English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old Today, 16:23   #41
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
But... but Doom has Lost Souls.
As much as I loved doom and quake, it wasn't enough to jump over. I spent far more time making music, messing around with graphics packages and coding and the whole PC scene for me was dreary and boring AF. It only got more interesting when UAE and Amthlon turned up. I mean that's not to say they didn't have a lot of advantages by then just nothing that made me want to sway.

Doom and Quake turned up eventually anyway. I mean, I can't be the only person to have, erm, evaluated the quake source leak and had a version running that you didn't dare tell anyone about except a few trusted friends, lol. That was the day the BlizzPPC really came into its own. I learned a lot on avoiding context switching...

I need to get an old hard drive recovered, there might even be the unfinished Warp3D port. That's right, a Warp3D direct version of the non-gl version. It was faster than the eventual glquake port because it didn't depend on the more indirect OpenGL T&L pipeline that was all software on the Amiga anyway. Used the original software transform and clipping and rasterized using W3D.
Old Today, 16:31   #42
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Right. I just find the 'soul' argument a bit silly. No machine has a soul. If anything I would want a funk machine anyway.
Old Today, 16:34   #43
Karlos
Alien Bleed

From the good old days ... https://photos.app.goo.gl/vMYFSoS2yiNRqDka6

The last time I dare turn it on
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K9tR24dNh7gWvTy19
Old Today, 17:28   #44
minator

I remember reading various rumours from magazines but being rather disappointed when the A4000 came out.

However, I was very happy with the A1200. A bigger leap over the A500+ than it had been over the A1000, The A1200 had more memory and I fitted an internal 60MB drive. I later added an 030 and a SCSI Zip and eventually a Jaz drive. I also had a digi-view and numerous MIDI and audio interfaces.

I could never figure out trackers but I loved playing mods and messing around with samples, graphics, 3D etc. Those were the days.
I later moved to Windows 95 which I was not greatly impressed with, and Win 98 which I was even less impressed with. I later got BeOS and that brought back the feeling.

Still got the A1200 to this day and many of the other bits. Didn't power up last time I tried though :-/