and 2MB chip?
Old Today, 15:10   #29
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
What were they thinking when they decided to go 256 colors planar-only with the same old blitter and 2MB chip?
See other threads. Lets not go off on a tangent about chipset design fauxpas. Nothing we can do to change it now and still use our classic Amiga chips. Best to talk about what tricks / tips we can do with what we've got. e.g. HW sprite multiplexing etc.
Old Today, 16:52   #30
jotd
This cat is no more

You're right! I just could not help commenting. I don't know any action games using 256 colors. AGA is mostly used for big sprites / 16+16 color dual playfield, and sometimes maybe 64 or 128 colors max.

I'm one of those who think that all games should run on vanilla A1200, but sometimes a bit of fastmem helps! For me the goal is to play on the real hardware. Now the definition of "real hardware" may vary.

Last edited by jotd; Today at 17:00.