English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old Today, 06:38   #141
Pyromania

@hammer

Okay, well maybe the Vampire V4+ GIGA is not for you then. You will miss out on SAGA applications & games, Arne Boosted Audio replacing Paula, Isabel - Improved Video Replacement to Lisa, Anni - Improved Alice DMA chip and all the other cool stuff coming out for it but enjoy the solutions you have setup for yourself. A FireBird V4 could have made one of your A500 machines way more sexy. But if you're not into it yet, that's understood.
Old Today, 11:31   #142
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
You will miss out on SAGA applications & games, Arne Boosted Audio replacing Paula, Isabel - Improved Video Replacement to Lisa, Anni - Improved Alice DMA chip and all the other cool stuff coming out for it
Old Today, 14:53   #143
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Most applications today are web applications.
So just having hardware with 'decent performance' won't cut it.
I am sure a browser on something equivalent to 1GHz 080 would be ok.
Anyways ... If you are primarily using the web it makes no real difference, if your browser is on your local machine or something remote like AmiFox.

Amifox is a still a little rough around the edges, but the concept is fine.

I would love a combined version of a native browser for lighter or older pages and remote rendering for newer pages - maybe some day...

Quote:
Trying to do it with anything that could in any way be called an Amiga will be problematic.
Not really - only If you have a specific problem with calling a modern interpretation of the Amiga concept an "Amiga". I personally don't care about the name as long as it feels right.

Quote:
Nobody wants that, so why bother?
So I am nobody?
Maybe stop projecting your personal preferences on everybody else?

Quote:
Just use a PC and be happy.
I listed a bunch of reasons, why I am not happy with current PCs ... and there are many more. That's why I personally don't have one ... it is terrible enough to be forced to use them at work. Mac is a little bit better on the surface ... but not if you look deeper.

Quote:
All true. But that's the way it has to be.
Fatalism kills any progress.

Quote:
To much is invested in the current ecosystem for any dramatic improvements to be made.
As you pointed out:
Almost everything shifted to the web in the last decades - and this trend is still going on. So the underlaying operating systems and or hardware architecture is today much less important than it was for decades.

Quote:
Chips will be designed by AI and programmed by AI. We will not be able to understand the code, and will just have to 'trust' that it's doing the job better than we can (which will almost certainly be true).
This will take longer than you think ... but if AI arrives at this level it will probably have a self interest in reducing complexity of systems.