English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language

Old Today, 06:54   #1
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

GCC.library as backend solution for Amiga compilers?

I've been kicking around the idea of using the LibGCCJIT frontend on Bartman's GCC 13.2 patch version to provide a competitive backend and optimizer for Amiga-specific programming languages. I had AmigaE in mind (using my fork of ECX) but any language that doesn't need a huge runtime or has the runtime already written (like AmosPro Unity) would be a possible candidate.

Also, the Library version of GCC would be reentrant because the LibGCCJIT frontend allows the rest of the compiler to be written as position independent code.

Part of the reason I'm writing this post is that I need at least one accountability partner. My ex-wife always recommended that I shouldn't go lone-wolf into a large project only to face burnout.

Another reason is that GCC is available on all next-gen Amiga-like platforms with a new enough version to recompile using the LibGCCJIT frontend, thus allowing them to use common Amiga programming languages.

Is anybody interested?