English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 July 2024, 18:35   #341
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Because we are talking about the A600 GS, I posted 3 pictures of what the ARMIGA Floppy Version looks like inside it, its basically the same thing really... The ARMIGA came with the same controller too, a USB Sens controller, a white one.

The ARIMGA was originally going to have a Raspberry PI 1 in it but they changed it to the Cubieboard2, it was cheaper to make (see 3rd picture below) oh and I did get THEC64 Mini Carousel working on a Cubieboard2, well it ran then crashed ... , it was the first thing I did in Linux(2019, I think), its because it uses the same SoC - Allwinner A20 as THEC64 Mini, THEARMIGA used the UAE4all Emulator from the Sega Dreamcast too, they ported it source code to it, it ran faster on the A20 but some games are unplayable like Night Breed The Interactive Movie because the games screen has a horizontal hold problem with lines going across the screen like a C64 loading screen so can not play every game on the ARMIGA, it might load the game but then its not playable, the UAE4all emulators had that problem, the ARMIGA still now has that problem, the problem is not on UAE4Arm, UAE4Arm does work on the ARMIGA, its a bit slow, I got it working on it but stopped working on it when THEA500 Mini came out, its still on my ARMIGA, my ARMIGA Limited Edition has no serial number, thats because I got it free from its creator... thats because I tried to support it and sheared it firmware so people could still download it from a FB group I made for the ARMIGA, you still can download it from FB, I still like mine and use it every now and then, I like machines that give you that good feeling when you use them, the Nostalgia Amiga feeling... , you know what I mean and this still does.

Ever thought of making a White A600 GS Limited Edition...?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Armiga insides.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	82671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Armiga inside.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	82672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Armiga-with-the-RPI1-in-it.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	82673  

Last edited by spannernick; 10 July 2024 at 19:56.
Old 10 July 2024, 19:17   #342
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The SoC in the A600GS is considerably better. Not as good as an RPi 5, but much better than ARMiga
Old 10 July 2024, 19:25   #343
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
Because we are talking about the A600 GS, I posted 2 pictures of what the ARMIGA Floppy Version looks like inside it, its basically the same thing really... The ARMIGA came with the same controller too a USB Sens controller, a white one.

The ARIMGA was originally going to have a Raspberry PI 1 in it but they changed it to the Cubieboard2, it was cheaper to make (see picture below) oh and I did get THEC64 Mini Carousel working on a Cubieboard2, well it run then crashed ... , it was the first thing I did in Linux(2019, I think), its because it uses the same SoC - Allwinner A20 as THEC64 Mini, THEARMIGA used the UAE4all Emulator from the Sega Dreamcast too, they ported it source code to it, it ran faster on the A20.
It would be interesting if A600G became more then Hardware, a software platform, so that projects like these had a common ground, pretty much like what DOS did to PCs back then
Old 10 July 2024, 20:14   #344
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The SoC in the A600GS is considerably better. Not as good as an RPi 5, but much better than ARMiga
It would be, the A20 was made in 2012 and the H6 was made in 2017 plus its a 64bit and a Cortex A53, the A20 is 32bit and a arm7 not a arm8A(sun50i).
Old 10 July 2024, 20:25   #345
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
It would be interesting if A600G became more then Hardware, a software platform, so that projects like these had a common ground, pretty much like what DOS did to PCs back then
Oh what a standard, like PCs, DOS, Windows, VHS, DVDs, ARM and Android, they are all standards, they tried to do it with the MSX computer and make MSX a standard too but didn't work... all it means is its all the same really so each device or software is the same as each other so easier to work with so one VHS Tape works in another VHS recorder no matter who its made by, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Betamax was another standard too before VHS, VHS was more popular so Betamax was dropped.

Cassette Tapes were a standard too.

Last edited by spannernick; 10 July 2024 at 20:42.
Old 11 July 2024, 21:27   #346
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Was just looking at a video on the A600 GS, like how you can delete games, only device I know of that can do that, on THEA500 Mini you can not even delete save states only replace them, everything have to be done on a PC.
Old 11 July 2024, 21:43   #347
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Does anyone know how long the pre order are, I want a ruff idea when I be getting mine, I know one person runs Amigakit(Mathew) so is there more then one person building them, I can see this maybe the biggest project undertake by AK, I do not mind wanting 3 to 4 months for it, I just would like to know, if I know then I can forget about the A600 GS for a while and wait...?

It makes me laugh when people say the A600 GS is a cheap console, I do not think £147 is cheap and especially now, it a lot to me, when you know what its like to have nothing, my first Amiga(A500 Screen Gems Pack 1991) I got cost £650 on HP so it has about £400 interest added to it, only way I could get one, I got it the from Eastern Electricity Shop (I saw the A600 and A1200 in there to in there window), they never checked you credit score because I was with them for my electric, only place who didn't, it was before the Electricity and Gas was privatised so only had one supplier for Electric and (British Gas) for Gas.

Last edited by spannernick; 12 July 2024 at 12:39.
Old 12 July 2024, 01:17   #348
swoslover

I'm in the same boat don't have the £1000s that some seem to have to spend on what is a hobby for me. Dream is to build the A1200 set up I never had the money for back in the day. That will have to wait a while! Think we got all our old computers from the catalogue. Can't think what the interest rate on those was!

Would also be interested to know how long the wait is likely to be.
Old 12 July 2024, 05:09   #349
grelbfarlk

Quote:
This is a terrible idea.

The best part of modern Altmigas, is that everyone gets a standard and platform, which are incompatible to the rest of the community.

Everyone gets to be a king of their own kingdom.
If you just get 100 users to buy your thing, then you can declare a new age of Amiga, ruled solely by you.
Old 12 July 2024, 05:35   #350
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
If you just get 100 users to buy your thing, then you can declare a new age of Amiga, ruled solely by you.
Old 12 July 2024, 10:47   #351
pixie

Quote:
This is a terrible idea.

The best part of modern Altmigas, is that everyone gets a standard and platform, which are incompatible to the rest of the community.

each reinventing the wheel each time, bumping in the same problems... if they all use ARM, they might as well use a standard. Perhaps you're not too fund of Picasso96 or AHI then... obviously each one can have their own strengths, but at least they would share a larger pool of software.
Old 12 July 2024, 10:51   #352
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
...but at least they would share a larger pool of software.
Nah, that would destroy the true spirit of post 1995 Amiga: Why share when you can sue instead.
Old 12 July 2024, 11:28   #353
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

@spannernick

I'm confused, I ordered the A600GS from Amigakit, went through the payment, no mention of pre order on the item page so was under the impression it was ready to ship?
Old 12 July 2024, 11:41   #354
amigakit.com

The following software updates for the A600GS have been uploaded today through the in-built live update system. They are available to download for all registered AmiSphere users:

46.1.751 (12.07.2024) :

A600GS
Add CD support to Systemv46 config and enable mounting of ISO images in AmiBench via the "Insert New Disk" item in the PAUSE MENU. Note: Users who have customised AmiBench screen mode may want to back up their settings before updating.

Add password and username retrieval buttons to the Amisphere login panel.
Pressing these will enable the user to have their username emailed to their
account email and perform a password reset if they for get their password.

Pause Menu and sub windows now "grab" the mouse pointer preventing accidentally transferring focus back to amiberry when its paused.
Old 12 July 2024, 12:29   #355
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
This is a terrible idea.

You have a Amiga standard already, its called Amiga Forever.... if Cloanto put it in a AIAB then it be its own device then and not relies on the PC but do not see it, does anyone still buy it, I don't, last one was 2011, it basically the same as the last one they made so is a standard.

Last edited by spannernick; 12 July 2024 at 12:46.
Old 12 July 2024, 13:00   #356
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
@spannernick

I'm confused, I ordered the A600GS from Amigakit, went through the payment, no mention of pre order on the item page so was under the impression it was ready to ship?
It says on this site:

`Orders are being taken and pre-orders are now shipping!`

https://www.a600gs.com/

So why I asked.
Old 12 July 2024, 13:02   #357
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Too long and OTT.. sorry...

Is the a PDF of the A600 GS manual, if not I could make one when I get mine, if anyone wants it to save the ware and tear on the manual...?

Last edited by spannernick; 12 July 2024 at 14:44.
Old 12 July 2024, 14:48   #358
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Oh. Shame it wasn't labelled more clearly on Amikit, having seen it reviewed on YouTube I assumed it was fully out in the wild. Hopefully not a long wait, looks quite cool and always ready to support Amiga endeavours.
Old 12 July 2024, 14:52   #359
amigakit.com

@spannernick

The small amendment to the A600GS User's Guide is available to download as a PDF file:

A600GS User's Guide

@lordofchaos

We are pushing out preorders every day. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Old 13 July 2024, 12:36   #360
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@spannernick

The small amendment to the A600GS User's Guide is available to download as a PDF file:

A600GS User's Guide

@lordofchaos

We are pushing out preorders every day. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Thanks, Mathew...

The A600 GS is better then THEA500 Mini because the community is involved and has no copyright involved with it so has no Amiga name, only its name is copyrighted(well it would, to stop RGL using it like they do), so no AMIGA copyright, thats why THEA500 Mini carousel and firmware is locked down and is limited, its all to do with copyright and they only what you to use there games on the carousel.

I think anything to do with the 68k Amiga should now be free after 40 years (it came out in 1985) but while its making people money it will not, we are causing it because we are making it popular, I think we need a side of the Amiga that free and remake all software like its kickstarts and a free version of Workbench that acts like the Amiga Workbench like Amibench but is free to download, I know we have AROS but it not very compatible and it does not feel like Workbench, I was thinking, how did these demos disks that loaded Workbench have it on them for free so you could load different apps on the disk if Amiga Workbench is copyrighted, Workbench is given away free with Amiga Format demo disks, I guess because not all its files are included on the disk ...?

If I was making a new free Workbench I would start with the demo disks that have it on there for free and that work from there and start adding new commands in it and making the Amiga command binaries it needs, its a bit like Linux, or even a Linux type of Workbench for the Amiga 68k, you could call it Linux Workbench.. .

Last edited by spannernick; 13 July 2024 at 13:08.