English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 July 2024, 12:43   #361
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
I think anything to do with the 68k Amiga should now be free after 40 years (it came out in 1985) but while its making people money it will not, we are causing it because we are making it popular, I think we need a side of the Amiga that free and remake all software like its kickstarts and a free version of Workbench that acts like the Amiga Workbench like Amibench but is free to download, I know we have AROS but it not very compatible and it does not feel like Workbench, I was thinking, how did these demos disks that loaded Workbench have it on them for free so you could load different apps on the disk if Amiga Workbench is copyrighted, Workbench is given away free with Amiga Format demo disks, I guess because not all its files are included on the disk ...?
Maybe lie down and have a glass of water?
Old 13 July 2024, 13:14   #362
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Maybe lie down and have a glass of water?
OK, I am back to normal now...
Old 13 July 2024, 13:22   #363
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Old 13 July 2024, 15:51   #364
OlafSch

Quote:
behavior depends on desktop. There is a scalos port on aros so workbench behavior is not the problem. Also using the same icons. And a lot of stuff is working when you invest some time in it.

Last edited by OlafSch; 14 July 2024 at 00:07.
Old 14 July 2024, 01:58   #365
swoslover

Bit the bullet and ordered one. Accidentally 2 as I already had one in my cart .... ooops. Have emailed almost instantly to cancel one so will get an early indication of how good the Amiga Kit customer service is! Hopefully problem is easily resolved although admittedly all caused by myself (and 4 pints of lager ??)
Old 14 July 2024, 16:28   #366
spannernick
Retro Nuts

oh dear, well we all need a spare...
Old 14 July 2024, 16:40   #367
spannernick
Retro Nuts

One question... is the A600 GS built by one person so put together by hand or manufactured(I do not see it been manufactured with it having a OPI Zero3 in it more like a hobby project thats why the ARMIGA was called the Armiga Project), I ask because its a lot of work for one person, I worked in rental all my life, I use to fix C64 when I was 18 in a computer shop that only sold them and other commodore stuff, its was called Macob and now Macob Systems and its still a life and the shop is still there but now it builds and fixes PCs and Macs now.. alot of computer shops have gone now that use to sell C64/Amigas and fix them... https://www.macobsystems.co.uk

The A600 GS is just the ARMIGA2...

So is this correct... `And need to remember the A600 GS is made by one person(Mathew Leaman) not a company like Retro Games LTD/PLAION so they are hand built(made from a kit (AmigaKIT... ) and built to order, like the ARMIGA was, AMIGA.KIT builds all there stuff by hand from kit form so hand solders everything, it not done by a computer, that why they are called Amiga.KIT everything is made from kits.`

So was Amiga.Kit going to sell KITs originally of Amiga expansion boards so you built them yourself, they would be cheaper and why it has kit in it name, well its not from Knight Rider... Hay KITT... ...?

Last edited by spannernick; 14 July 2024 at 17:37.
Old 14 July 2024, 17:40   #368
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
One question... is the A600 GS built by one person so put together by hand or manufactured
It's being produced by AmigaKit LTD which is a multi-person commercial operation and they are being manufactured partially with off the shelf components.

Matthew Leaman is the founder/CEO but he employs staff.

The Kit in AmigaKit does not mean "self-assemble" it means "equipment".
Old 14 July 2024, 18:05   #369
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
It's being produced by AmigaKit LTD which is a multi-person commercial operation and they are being manufactured partially with off the shelf components.

Matthew Leaman is the founder/CEO but he employs staff.

The Kit in AmigaKit does not mean "self-assemble" it means "equipment".
OK, Thanks, like self-assmble Amigas like self-assemble PCs but if you think about it he does get the product as kit form then builds it before sending it out so the KIT name sound more fitting to that too now...
A600 GS is not built already from the manufacture like THEA500 Mini is so its in bits like a kit and has to be built first, THEA500 Mini was sent from China (Manufacture) to the shops in the UK from a Cargo Ship, thats why things take longer to make for AmigaKit so the KIT name is fitting for them... and AmigaKit is the manufacture because they build there products and are like ASUS who builds hardware for the PC.
Shouldn't AmigaKit be on Wikipedia by now...

Last edited by spannernick; 14 July 2024 at 20:11.
Old 14 July 2024, 20:22   #370
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
A600 GS is not built already from the manufacture like THEA500 Mini
If you mean the A600GS is not a fully custom PCB and is modular using a pre-existing development board then you are of course correct. But I imagine TheA500 Mini was partially assembled by hand too.

Quote:
so its in bits like a kit and has to be built first, THEA500 Mini was sent from China (Manufacture)
I'd be amazed if A600 GS is being hand assembled in the UK, labour rates are just too high, but I don't know. If they are, kudos to them. Depends how many they are going to make but I would imagine they are being assembled elsewhere in a factory.

All this "Kit" nonsense, you sound slightly mad, in a nice way.
Old 14 July 2024, 21:53   #371
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Mock up of the board in the A600 GS, I made the image...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A600GS-Board-Mockup.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	506.9 KB
ID:	82707  

Last edited by spannernick; 15 July 2024 at 00:53.
Old 15 July 2024, 01:12   #372
PeterK

Hmm?? Where is the "RabbitHole" signature, where are the two USB ports on your board? Did the color change, too?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a600gsbox.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	82708  
Old 15 July 2024, 04:43   #373
grelbfarlk

Quote:
If I was making a new free Workbench I would start with the demo disks that have it on there for free and that work from there and start adding new commands in it and making the Amiga command binaries it needs, its a bit like Linux, or even a Linux type of Workbench for the Amiga 68k, you could call it Linux Workbench.. .
Clearly you are not a bad enough dude to start with a 3.9 distribution or a 3.1 because you can *wink, wink* enough to say "only people who had 3.1 AmigaOS on their A1200s can use it because of licensing," or 3.2 or whatever.

Then you slap a bunch of icons on it, put an anime girl on the wallpaper and add some bootsounds, a whole lot of apps from anything that was uploaded to aminet or anywhere else, then you declare you have a new OS, perhaps your bootimage can be an AI generated wrench with a burn mark in the upper claw, and call it SpannernickOS.

You can't do that because you are not a bad enuf dude to make a new AmigaOS.

Then you declare that it's not yours because you didn't personally upload it, from the yahoo.co.uk account it was uploaded from.
Old 15 July 2024, 08:43   #374
aeberbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post

You can't do that because you are not a bad enuf dude to make a new AmigaOS.

Then you declare that it's not yours because you didn't personally upload it, from the yahoo.co.uk account it was uploaded from.

Haven't heard this story - what's it all about?
Old 15 July 2024, 11:42   #375
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Hmm?? Where is the "RabbitHole" signature, where are the two USB ports on your board? Did the color change, too?

Huh?

Bottom left, Rabbit hole gfx and text.
Top right, 2 extra USB ports.

Yes, Prototype was green. My GS is made from the prototype parts. So mine is quite unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I'd be amazed if A600 GS is being hand assembled in the UK, labour rates are just too high, but I don't know. If they are, kudos to them.
Yes, we are hand assembling all GS's, bar the surface mount components on Daughter board.
Old 15 July 2024, 11:46   #376
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
we are hand assembling all GS's, bar the surface mount components on Daughter board.
Wowsers. #MadeinGB
Old 15 July 2024, 12:05   #377
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Huh?

Bottom left, Rabbit hole gfx and text.
Top right, 2 extra USB ports.

Yes, Prototype was green. My GS is made from the prototype parts. So mine is quite unique.

Yes, we are hand assembling all GS's, bar the surface mount components on Daughter board.
It was guess work so why it was a mock-up, no pictures of its insides online I could find, I know I missed bits, I just wanted to show where I thought the OPI Zero 3 was on its board, I only had a picture of quarter of its board to work with so the rest was a guess where things were so never had the whole picture of the board at all so only could work with that.

This is the picture I had to work with

I did relies who A-EON(reminds me of E.ON the Electricity and Gas Supplier) were, never heard of them before, its Amiga Kit like how Paul Andrews has other companies not just RGL at the same address he has 5 different companies in Luton, he publishes books and music too, well he can always fall back on one if RGL goes under...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	23091711042323955818258324-2799644838.png
Views:	156
Size:	564.0 KB
ID:	82710  

Last edited by spannernick; 15 July 2024 at 12:56.
Old 15 July 2024, 12:27   #378
swoslover

Quote:

I did relies who A-EON(reminds me of E.ON the Electricity and Gas Supplier) were, never heard of them before, its Amiga Kit like how Paul Andrews has other companies not just RGL at the same address he has 5 different companies in Luton, he publishes books and music too, well he can always fall back on one if RGL goes under...
Seems to have been director of a fair few companies including Erotic Chat Bots Ltd.
Old 15 July 2024, 12:31   #379
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoslover View Post
Seems to have been director of a fair few companies including Erotic Chat Bots Ltd.

Your obviously talking about Andrews.

Can we pull it back on topic.
Old 15 July 2024, 12:37   #380
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Your obviously talking about Andrews.

Can we pull it back on topic.
Ok sorry... its weird, I have the same surname has him, but not related...

Last edited by spannernick; 15 July 2024 at 13:02.