English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 July 2024, 12:45   #41
Liqourice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShK View Post
Pro tip: No matter how you initialize the hard drive with the HDToolBox, always press the "Enter"-button in each field.

Yes, I know that. Been using Amigas with harddrives for 32 years so.
Old 14 July 2024, 15:40   #42
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It can only be the IDE to SD bridge then?
Old 14 July 2024, 20:45   #43
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqourice View Post
Now I don't know what to do.

Bought a new 64GB (smallest I could find) Samsung microSDXC UHS-1 A1 V10. Same thing as the other card, though a little bit faster at writing (0.05) with the MMULib tools active.

So I'm at a loss here now.

Wonder if I should try to install some other filesystem and see if that helps. What's the best to try?
Very strange that the new SD card made more or less no difference, it’s like the issue isn’t related to the SD card.

Would be very interesting to see a raw write benchmark without involving the filesystem. That would be destructive to the data on the drive, so I don’t think one exists. It would however tell if the filesystem or related setting has anything to do with this, which feels highly unlikely.

Can you post a picture of your SD-adapter?
Old Yesterday, 02:47   #44
Liqourice

It's one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123499746698

I read some positives about it somewhere, might even have been on eab.
Old Yesterday, 06:53   #45
giantclam

Possibly a Sintech clone/knock-off ~ I always get suspicious when they slap a Q.C. sticker on top of the controller IC (as if to hide something), when there's a big open area on the back of the board (SD slot side) they could've put the sticker instead...(very common ploy with knock-offs).

I imagine, under the sticker, the chip is marked as a KTC FC1307A? ..this is itself is not enough to properly identify ~ you'd need to desolder the soic8 eeprom and dump the firmware. A 'real' Sintech SD to IDE adapter typically uses a JM20330 controller (the FC1307A is more a CF to IDE bridge, which can do SD card, but the firmware needs to account for the fact there's no CIS structure like there is in a CF card). The 'real' Sintech boards are different..ie; https://www.ebay.com/itm/123457133753

You encounter similar issues with vintage x86 mobos ..iirc, the issue was with PIO Mode0, which some of these controllers handle very badly ; usually a JM20330 based adapter get it right, but even then they can get picky about which storage is used. The only 'clue' found, was if they're advertised as mSATA to PATA they likely work....OTOH if it's "mSATA to PATA/IDE", things become hit&miss...

Mind you... https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Amiga-...ase::1287.html .... and the currently not in stock (but my bet is you could find them).. https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Amiga-...ter::1285.html .. they are both Sintech designs =)
Old Yesterday, 12:57   #46
Liqourice

I don't know. It will have to do for now, can't get any more stuff for a while. It is what it is atm.

I don't know if there's limitations in how the TF536 handles IDE so it doesn't really matter what I put in there.

Gonna get myself a Pistorm instead eventually. Got this TF card a few years ago before I even knew about Pistorm being a thing. I'm giving up on this now, the little I use my 500 I can live with the slow transfers.
Old Yesterday, 17:04   #47
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantclam View Post
Possibly a Sintech clone/knock-off ~ I always get suspicious when they slap a Q.C. sticker on top of the controller IC (as if to hide something), when there's a big open area on the back of the board (SD slot side) they could've put the sticker instead...(very common ploy with knock-offs).

I imagine, under the sticker, the chip is marked as a KTC FC1307A? ..this is itself is not enough to properly identify ~ you'd need to desolder the soic8 eeprom and dump the firmware. A 'real' Sintech SD to IDE adapter typically uses a JM20330 controller (the FC1307A is more a CF to IDE bridge, which can do SD card, but the firmware needs to account for the fact there's no CIS structure like there is in a CF card). The 'real' Sintech boards are different..ie; https://www.ebay.com/itm/123457133753

You encounter similar issues with vintage x86 mobos ..iirc, the issue was with PIO Mode0, which some of these controllers handle very badly ; usually a JM20330 based adapter get it right, but even then they can get picky about which storage is used. The only 'clue' found, was if they're advertised as mSATA to PATA they likely work....OTOH if it's "mSATA to PATA/IDE", things become hit&miss...

Mind you... https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Amiga-...ase::1287.html .... and the currently not in stock (but my bet is you could find them).. https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Amiga-...ter::1285.html .. they are both Sintech designs =)
I'm inclined to Agree with my experiences....

JM20330 type but you mileage will vary on media type. I bought one of these many moons ago here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S6GNZ...t_details&th=1

Transfer speeds were faster on MicroDrives tbh & these were faster than any CF card I saw in real terms.

If you go to AliExpress & search for "mSATA to 2.5" IDE HDD SSD mSATA to PATA Adapter", there are loads available from different suppliers @ different prices. Trick is knowing which ones employ JM20330 controllers.

Last edited by Kin Hell; Yesterday at 17:19.
Old Yesterday, 18:08   #48
Liqourice

So what is recommended? What's the best bet to get without being to expensive? I really don't need a very large drive to my 500.
Old Yesterday, 18:31   #49
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
So what is recommended? What's the best bet to get without being to expensive? I really don't need a very large drive to my 500.
Always branded media for starters....

What are you using for a 44 pin controller in your A500?
Old Yesterday, 18:34   #50
Liqourice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Always branded media for starters....

What are you using for a 44 pin controller in your A500?

As I mentioned, the one on the TF536
Old Yesterday, 18:39   #51
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Yes.... Silly me....

I was going to go on about the TF & moan with Rose Tinted Glasses as to not needing specific drivers for any Amiga CPU other than 040 or 060. Since the advent of OS3.1.4, we need to install specific Library routines even @ 030 level...
I mention this purely as faster CPU's will give you better IDE performance whist having a hit on the CPU. SCSI is a different matter.

To save me trawling this thread, does your Kickstart have the enhanced IDE included for this card or are your ROM's naked, if you pardon the expression.
Old Yesterday, 20:28   #52
Liqourice

I'm running the Cloanto 40.63 3.1 physical kickstart.
Old Yesterday, 21:45   #53
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

There are work arounds I believe, but you can get newer ROM's which include the enhanced IDE on ROM.

Have a look at the options over at Amiga Passion. 3.2 is the latest available with the TF afaik. - supaduper might be able to help further.
Old Yesterday, 22:09   #54
Liqourice

Quote:
There are work arounds I believe, but you can get newer ROM's which include the enhanced IDE on ROM.

Have a look at the options over at Amiga Passion. 3.2 is the latest available with the TF afaik. - supaduper might be able to help further.
Yeah, I plan to get 3.2 in a while. I have 3.1.4 on my 4000 but I only bought the rom files for it and not the 500 so I don't have the necessary files to install 3.1.4 on the 500.

So I'll just get 3.2 when I feel I can start spending on my old hardware again.
Old Yesterday, 22:27   #55
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Yeah, I plan to get 3.2 in a while. I have 3.1.4 on my 4000 but I only bought the rom files for it and not the 500 so I don't have the necessary files to install 3.1.4 on the 500.

So I'll just get 3.2 when I feel I can start spending on my old hardware again.
I'm sure you understand my point here....

You can't just buy any old 3.2 ROM for it to work. It has to have the enhancement for the TF card.
Old Yesterday, 22:34   #56
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:

You can't just buy any old 3.2 ROM for it to work. It has to have the enhancement for the TF card.
This isn't true for the TF536, it's just pretending to be Gayle, so the standard ROMs will be fine, just make sure the MuFastROM is working as expected!
Old Yesterday, 23:27   #57
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Yes. TF536 isn't like TF1260/360/4060 it does not include the TF eIDE controller and so doesn't need a special ROM or driver
Old Today, 01:27   #58
Liqourice

Quote:

I don't need to repeat.