English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old Today, 11:22   #1
sviru

A500Plus + GVP IMPACT SCSI HD + accelerator

I wanted to ask if there is any truly compatibile accelerator that will work fine with my GVP SCSI? There are a lot of issues with DMA 32bit ram and GVP/2091 controllers. Was looking for old 68000 14/28mhz accelerators like SUPRA TURBO 28 etc to avoid 32bit ram addressing issue.

Thanks for help.
Old Today, 12:12   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Why would you want to keep your GVP SCSI controller? It's slow, power hungry and takes up a lot of desktop space. If you're in the market for an accelerator why not sell it and use the HDD controller & RAM integrated into your new accelerator?

If it is because you would like to keep the contents of your HDD then I am sure there is a simple method to transfer the contents to your PC. (e.g. PCI SCSI controller = Fastest, Amiga Explorer + serial cable = slowest)
Old Today, 12:36   #3
sviru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Why would you want to keep your GVP SCSI controller? It's slow, power hungry and takes up a lot of desktop space. If you're in the market for an accelerator why not sell it and use the HDD controller & RAM integrated into your new accelerator?

If it is because you would like to keep the contents of your HDD then I am sure there is a simple method to transfer the contents to your PC. (e.g. PCI SCSI controller = Fastest, Amiga Explorer + serial cable = slowest)
I have BLUESCSI V2 with SD CARD. Tops around 2MB/sec. So not power hungry and quite fast. I love the look of GVP with A500. So perfect here. I want to add some power.
Old Today, 12:44   #4
Liqourice

Back in the 90s I ran my 500/GVP-HD+ combo with a VXL30 and RAM32 card without problems. Not easy to find those cards these days but I've seen them show up from time to time.

Downside with the VXL30 is that you won't benefit from it if you don't have the RAM32 addon. Also, it was only avaliable with 2 or 8 MB and the chips needed to upgrade one from 2 to 8 MB are more or less unobtanium. I'd still use mine if I could find those 1Mx4 chips because my TF536 is pure crap.

But besides that, it worked like a charm for me back then.
Old Today, 12:46   #5
sviru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I think your best solution is to build (or have someone build you) a Mathesar 14MHz 68000 accelerator. It is roughly 2.7x the speed of regular 7MHz A500 (which isn't great) but the design is tried and tested with GVP HD8+.

https://github.com/Mathesar/14mhz-accelerator

It has 1MB of RAM but it is at an address that doesn't interfere with FastRAM on HD8+ nor an A501+ trapdoor ChipRAM expansion
Thanks. I need to check if it works with GVP - maybe somebody already tried it.
Old Today, 12:47   #6
sviru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqourice View Post
Back in the 90s I ran my 500/GVP-HD+ combo with a VXL30 and RAM32 card without problems. Not easy to find those cards these days but I've seen them show up from time to time.

Downside with the VXL30 is that you won't benefit from it if you don't have the RAM32 addon. Also, it was only avaliable with 2 or 8 MB and the chips needed to upgrade one from 2 to 8 MB are more or less unobtanium. I'd still use mine if I could find those 1Mx4 chips because my TF536 is pure crap.

But besides that, it worked like a charm for me back then.
I saw it like 3 weeks ago without ram but didn't pull the trigger because of that.

I found something like this Blizzard Turbo Memory
https://amiga.resource.cx/exp/blizzard500
Maybe this is a good choice?
Old Today, 12:53   #7
sviru

Unfortunately
"I didn't find these with google Amiga HdToolbox mask values

0x5FFFFe should allow zorro II ram
0x1FFFFe should allow only chip ram

How ever this acclerator doesn't work with GVP HD8+"