English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old Yesterday, 17:28   #1
amigang

Dhrystones SysInfo for Emu & Pistrom32 are all over the place?

So was just doing a bit of research for my Site (plug AmigaNG.com) On what the Dhrystones numbers for the high end new Classic Amiga that are now out, dub the 68K+ Market (https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb...=45268&forum=2)

This is roughly what i found searching the net for these devices

Raspberry Pi5 ------ 2423340
Raspberry Pi400 --- 450889
A500 Mini ------------- 257619
A600 GS --------------- 246794
Vampire V4 ----------- 183577
Pi4 Pistorm32 ------- 161899
Pi3A Pistorm32 ----- 109961
68060 at 100Mhz ---- 75282

But I think the number are wrong and a bit all over the place

Yes the more I look into it, the more the numbers are all over the place for these systems!

https://x.com/Claude1079/status/1608840974977073155

Pi4 Pistorm32 clocked at 2.2Ghz @ 2236667
Pi4 Pistorm32 clocked at 2.4Ghz @ 2423859

Then there this video
[ Show youtube player ]

Pi4 Pistorm32 (unknow clock) @ 1562408

then this vid show
[ Show youtube player ]

Pi4 Pistorm32 @ 777438

and finally
Micro Miga Pistrom @ 855418

--------------------------------

So I know it likely different software and config, but I am surprised by the big differences.

So asking for a bit of help from the community, if you own one of the above system, post your Dhrystones on this forum or on the Google sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Thanks
Old Yesterday, 17:46   #2
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Why not benchmark it with some actual software, doing stuff that people might actually want to do?

For example (you may want other people to help with these):

How many channels can you get away with in OctamedSS using mix mode with smoothing enabled at the highest playback rate?

How long does it take to apply various image processing effects in tools like ImageFX, Photogenics, PPaint?

How well can you watch video? What resolution, colour depth, frame rate, etc?

How long do you need to wait for rendering in Light wave? imagine? Real 3D? Vista Pro?

How well can you run later games like Quake? Napalm?

How well does it run Mac emulation (if it runs) and under that, how well do various applications work.

How well does I multitask with some of the above running concurrently?

Synthetic benchmarks testing a tiny code path are always going to be subject to the vague murkiness of JIT emulation.
Old Yesterday, 17:49   #3
Karlos
Alien Bleed

How well does it cope with productivity software? Spreadsheets, word processing, DTP? There were decent Amiga packages for all these tasks back in the day.

How well does it run an IDE? What about compilation times for large projects?
Old Yesterday, 18:51   #4
mschulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigang View Post
So I know it likely different software and config, but I am surprised by the big differences.
Results vary because SysInfo is very bad benchmark. The Dhrystone test has nothing to do with real dhrystone benchmakr - it is just the MIPS value multiplied by a fixed factor.

The benchmark varies slightly from version to version. Moreover, versions up to 4.3 (including this one) clip result to xxx.xx Format, so instead of eg 1800.99 mips it will display 800.99. Starting with version 4.4 the rounding was changed and CHIP speed measurement changed too. For this reason, never ever compare values from different SysInfo versions as you did here (some results on the video were from version 4.0, those from Claude were from version 4.4).

For your database you have not even specified the version of software to be used, there you must be very precise. Even better - follow suggestion from Karlos and prepare set of well defined tasks which people should do and measure, e.g. render a very specified light wave scene, encode some specified aiff file to mp3 (with well defined parameters), unpack (and time) given archive to ram, do some rc5/72 calculations or something similar.

Never trust a single benchmark, benchmarks are really worth nothing... I mean it even considering the fact that Emu68 manages to get about 1.1 MIPS per 1 MHz of the ARM cpu core, yielding over 2000 SysInfo MIPS when running on 1.8 GHz CM4.
Old Today, 04:57   #5
Pyromania

Vampire V4 number looks off to me.
Old Today, 18:08   #6
AlphaAmiga

AmigaOS and compatibles could really do with a decent modern (enough) benchmarking suite
Old Today, 18:31   #7
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Benchmark applications. Unless all you use your Amiga for is repositioning your icons and taking screenshots of your awesome workbench theme, application* performance is what matters. You don't buy a fast 060, Vampire or PiStorm to sit there running sysinfo on it. You might run it once, for the lulz. No, you need benchmark the stuff people use.

*Including games, if that's what you use it for.
Old Today, 19:12   #8
Dunny

When even the mighty AB3D2 is capped off at 50fps, all you have left are lightwave render times.
Old Today, 19:15   #9
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
When even the mighty AB3D2 is capped off at 50fps, all you have left are lightwave render times.
I mean we could disable vsync...
Old Today, 19:28   #10
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
What about image processing? DTP? Music production? There are plenty of things other than 3D
Old Today, 19:37   #11
Dunny

Sure why not? Personally I like a nice game of Willy's Weirdy Nightmare - it's smoooooth on the PiStorm!