English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old Today, 12:46   #21
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja65 View Post
buptest errors means the PIstorm has some connection issue. Did you remove the pistorm when taking out the SD card? If so it's possible you haven't reseated it properly. Sometimes removing it a millimetre or so from the edge can help.

In terms of the config file, if you are specifying a file of kick.rom you need to have this file on the sd card and the name is case sensitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
the pistorm card was perfectly working, and the rom chip and CF card too...until I tried to upgrade my setup. So no hardware problem here.
Maj has already confirmed a connection issue which I have already lamented about.

Do check & double check everything is as it should be, please!

Sometimes, just pulling it all apart & reassembling can resolve issues like this & all due to bad contact.

Also, there should be no need to edit any of the CONFIG or exec files from the Archive you download from GitHub. You only need the kickstart ROM on the root of the 32Bit partition where you copied EMU68 files to.
Old Today, 12:49   #22
demether

I'll do tonight, but I didn't move or remove the pistorm, only removed (carefully) the sd card.

Concerning the rom, as I said I'm using a physical 3.2 rom, not a file.

thank you all for your help !
Old Today, 12:52   #23
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
I'll do tonight, but I didn't move or remove the pistorm, only removed (carefully) the sd card.

Concerning the rom, as I said I'm using a physical 3.2 rom, not a file.

thank you all for your help !
You're very welcome but missing the point....

EMU68 needs a ROM file present on the same FAT32 partition as it's own files or it will not work.

Workbench 3.2 ships with ROM files in the archive. Copy the ROM file to the root of the Fat32 partition & name it kick.rom

See the link I posted to Wiki earlier

https://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=Pistorm32-Lite

I'm off to work now & won't be home till late evening....
Old Today, 12:53   #24
Liqourice

Quote:
the pistorm card was perfectly working, and the rom chip and CF card too...until I tried to upgrade my setup. So no hardware problem here.
If there's one thing I've learned after 40+ years with computers, don't ever rule anything out until you've tested it.

I don't know how many times I've solved problems by simply reseating hardware. Accelerators for old CPU sockets are notorious in this regard, it takes so very little to cause a bad connection and just giving it a slight push back can make things work again.

Not saying that this is the issue, just saying don't be to quick to brush it off because you think you haven't touched it. Removing an SD card and putting it back can be enough to disturb the connection.
Old Today, 12:56   #25
ShK

Cleaning motherboard's side edge connector plates with deoxidizer spray will not harm.
Old Today, 13:02   #26
demether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
You're very welcome but missing the point....

EMU68 needs a ROM file present on the same FAT32 partition as it's own files or it will not work.

Workbench 3.2 ships with ROM files in the archive. Copy the ROM file to the root of the Fat32 partition & name it kick.rom

See the link I posted to Wiki earlier

https://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=Pistorm32-Lite

I'm off to work now & won't be home till late evening....

thanks

One thing I don't understand, is that I do not have a kick.rom file in my sd card....I didn't erased the files before upgrading, just putting the new files instead. So I don't understand.

TOnight I' will also double check the connections of the hardware, but I really have been very carefully...

I really think that sending the sd card (and maybe the pistorm itself) to the amiga store i bought it will be easier but since he's on holidays, I have a couple of days to try to do it by myself.
Old Today, 13:31   #27
mja65

Quote:
thanks

One thing I don't understand, is that I do not have a kick.rom file in my sd card....I didn't erased the files before upgrading, just putting the new files instead. So I don't understand.

TOnight I' will also double check the connections of the hardware, but I really have been very carefully...

I really think that sending the sd card (and maybe the pistorm itself) to the amiga store i bought it will be easier but since he's on holidays, I have a couple of days to try to do it by myself.

You don't need a rom file - if it can't find the one specified in the config file or you have commented it out it will use the onboard one. I must have missed where you mentioned you were previously using the physical ROM. You don't really want to do this by choice as it is significantly slower but it will work.

Upgrading the EMU68 files in of itself can't explain the issues you are having. Based on the bup test error and that it was working before I'm still suspecting its the connection. It's possible it was marginal before and you removing the SD card moved the pistorm sufficiently to cause a problem.
Old Today, 13:43   #28
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
No it doesn't. If you leave the line out of the config.txt it will copy the Physical ROM to RAM when it boots. It obviously makes Power-on first boot longer, and you have to comment the appropriate line out of the default config.txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja65 View Post
You don't really want to do this by choice as it is significantly slower but it will work.
Only during the boot time following a power-on. From then on it is in RAM and works as fast as including a file on the SD card.
Old Today, 13:45   #29
wiz12

[QUOTE=demether;1696000]

This confirms you have a RAM communication error between the Amiga and PiStorm. Best way to solve this would be to clean the Amiga's edge connector with a pencil eraser and then IPA. Then reseat the PiStorm and retry Buptest, if it still fails you might have to leave the PiStorm out 1 or 2mm from the edge connector.