English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old Today, 06:39   #1
Nightfox

Did I just fry my A1200?

Hey

I was trying to install a CD ROM IDE drive connecting to my buffered IDE attachment on my A1200. I also used a 44 pin to 40 pin adapter.

My A1200 was working for a couple of min but now it won't start up at all anymore. The power LED turns on, the RGB out has its usual dark grey video, but nothing else happens. Even if I remove the IDE devices entirely nothing starts up when I power on. The floppy drive doesn't click. No kickstart.

I even removed the PiStorm accelerator, indecision MKIII and Gary mod to have bare bones machine but it still doesn't work. I even tried another power supply.

Is my A1200 destroyed? T_T
Old Today, 10:21   #2
atalante

The only thing i can think is ROM chips failure. Try reinsert them. I doubt it will work, but it's probably the only thing that doesn't require more interference with the board. Rather you need professional help from someone who knows electronics and will look at the board.
Old Today, 11:34   #3
Karlos
Alien Bleed

How long have you left it on for before concluding it's nonfunctional? Some versions will wait up to 30 seconds for a nonexistent HD to present itself before giving up and requesting a boot floppy.
Old Today, 13:40   #4
Nightfox

I’ve left it on for a few min but I’ve also reconnected the CF card. The ROM chips can’t be the issue because the rom is loaded in via the pistorm and the icedrake and still neither of them work. even the floppy drive doesn’t check to see if there’s a disk inserted

I used the pistorm to change the boot rom to DiagROM and some of the tests freeze, namely the IRQ test. The audio test also I hear no audio. Not sure if this means faulty hardware or that DiagROM doesn’t work properly if booted from the pistorm mapped ROM
Old Today, 13:52   #5
Karlos
Alien Bleed

If you remove the PiStorm completely and just have a floppy only configurarion can you get to the floppy boot screen?
Old Today, 14:12   #6
Nightfox

With no accelerator cards I just get a black screen and no disk (hard or floppy) accesses.

With the icedrake inserted I get the usual rainbow effect but then nothing.

The only way I can get anything on my screen is by having the pistorm provide the DiagROM ROM.

I’m not sure if my IDE CD-ROM attempts are to blame or if this is coincidence. I say that because this has actually happened before but it fixed itself after a while.
Old Today, 14:31   #7
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Possible damaged trace or cracked solder somewhere?
Old Today, 14:38   #8
giantclam

It's sounding physical like that, like keyboard has smacked into something sometime, and cracked a joint/trace, and depending on temp, humidity, vibration and a whole lot more, it works or nor ~ things don't fix themselves, just as 'roos don't jump in front of cars.. =)
Old Today, 14:57   #9
Nightfox

The fact I get no audio in the audio test, the IRQ and CIA and floppy disk read tests freeze in DiagROM makes me think I’ve murdered Paula
Old Today, 15:04   #10
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
The fact I get no audio in the audio test, the IRQ and CIA and floppy disk read tests freeze in DiagROM makes me think I’ve murdered Paula
Ok but the fact that you said this has happened before and righted itself suggests otherwise. As giantclam says, hardware failures don't self-fix, they just work sometimes because entropy sometimesleaves things connected that might otherwise be disconnected. Something more like a faulty connection that may well be on a line Paula uses.

A dead CIA would generally trigger one of the early startup colour screens. When you say you get a "black" screen, is it really black or is it that dark grey colour? This matters because proper black without booting is a diagnostic for one of the CIAs. I think the other is a light grey.

If Paula or one of the other custom chips is defective, you might get deadended on a blue screen.
Old Today, 15:25   #11
wiz12

It sounds like it could be Alice that's at fault, if Paula was removed from the board you would still get to the Kickstart boot screen I think.
Old Today, 18:21   #12
Nightfox

It's that dark grey colour, so yeah it is outputting video correctly. And the display works fine with DiagROM booted up.

I've used 2 different power supplies too.
Old Today, 18:27   #13
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
It's that dark grey colour, so yeah it is outputting video correctly. And the display works fine with DiagROM booted up.

I've used 2 different power supplies too.
This suggests that all the normal POST stuff has checked out. So, if the last thing you were doing was messing around with the IDE port, perhaps some sense connection isn't working and it's thinking there's something it needs to wait for?
Old Today, 18:29   #14
Mick

What revision board do you have?
Old Today, 19:04   #15
Nightfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
This suggests that all the normal POST stuff has checked out. So, if the last thing you were doing was messing around with the IDE port, perhaps some sense connection isn't working and it's thinking there's something it needs to wait for?
Maybe. Doesn't explain the freezing in the DiagROM tests though, unless DiagROM simply isn't compatible with PiStorm. I have to use PiStorm right now to load DiagROM because I don't yet have physical DiagROM chips (my EPROM eraser decided to die today as well. What a great day it has been).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
What revision board do you have?
1D4
Old Today, 20:56   #16
Mick

Quote:
1D4
Ah, I was wondering if maybe it was one of the earlier ones with a bodge wire that might have come loose.

Did your buffered IDE clip onto Gayle? what 44 pin to 40 pin adapter did you use? do you remember what you were doing the last time it went funny and then started working again?