English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 August 2024, 21:01   #21
Aladin

The PC games market has always existed. I had an Amstrad PC1512 before changing to an Amiga 500. The PC gaming department already existed.
(And piracy was also very developed in 1989 on PC)

Last edited by Aladin; 05 August 2024 at 21:10.
Old Yesterday, 23:07   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

True enough, I saw quite a lot of ancient machines while I was enjoying my Amiga at relatives and friends. For the longest time the die hards who were playing video games on their PCs with CGA graphics and PC speaker bleeps all had some kind of Sierra adventure, Prince of Persia, Test Drive and California Games It was like a minimum PC survival kit.
Old Yesterday, 23:45   #23
lmimmfn

The thread is related to PC and Europe but it was the PS1 that largely moved Europeans from computers to consoles.

Even if PCs saw a spike in sales for gaming after the Amiga, it would drop significantly after the release of the PS1. A PC with similar graphical ability would cist a fortune at the time. Parents needing a OC for accounts wouldn't pay the crazy prices to turn it into a gaming PC and would opt for a PS1 instead.

Another pro for the PS1 was the platinum series of games, I.e. Once a game reached X million sales it was sold for 20quid. Consoles had a hard time taking off in Europe due to 50quid game priced, the PS1 and platinum series games made it a no brainer.