English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old Yesterday, 22:43   #1341
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

In 1985 I did not know what computers were, but around 1989 when I became aware of them... I'd want anything I could get my hands on that went beep boop. Addiction makes you not picky.
Old Today, 05:46   #1342
Lilura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
What are we defining as 'Amiga genres'? For action games...
I was referring to 1991 IBM PC action genre examples, yes; that is, games that rely on player-reflexes, have collision detection, shift around sprites, scroll, and suchlike.

And since you brought up ST vs. EGA in that genre, it is also possible to cite examples of 1989 IBM PC EGA action games that 1.) the ST/Amiga would have struggled with 2.) ST/Amiga owners would have been jealous of

But these would just be examples (as I clearly stated in my previous post), albeit important early examples, that suggest that the IBM PC platform could dethrone the Amiga in its strong-suit within the next few years if coders properly tapped its now-consolidated and -cost-reduced VGA chipset.

The reason some people may struggle to find specific examples is because the resources they tend to use as crutches do not in and of themselves convey real knowledge, only data.

So when you get into the specifics of comparative computer-game history moby games and wikipedia are all but useless outside of basic facts.

Thus, one needs to dig and think. Or better yet, actually play through the games catalogues themselves.

Quote:
Would you prefer CGA and beeper or a C64 for arcade-style games in 1985 though?
For arcade-action genre of the early-to-late 80s, I would greatly prefer the C64 over IBM PC CGA/EGA. And for arcade-action genre I would prefer the Atari 8 bits over IBM PC CGA in the early 80s.