English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old Today, 11:41   #101
roondar

I liked my A500 when I had it and used it lots.

But I loved my A1200 after I got it. Got it towered up with a Fast ATA expansion, CD-ROM drive and a Blizzard 1230 Mk IV. Sure, the framerate it got in Alien Breed 3D II wasn't good, but I still played that game to death on it - quite atmospheric. Great stuff, still use it today - though nowadays I have changed the specs a bit - different IDE expander, SATA->PATA converted DVD drive, Indivision AGA Mk3 and a Rapidroad USB. And of course, it's been recapped

Still my most loved Amiga, use it weekly or more.

Ironically, I like coding for the OCS systems more.
Old Today, 12:01   #102
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
You can hear the "ringing" very clearly in the sine bass.
Indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
In this example it's probably unwanted and if I had to guess, it's an example of the sinewave having a relatively short period (say 32 or 64 samples) being played way down the bottom octaves, so a pretty extreme example and a good justification for per channel filters
Yes, but how about an example where it's wanted? Also, why have your equipment color the sound if you can color the samples? Seems more practical.
Old Today, 12:13   #103
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Indeed.
Yes, but how about an example where it's wanted? Also, why have your equipment color the sound if you can color the samples? Seems more practical.
It's not that was intended to colour the sound the way it does, it just does. It's the "natural character" of the instrument. When you are making music and you have analogue signal paths, everything colours the sound in some way or another.

Notice that I use the word instrument here. When I was making music, my Amiga was a sequencer, but also an instrument. As an instrument, I may have it routing through outboard processors that do more to the sound.

When you are using it as a direct tracker only then you do have choices to make. Do you want the samples sounds to be more faithful reproduction of the source? If so, then you need to make sure you capture them, ideally with a good quality 16 bit sample and carefully downsample to 8 bit at whatever frequency range you can accept. This may mean using multiple samples over octaves or even over smaller note intervals. You are now treating Paula as a basic rompler. Or, if you are wanting a more harsh electronic sound, maybe you do the exact opposite and lean into lofi with all the characteristics it has. Personally, if I was using a sinewave bass, I'd generally have a long period loop because I don't want those ringing alias overtones for that. But if I'm using a saw type sound, it's quite nice.

I probably have some music somewhere that makes use of this, but it isn't going to sound like basic tracker music because I'm using the Amiga as an instrument, with external processing and ultimately multitracked.
Old Today, 12:55   #104
minator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Indeed.
Yes, but how about an example where it's wanted?

Here's an emulated example, it's a track I did a while back where I was trying to get this effect.
I used TAL Sampler and messed with the DAC settings to emulate an especially grungy Paula-esq sound.

ATOM 13
Old Today, 12:59   #105
Karlos
Alien Bleed

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by minator View Post
Here's an emulated example, it's a track I did a while back where I was trying to get this effect.
I used TAL Sampler and messed with the DAC settings to emulate an especially grungy Paula-esq sound.

ATOM 13
You absolutely nailed it in the percussion and baseline. Half of the overtones on that bass sound sound like the aliasing effects I'm describing. The quantisation noise on the fade of some of the samples is a bit OTT, but I assume that's intentional.