English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 00:30   #1
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Open Fodder

https://openfodder.com/

To my surprise I ran into an open source port of Cannon Fodder which works with either the PC versions on GOG or the Amiga versions (and has 6 Amiga coverdisk demos bundled). How has this slipped my attention for the better part of a decade?

The main useful additions being built-in cheats, a level editor and having convenient access to both games at once. And it is highly configurable, you can set the gameplay speed for example. Parameters and hotkeys documented here:

https://github.com/OpenFodder/openfodder
Old Yesterday, 11:08   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

This is indeed pretty neat

Last edited by TCD; Yesterday at 16:34.
Old Yesterday, 16:19   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I guess it is since it works with the Amiga versions too, I was reasoning this from pimping up the GOG PC versions
Old Yesterday, 16:34   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Oh look, forum magic happened
Old Yesterday, 16:41   #5
DJ Mike

The list of bugs fixed is interesting. There have been access faults reported with the WHDL install of Cannon Fodder in the past - no doubt the same problems the author of OpenFodder encountered. Wonder how easily those fixes could be applied back to the Amiga version. (Probably not straightforward, as doubtless the code has mutated a lot as it has been ported to C++.)
Old Yesterday, 19:00   #6
DisasterIncarna

it does work, its a bit more faff getting the amiga files where the flatpak version can see them as for whatever insane reason it doesnt even look at the normal non flatpak file location(s), you can just transfer the data files from your current whdload'ed cannon fodder 1 & 2 and they work, interestingly the CD version is supposed to work and show up but when i copied the files over it isnt listed in the menu as an option to play so ive probably messed something up there. Only thing missing i think is a stretch to fit / scaling option for gfx.

Theres a few "Open" games i often watch out for, OpenFodder being 1, Paradroid being another but the RPG version seems to be the only 1 maintained, the SDL1 original seems to have fallen behind and isnt offered anymore and it produces SDL errors when you try to compile it yourself these days, then theres OpenXCom ofc, not amiga related but i almost always install Warzone2100 on any new linux install.

Pretty sure im forgetting some other golden oldies that had/have ports, i dont really list the syndicate/dune2 opensource ports as tbh i cant really see what they do thats different to warrant their very slow performance so i stick to the originals.
Old Yesterday, 19:54   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

It used to exclusively use the files generated by my WHDload install years back as obviously the original disk format was protected and I broke it back to files.

It's come on a long way.
Old Yesterday, 20:08   #8
Cherno

If anyone has a step-by-step instruction for getting the editor to work for both CF1 and 2, I'd be thankful.
Old Yesterday, 21:33   #9
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
It used to exclusively use the files generated by my WHDload install years back as obviously the original disk format was protected and I broke it back to files.

It's come on a long way.

CD32 version uses files