English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old Yesterday, 13:18   #41
aeberbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschak909 View Post
01:10 Why MicroEMACS?

Crazy! On a resource-constrained system you should be using vi. A far superior editor in all respects anyway! And you'll learn to be a better Nethack player.
Old Yesterday, 14:21   #42
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
Crazy! On a resource-constrained system you should be using vi. A far superior editor in all respects anyway! And you'll learn to be a better Nethack player.
But it was not available for WB 1.1 : https://amitopia.com/vim-was-origina...for-the-amiga/, or was another release available ?
Old Yesterday, 14:26   #43
kamelito
Zone Friend

Very nice videos, this series and the Amiga show are pretty great IMHO.
Old Yesterday, 16:08   #44
bdb

Thumbs up Keep On Truckin'

The video series, ignoring the off-topic comments, explores the evolution of any new computer system prior to what we used to call, "Canned Software." In my humble experience (IMHE ?) in the late 70s and 80s, if you needed it, you wrote it (or found someone who would accept $5 an hour to do it for you). This series explores that scenario, and I find it engaging. Thom, I commend your well planned videos, and hope the distractions don't veer you away from your ongoing endeavours

[Prior to obtaining an HDD, the (2 years after your time frame) 1988 Fred Fish disk 103 had DOSKwik, a set of 2 programs that could R/W contents to RAM at an incredible speed, getting a disk sized content of files to their destinations in a fraction of the time] -- my own off-topic, at least at this point in your series, comment. It used the same routine that loaded the Kickstart disk.

Last edited by bdb; Yesterday at 16:32. Reason: Adding unnecessary Grist to the Grinder
Old Yesterday, 21:04   #45
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
This would be nonsense of course!
But this is an open source cleanroom reimplementation and not IP of SoftVoice

Accordingly to information on github:
Quote:
The software is a reverse-engineered version of a software published more than 34 years ago by "Don't ask Software".
The company no longer exists. Any attempt to contact the original authors failed. Hence S.A.M. can be best described as Abandonware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware)
As long this is the case I cannot put my code under any specific open source software license. However the software might be used under the "Fair Use" act (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAIR_USE_Act) in the USA.