English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 17 June 2024, 21:39   #1
lord_snoodles

Amiga games with expansions and how to use?

Hello community,

Two of my favorite childhood games on my Amiga 2000 were

-Earl Weaver Baseball
-Wayne Gretzky Hockey

I loved both because of the managerial expansion packs that allowed for virtual league creation and how you could get the computer to play the games on the schedule (in WGHockey anyway)

Is the integration of an add-on program possible in FSUAE? If not, does anyone know how I can do this? Sadly my 2000 was donated to a church about 30 years ago.
Old 17 June 2024, 23:03   #2
wiisoldier
Just loving the Amiga

Hi,
Good question, but more information would help.
How are you running FS-UAE? Via a Windows / Linux x86 or ARM based system.
Do you have a working version of Amiga OS installed as a hard-drive image?
Do you have i-Game installed?
Which copies of the games that you want to play, do you have? ADF, WHDLoad, slaves etc.
Do you have Amiga Forever (up to WB3.1) or a later version?
The more information you can provide, the more help that can be given.
Old 09 July 2024, 04:32   #3
lord_snoodles

cheers and thanks! I have

FSUAE 3.0.5 and also 3.1.0 on MACOS 10.13.6

I don't have i-Game and I presume neither Amiga OS as I play my games by launching FSUAE launcher. I am synced with the game database and I let it decide what versions of the disks/games to load up.

I have Wayne Gretzky Hockey as lha and the Hockey League Simulator as adf
I also have Earl Weaver Baseball as lha. I'll have to go dig up the COmmissioner's disk but if I can get the Hockey game to work with expansion that would be a great victory!
Old 09 July 2024, 05:39   #4
giantclam

I'm not familiar with either of these titles, (likely something to do with being in .AU =), but a quick read turns up...

The Earl Weaver Baseball WHDLoad pack...(quoting from the release file);

Quote:
CUSTOM2=1 starts commissioner disk (game data editor) instead,
with blitter fixes :)
The Wayne Gretzky Hockey WHDLoad pack contains a disk.2 for saving games.

Latest WHDLoad packs for these are here.

If you're not married to fs-uae and want emulation based on latest WinUAE core, I'd suggest amiberry v6.3.3 from here.

HTH
Old 09 July 2024, 06:44   #5
dreadnought

Some games with expansions packs have them already integrated, like the Earl Weaver. You can try to use the Commisioner Disk following the readme advice, as giantclam says above.

But if it fails, you can always try the adf version and it should work ok. That's probably better advice fo Wayne Gretzky - just use adfs, because fiddling with the WHDL save file vs Hockey League adf might prove too tricky.

The manual for Wayne Gretzky is here, if you need advice on how to expoert the data: https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/w...hockey#manuals
Old 10 July 2024, 02:10   #6
lord_snoodles

Thanks everyone! So are you saying put the expansion disks as disk 2 (or 3 or whatever) in the queue on FSUAE? I'll go dig up the WHD load and see if it's different from what I have already.

My memory is saying that Hockey League Simulator was playable as a management sim only / standalone from WG Hockey. But you could integrate the teams and schedule with WGH and play any and all games you wanted in "real life."

Thank you for Amiberry recommendation but sorry to report the Amiberry shared is for the newest MacOS (13). I am running 10.13.6 and cannot update. Might there be an older version to work with High Sierra?

BTW I found the ADF for Earl Weaver Commissioner. I couldn't find it online. If you all want it let me know. I also just uploaded it to Archive.org. Same for Hockey League Simulator. I'm reading the advice in the shaded text box you provided but I'm sorry i don't really understand what it means.

I tried to set up WinUAE on my win10 PC and also with DamienD's games pack, but all the games ran with distorted sound/music and a lot of the simple ADFs just crashed or froze mid-load. Even using WinUAE yielded the same distortion. Games run great in FSUAE on my old Mac so I'm sticking to this. Getting newer HDFs, bin/cues, ISOs to run is a work in progress and I'll find topics for those in EAB. Does anyone recommend WinUAE for Mac?

Last edited by lord_snoodles; 10 July 2024 at 02:19. Reason: added info
Old 10 July 2024, 02:42   #7
giantclam

Quote:
I'm reading the advice in the shaded text box you provided but I'm sorry i don't really understand what it means.
I can only speak to the amiberry case here ; if you load EarlWeaverBaseball_v1.0_0323.lha into amiberry via the WHDLoad panel...

...you can click on the 'Custom Fields' button to reveal those options...

Wrt to bin/cue/iso images, you just select Amiga model: CD32 and add the file to the CD image file selector, then click Start...

Note: that's my colour theme for the GUI, you can change this (or leave it standard =)

Last edited by giantclam; 10 July 2024 at 06:55.
Old 10 July 2024, 07:52   #8
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_snoodles View Post
Thanks everyone! So are you saying put the expansion disks as disk 2 (or 3 or whatever) in the queue on FSUAE?
Actually, I think both these programs (Wayne and Earl + add ons) are independent. So in case of Earl, you first run the Commisioner and then insert a disk with your team to modify it. I think you can use DF0 and DF1 (so, Commisioner in the 1st and Earl team disk -which might be the Earl game disk itself - in DF1). But I haven't tried it fully myself, you need to experiment.

I guess it's the same with Wayne: you save your team (or whatever) data, then load it in HLS - and vice versa. So in this case you can also try using both drives, or swap disks in DF0, depending on what the game says.

Quote:
BTW I found the ADF for Earl Weaver Commissioner. I couldn't find it online. If you all want it let me know. I also just uploaded it to Archive.org. Same for Hockey League Simulator.
Thanks, but tehse images are available in TOSEC and elsewhere. Best search Turran ftp when in doubt: http://ftp2.grandis.nu/turransearch/
Old 11 July 2024, 07:22   #9
lord_snoodles

Thank you @giantclam for the screenshots! They will be helpful. I'm going to try to dig up an old version of Amiberry for my old mac, and if that doesn't work I'll go find one for the PC laptop to see how it works. I'd be curious to see if the sound issues are the same or different.
Old 11 July 2024, 07:43   #10
giantclam

Quote:
I'm going to try to dig up an old version of Amiberry for my old mac
You haven't mentioned which apple model you're using, but I'm going to guess it's x86-64 based? If that's the case, you'll want amiberry v6.3.3 ...earlier version of amiberry do not included the WHDLoad panel ..just FYI =^)
Old 12 July 2024, 20:29   #11
lord_snoodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantclam View Post
You haven't mentioned which apple model you're using, but I'm going to guess it's x86-64 based? If that's the case, you'll want amiberry v6.3.3 ...earlier version of amiberry do not included the WHDLoad panel ..just FYI =^)
it's an iMac 27"intel from mid-2010. I tried Amiberry 6.3.3 and no dice. I didn't see on the github if older versions can be downloaded... Would anyone know what version I can use?
Old 12 July 2024, 20:31   #12
lord_snoodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiisoldier View Post
Hi,
Good question, but more information would help.
How are you running FS-UAE? Via a Windows / Linux x86 or ARM based system.
Do you have a working version of Amiga OS installed as a hard-drive image?
Do you have i-Game installed?
Which copies of the games that you want to play, do you have? ADF, WHDLoad, slaves etc.
Do you have Amiga Forever (up to WB3.1) or a later version?
The more information you can provide, the more help that can be given.
I put "i-game"in google search and it turned up gambling games. I have a feeling you meant something else. But the page of search results didn't seem to point to what I think you meant...
Old 13 July 2024, 02:35   #13
giantclam

Quote:
it's an iMac 27"intel from mid-2010. I tried Amiberry 6.3.3 and no dice. I didn't see on the github if older versions can be downloaded... Would anyone know what version I can use?
Did you install required libraries using Homebrew? https://github.com/BlitterStudio/ami...t-Installation

@lord_snoodles ...thanks for reporting this ; there's a couple of areas the amiberry docs/wiki can be improved for the MacOS case ; I've hoisted a ticket on the issue, should be better soon =)

Last edited by giantclam; 13 July 2024 at 04:14.