English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 12:37   #1
dreadnought

Cheap-o MiSTer clones have arrived

Seems the first 99USD MiSTer "clones" have already appeared (and promptly disappeared).

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005007...apt=4itemAdapt

They have one with baked in 128 RAM too though, at 129 USD https://t.co/G3ClbQe4yE It's not compatible with official daughter boards, but they say they will produce their own.

What does it mean for Amiga fans? Well, now you can have an HDMI-capable FPGA board for under 150 USD, and it handles Amiga A500 / A1200 core with extremely high accuracy. I think A500 is cycle accurate (or thereabouts). A1200 isn't - it's somewhat faster than the real thing, but still pretty much spot on (you can use RTG as well).

Plus, of course, it covers most of the old microcomputers and consoles up to PSX/Saturn/N64 level.

Seriously recommended as an extremely capable emulation box. And if you're a CRT fan, it's the best solution out there.
Old Yesterday, 13:17   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I think A500 is cycle accurate (or thereabouts).
Hi compatibility yes, but cycle accurate? Extremely unlikely as it is based on MiniMig which is so different under the hood than a real Amiga in terms of buses and clocks and cycles.
Old Yesterday, 13:30   #3
dreadnought

Yeah, I don't know that 100%, hence "thereabouts". It can be a tricky thing to ask about.
Old Yesterday, 13:54   #4
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Not sure that I would jump on that wagon, at least not yet. I don't think we need clone of MiSTer FPGA, we need future one with faster CPU and more memory that is capable to mimic Sega DC, GC and Pentium PCs. One with possible eMMC instead of sd micro card.
Old Yesterday, 15:46   #5
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I don't think we need clone of MiSTer FPGA
The full-stack MiSTer, which is still the most promoted one (even though it's a bit silly) will set you off north of 500 USD. Even a basic one, similar to this board + RAM would be > 300 USD.

So, bringing the price to this level, approachable for mass consumer is quite a breakthrough. Of course, if you already have a MiSTer this news might leave you cold, but tbh I feel an itch to get one even though I have 2 already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
we need future one with faster CPU and more memory that is capable to mimic Sega DC, GC and Pentium PCs. One with possible eMMC instead of sd micro card.
Sure, that would be nice, but one thing does not exclude the other. Besides, an appearance of a suitable board would be just a first step, somebody would have to write these rather complex cores too. That's why Mars FPGA seems a bit of hot air tbh, even aside from its very high price.

Terasic's also prepping a new board (DE-25) but I doubt it'll be a cheap affair.

Last edited by dreadnought; Yesterday at 15:53.
Old Yesterday, 16:32   #6
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Hi compatibility yes, but cycle accurate? Extremely unlikely as it is based on MiniMig which is so different under the hood than a real Amiga in terms of buses and clocks and cycles.
Yeah, I think the cycle-accuracy claims with MiniMig on MiSTer come from it having two CPU cores - the FX68 CPU core for 68000 emulation, which is cycle accurate, as well as the TG68 for 68020 emulation, which isn't.

As you say, the chipset's not cycle accurate but with a few exceptions (in particular, the way scroll registers are handled) it mostly does the right things at the right time now.
Old Yesterday, 18:22   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
The full-stack MiSTer, which is still the most promoted one (even though it's a bit silly) will set you off north of 500 USD. Even a basic one, similar to this board + RAM would be > 300 USD.

Don't get me wrong, I like cheap(er), but in this case incapability of 'clone' with real board means you either will have to have the same teams working on 2 different projects, or new teams trying to copy what original team has done and make it work. In worst case you will have erosion of support for MiSTer FPGA project and less programmers supporting either one.

Quote:
So, bringing the price to this level, approachable for mass consumer is quite a breakthrough. Of course, if you already have a MiSTer this news might leave you cold, but tbh I feel an itch to get one even though I have 2 already.
BTW, had no idea that price of DE10-Nano is double of what I've paid for it. (And I considered that price quite high) Now you see my problem, getting another one.... tempting.

Quote:
Sure, that would be nice, but one thing does not exclude the other. Besides, an appearance of a suitable board would be just a first step, somebody would have to write these rather complex cores too. That's why Mars FPGA seems a bit of hot air tbh, even aside from its very high price.

Terasic's also prepping a new board (DE-25) but I doubt it'll be a cheap affair.
Had no idea about new Terasic's board. I can just imagine price if they get better CPU and more memory.