English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old Today, 12:32   #1921
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
If old games are your only desire, that is the best option.
It's not just old games - new games have this problem. And the reason that you have not seen it reported, is this is the workflow:

(1) New game developed by developer using 3.1 and uses as much chip ram as possible, squeezing every last asset into ram to make the game as awesome as possible.

(2) User tries on 3.1.4 and game fails - complains to developer. Developer buys 3.1.4 roms, tests game - indeed 3.1.4 uses more chip ram than 3.1 - we assume for good reason - so developer removes assets from game, making game worse - now works in 3.1.4

At no point does anyone complain to the OS developers, because we all assumed it used more chip ram for a good reason!

Not so a small number of people that run Mac emulators on their Amigas can avoid a reboot, or so the OS developers can remove a "hack".

The regression is real - many people have put 3.1.4+ roms in Amigas with 1mb of chip ram - I wonder how many know the real reason they have less chip ram now ?
Old Today, 12:42   #1922
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
I am afraid you are not joking here...
For years, coders complain that OS calls do not allow enough flexibility/ressources/speed comparing to banging directly the hardware.
So instead of listening to coders and go the requested way, new implementation and bug fixing for the OS add more restrictions ... This is one of the smartest 'discours' I have ever heard .
Again, what is the problem? Developing for a 512K only machine? Sorry, not relevant for 3.2. The Os will require a bit more RAM, and it's really cheap to get these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post

By reading your replies, I now get picked by the real roadmap behind the OS updates if MAC emulation seems so important that it requires to be integrated in the AmigaOS from boot up...
It solves a convenience problem, and yes, that's more important than a 24K loss problem. RAM is cheap, and the Os needs in total a lot more RAM than 24K anyhow. Minimum specs for the Os is a bit more than 512K.
Old Today, 12:49   #1923
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
It's not just old games - new games have this problem.
Which new games? The ones you make up for the sake of the argument?

Once again, be concrete. And no, I do not care about "demos".

Quote:

(1) New game developed by developer using 3.1 and uses as much chip ram as possible, squeezing every last asset into ram to make the game as awesome as possible.
In which concrete case is 24K an issue?

Quote:

(2) User tries on 3.1.4 and game fails - complains to developer. Developer buys 3.1.4 roms, tests game - indeed 3.1.4 uses more chip ram than 3.1 - we assume for good reason - so developer removes assets from game, making game worse - now works in 3.1.4
Then you better develop the game knowing the Os and its restrictions, and not trying to smart out the system. Or tell the user to use MoveMemLow. Not a problem either. There is no guarantee that a particular amount of RAM is available once the Os is under control. This is a multitasking system - you have always to consider the situation that you don't have all RAM available for you. How much RAM is available depends on which applications have been launched on the workbench, which other tools and extensions have been loaded, and the amount of RAM necessary for such tools is much larger than 24K. Os 3.2 is *not* for a 512K bare metal machine. Deal with it, that's not sufficient for providing new features.

Quote:
The regression is real
So real that you couldn't come up with a single case where it matters, and where the reboot cannot be tolerated?

It's again one of those Amiga stories... Complaining for the sake of complaining. I provided even a solution.
Old Today, 13:09   #1924
alpine9000

@Thomas

It seems to me you do not understand Amiga game development. You don't realise the difference 24k can make to a game, or the efforts game developers will go to recover 24k. You also seem to not understand how many games work - booting from a floppy and trying to use all available ram while still taking advantage of OS functions (dos for example).

I am not going to list names of games that don't work - because ? They have been "fixed" and now work after being modified to work with less chip ram.

If a reboot can be tolerated for a gamer, why not for Mac emulation ? I wish game developers had the same inside track on the OS the Mac emulator writers have!

Is there even a legal Mac emulator available for purchase at the moment ?
Old Today, 13:16   #1925
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] Deal with it, that's not sufficient for providing new features. [...]
So real that you couldn't come up with a single case where it matters, and where the reboot cannot be tolerated? [...]
It's again one of those Amiga stories... Complaining for the sake of complaining. I provided even a solution.

(Read previous posts from 1899 to see how 'twilight zone' this answer is...)
Old Today, 13:19   #1926
Thomas Richter

Quote:
It seems to me you do not understand Amiga game development.
I understand the principles of robust software development. Thank you, I do. That's part of my job. Yes, if you are so tight that 24K matters, you're doing something wrong.

Quote:
You don't realise the difference 24k can make to a game, or the efforts game developers will go to recover 24k.
I do not care. Get your job done, properly. Take care of the situation that you do not have all RAM. Do not make your software so tight, or provide reasonable requirements for it so it is not tight for your customer.

Quote:

You also seem to not understand how many games work - booting from a floppy and trying to use all available ram while still taking advantage of OS functions (dos for example).
Which ones? Again, make an example. Your unwillingness or unabilitiy to provide one says more than anything else.

Quote:

I am not going to list names of games that don't work - because ?
...you just want to complain. I fully understand. Troll off. Thank you.

Quote:

If a reboot can be tolerated for a gamer, why not for Mac emulation ? I wish game developers had the same inside track on the OS the Mac emulator writers have!
Which games? There is really nothing on the table here. Stop the nonsense. I don't care about an abstract situation that makes no practical difference.

Quote:
Is there even a legal Mac emulator available for purchase at the moment ?

People own shapeshifter, people use it. People also use games. No issue. Just apparently nothing on the table where it matters. If you have a self-booting floppy with a game on it, and it really matters because the developer didn't know better, use MoveMemLow, put it there. It doesn't hurt on a non-3.1.4 system.
Old Today, 13:27   #1927
alpine9000

Wow - no need to start name calling - seems you are shooting the messenger?

You know my position - rebootless Mac emulation is not worth losing 24k of chip ram - your position is that it is.

I think we can leave it at that.
Old Today, 14:36   #1928
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] I do not care. Get your job done, properly. Take care of the situation that you do not have all RAM. Do not make your software so tight, or provide reasonable requirements for it so it is not tight for your customer. [...]
"de Charybde en Scilla".
Not that I am against hardware tuning (I did a lot BitD - gfx card, accelerator board, chip extension, fast ram extension, HD, ... - almost all my teenager money), but when it comes to the OS it has to target the most user base.
So the "I don't care non MAC emulators users" you are using is a speech from outer space...

If you want to encourage people upgrading their hardware, provide useful applications. Don't make the OS bloatware. We have enough of that kind already.

Quote:
[...] rebootless Mac emulation is not worth losing 24k of chip ram [...]
+1
Old Today, 14:47   #1929
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Wow - no need to start name calling - seems you are shooting the messenger?

You know my position - rebootless Mac emulation is not worth losing 24k of chip ram - your position is that it is.

I think we can leave it at that.
The current developers of AmigaOS 3 have followed this debate and will come up with a solution. It it our position that catering for MacOS emulation is not the job of AmigaOS.

What this means in detail we have yet to decide.
Old Today, 15:18   #1930
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
13.3 * I have now 28 KB less Chip RAM
When in the boot sequence is this allocated?