English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 August 2024, 13:59   #1
minator

Amiga Emulation Benchmarks

I recently got interested in the Amiga again ...because I'd bought a new Mac.
I bought a new machine because I wanted to run local Ai models. To run the bigger models takes an enormous amount of video memory and if you want to go above 48GB, Macs with Apple silicon work out to be the cheap option. Of course, Apple being Apple don't just let you spec out any machine with a large memory, for the top memory you have to get the top processor and that's $$$.

What's any of this to do with the Amiga?

This thing is ridiculously fast. Apart from running Ai, which maxes out the GPU, I don't run anything that goes anywhere near the power of the machine. So it got me thinking about how good would it be at emulation, and that got me interested in the Amiga again.

I fired up an emulator yesterday and ran some benchmarks:

Emulation System:
CPU: M3 Max 4GHz (16 Core CPU / 40 Core GPU)
RAM: 128GB

Emulator: Amiberry preview 6.3.3 macOS-apple-silicon
JIT: No (not available for ARM64).

Emulation settings:
68040 - fastest.
AGA chipset - fastest.
2MB Chip, 4MB Fast RAM.

Amiga OS:
Kickstart 3.1
Workbench 3.1 - The Workbench I used was a backup I had made from the Walker.

SysInfo 4.4
471.12 (x A600)
249 227 Dhrystones
260 MIPS
60 MFlops

AIBB 6.5
Test code type: 68020, 40 Math
Results are KoopRate (A600 is 1.00)

EmuTest 266
WritePixel 340
Sieve 310
Drystone 293
Sort 242

EllipseTest 8.82
Matrix 470
IMath 1864
MemTest 563 (677 MB / Sec)
TGTest 5.66

LineTest 2.25
Savage 3017
FMath 1463
FMatrix 478
BeachBall 3224

InstTest 335
Flops 4326
TranTest 2869
FTrace 2601
CplxTest 385

Conclusion:
This is pretty impressive considering this is a pre-release non-JIT emulator and Amiberry appears to use all of 1 core.

Memory speed was a bit disappointing considering the external RAM bandwidth on this machine is 400GB / Second and this emulation was likely sitting entirely in the cache.

PiStorm [ Show youtube player ] gets mostly faster results on a considerably slower CPU so I'd really like to see this when a JIT emulator is implemented in Amiberry.
I'd also like to see the emulator split across 2 cores. It should be possible to run the CPU and Fast RAM emulation separately from the chipset so I suspect that'd provide a performance boost.

If this is how fast it can be emulated, imagine how fast it'd be running native?
The A600GS is running some Arm native parts so maybe we'll find out.

Old 04 August 2024, 15:06   #2
Mr-Z

PiStorm also has the advantage it only has to do 68K CPU emulation.
So not having to emulate the Amiga chipset saves cycles
Old Yesterday, 02:41   #3
stx2199

for emulator, games and most programs what really matter is single core speed
and the single core speed of the M3 is impressive acording to passmark benchmark
in on the level of the core i9 14900ks and 14900kf which are the faster x86 cpus today
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

but that's according to passmark
in real life the things are different, and I really don't believe in passmark results when mix x86 and arm cpus, because is obvious that the x86 cpus are much faster in single core than the arm ones

OK ,your numbers posted indicate that such Amiga emulator is faster than winuae without JIT enabled
but winuae on any old x86 cpu with JIT enabled is between 5x and 10x faster than what you got

anyways interesting results thx for posting them
Old Yesterday, 23:50   #4
minator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx2199 View Post
for emulator, games and most programs what really matter is single core speed
and the single core speed of the M3 is impressive acording to passmark benchmark
in on the level of the core i9 14900ks and 14900kf which are the faster x86 cpus today
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

but that's according to passmark
in real life the things are different, and I really don't believe in passmark results when mix x86 and arm cpus,
Those benchmarks are weird, they're showing M3 as faster than M4, that makes no sense as the M4 is a more advanced core and 400MHz faster.

Quote:
because is obvious that the x86 cpus are much faster in single core than the arm ones
Why do you think that?
Granted most Arms are designed for phones so wont be as fast as desktop cores, but the Apple ones are designed to be fast. They also have faster decode than x86 and most importantly get the fastest silicon process before anyone else.

Quote:
OK ,your numbers posted indicate that such Amiga emulator is faster than winuae without JIT enabled
but winuae on any old x86 cpu with JIT enabled is between 5x and 10x faster than what you got
So that's good. I've seen a package? called Amikit for the RPi5 that does 2500 MIPS in SysInfo so that that makes sense. That'll be using an Arm32 JIT.

It'll be interesting to see once Amiberry gets an Arm64 JIT how my scores turn out. Should be quite a bit better than the RPi5.

Quote:
anyways interesting results thx for posting them
AIBB gave some very curious results depending on the code type / mode. CP-Math (co-processor?) was much faster for floating point. Not sure what was going on there.