English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 August 2024, 22:36   #141
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Something is wrong - this is regular interference
You just lost me
If it's regular interference, why is something wrong and why should samples be lost?

EDIT: Ah, I think I know what you mean now. Well, the explanation is simple: the data is being streamed from the mass storage device (a CompactFlash) at exact and regular intervals, hence the electrical interference. When the Workbench is loaded and AmigaOS is working normally, I can see similar interferences at intervals of 5 seconds.

Last edited by saimo; 06 August 2024 at 22:44.
Old 07 August 2024, 13:10   #142
saimo

AQA is officially released now: https://retream.itch.io/amiga-tools

Edit: forgot to mention that I swapped the AQA1 and AQA2 formats around and that the documentation is better now.

Last edited by saimo; 07 August 2024 at 13:58.
Old 07 August 2024, 23:05   #143
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
You just lost me
If it's regular interference, why is something wrong and why should samples be lost?

EDIT: Ah, I think I know what you mean now. Well, the explanation is simple: the data is being streamed from the mass storage device (a CompactFlash) at exact and regular intervals, hence the electrical interference. When the Workbench is loaded and AmigaOS is working normally, I can see similar interferences at intervals of 5 seconds.
Yes, this show that A1200 is quite poor in terms of audio quality... definitely need some attention - not sure if any of those revival PCB projects addressed this issue... probably not - wasted possibility to get decent audio quality.
Old 07 August 2024, 23:11   #144
Karlos
Alien Bleed

What condition are your capacitors in? As these things age and stop working properly, you get all kinds of unwanted background noise.

I noticed that one of the last times I used my system. I even have a capture of it somewhere that I was going to use for some glitch. I lost it in a HD crash but I remember the working title was "blittersong"
Old 08 August 2024, 09:29   #145
saimo

@pandy71

Quote:
Yes, this show that A1200 is quite poor in terms of audio quality... definitely need some attention - not sure if any of those revival PCB projects addressed this issue... probably not - wasted possibility to get decent audio quality.
I wonder if other motherboard revisions behave the same.
As a general note,this one (rev. 1B), due to the CompactFlash adaptor, the harddisk LED flashes all the time, with varying intensity depending on what the machine is doing - for example, moving the mouse makes it flash brighter and with higher frequency. AmigaKit (where I bought the adaptor from) told me that it's a reknown problem of some motherboards. It doesn't bother me much, so I didn't look for a solution.

@Karlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
What condition are your capacitors in?
Replaced
Old 09 August 2024, 00:18   #146
pandy71

Quote:
@pandy71

I wonder if other motherboard revisions behave the same.
As a general note,this one (rev. 1B), due to the CompactFlash adaptor, the harddisk LED flashes all the time, with varying intensity depending on what the machine is doing - for example, moving the mouse makes it flash brighter and with higher frequency. AmigaKit (where I bought the adaptor from) told me that it's a reknown problem of some motherboards. It doesn't bother me much, so I didn't look for a solution.
CF card doesn't draw too much current, also ripples due activity should be lower - generally seem Paula is poorly decoupled from interferers - there is few threads on modifications but afraid it is impossible to deliver high quality without addressing circuitry similarly o CD32 or even better.
Old 09 August 2024, 09:46   #147
saimo

Quote:
CF card doesn't draw too much current, also ripples due activity should be lower - generally seem Paula is poorly decoupled from interferers - there is few threads on modifications but afraid it is impossible to deliver high quality without addressing circuitry similarly o CD32 or even better.
After all, we're talking of a motherboard built in 1992/1993, with the audio chip designed in the first half of the 80ies, so we can't expect it to satisfy audiophiles' requirements
Old 11 August 2024, 19:29   #148
pandy71

Quote:
After all, we're talking of a motherboard built in 1992/1993, with the audio chip designed in the first half of the 80ies, so we can't expect it to satisfy audiophiles' requirements

Exactly - something that can be explained in 1984 or even 1987 then in 1992 can't be explained at all - this is clearly visible (audible) in CD32 - probably because application engineer from Sanyo (audio CD DAC is Sanyo made) proposed CD like approach to Paula so no worsening audio quality on CD path from added Paula part...