English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old Today, 07:20   #1
Trigger58

Question about loading a kick1.3 and a rad disk on cd32 at the same time

good morning,
I need your help. I want to load a kick1.3 and a rad disk on the cd32 at the same time. I would use skick for this, because according to the skick manual this should be possible.

the cd32 only has 2 MB chip ram.

a TF330 with 64 MB is installed on the cd32.

what should the command line in the startup sequence be so that a rad disk is loaded first and then kick1.3 at the very end.

I can get a rad disk to be created and the contents copied into it. Then I load kick1.3 and the cd32 boots. but the rad was deleted in the process.

what do I have to do to make this work?
Old Today, 07:58   #2
Thomas Richter

Probably not at all. First, kick 1.3 has problems of its own with more than 512KB chip, second the RAD is a kickstart module of its own, and it did not exist in 1.3. Third, to which degree the CD32 can be even used in 1.3 is questionable. 1.3 requires either autoconf or floppy booting, and there is no other self-booting device available in the CD32, and no means to connect a floppy.
Old Today, 08:28   #3
Trigger58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Probably not at all. First, kick 1.3 has problems of its own with more than 512KB chip, second the RAD is a kickstart module of its own, and it did not exist in 1.3. Third, to which degree the CD32 can be even used in 1.3 is questionable. 1.3 requires either autoconf or floppy booting, and there is no other self-booting device available in the CD32, and no means to connect a floppy.
I own a fWSI Wallstreet Module. It has a Floppy which i upgraded with a Gotek. Floppy should be no problem.

I wasn't aware of the thing with the rad and kick1.3. That could actually be a problem.

Can't i modify the s-s so that it first queries the kick for the version and then executes a certain startup sequence?

Then I wouldn't need a rad disk. I would then load a kick 1.3 with skick. After that, a version query would have to happen and if 1.3 is detected, a kind of selection menu would have to be started.

The background is that I'm trying to create an image for a CF that has a boot menu. So far everything's worked. Unfortunately there are games that aren't compatible with kick 2.0 or higher, don't have whdload support or if they do, then sometimes they're so difficult that they can't be played at all without a trainer. At least not for me. Then I like to use versions that have a built-in trainer. So far I've been able to install every game this way. Only Amnios refuses. There is a whdload version, but without a trainer. The disk version is not an ndos and therefore the data is readable. I can also read the data and start and run the trainer, but the game doesn't like kick 2.0 and higher, which is why it crashes.

Last edited by Trigger58; Today at 08:41.