English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 July 2024, 17:53   #1221
paraj

Short capture from my 060: https://i.imgur.com/JqyofcK.mp4 (RTG Dev + Hispec). Capture quality is not good, and neither is my gameplay.
Old 06 July 2024, 18:17   #1222
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
Short capture from my 060: https://i.imgur.com/JqyofcK.mp4 (RTG Dev + Hispec). Capture quality is not good, and neither is my gameplay.
You think the game needs a difficulty setting? I'm thinking something simple, like reducing the enemy hit points. Ideally the mod should allow for the addition/removal of items and baddies based on difficulty too.
Old 06 July 2024, 18:19   #1223
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I just realised that first insectoid has the wrong message tag on him when he dies.
Old 06 July 2024, 18:27   #1224
Karlos
Alien Bleed

So in the thick of it you're getting 8-9fps. I'm guessing you need 2/3 mode to play more comfortably
Old 06 July 2024, 19:05   #1225
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
You think the game needs a difficulty setting? I'm thinking something simple, like reducing the enemy hit points. Ideally the mod should allow for the addition/removal of items and baddies based on difficulty too.
I don't really play games TBH (except for testing purposes), so you shouldn't get that sort of input from me. Not that I'm apposed or anything, and used to play a lot more, but they just don't capture my attention anymore (expect for the rare bout, but even then it's usually turn based strategy or classic adventure).

Quote:
So in the thick of it you're getting 8-9fps. I'm guessing you need 2/3 mode to play more comfortably
Yeah, it seems a tiny bit too slow, 12.5 fps that I get with reduced quality is perfectly fine. Just wanted to capture at max. Since it's switchable at runtime it seems fine - you can increase quality to enjoy something and scale down when you need the fast paced action.
Old 06 July 2024, 19:12   #1226
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I know that feeling, I spend way more time in the code and editors than I do playing them. That said, I do want the mod to be an actual game, rather than programmer's art. I need a proper playtester.
Old 06 July 2024, 22:51   #1227
coachman

I checked the latest version of the level C just briefly, had not enough time to finish. The part I went through looks interesting and plays fine. After finding the 1st key (!) and further exploring the area, there is a jump down to a short corridor partly flooded with water (at the end there is another key). There seems to be two issues: 1. After the first jump down, water was not displayed, it appeared suddenly only after moving further forward. 2. When walking through the corridor, the view abruptly alternates above and below the water level, which looks strange. I hope you find this feedback useful.
Old 06 July 2024, 22:59   #1228
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I know the bit you mean. I should lower the water level a little. It's too close to eye level
Old 07 July 2024, 11:33   #1229
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I think I should swap the key ordering a bit. The red key indicators will work a lot better in the dark, red lit area. The yellow exclamation indicator breaks the continuity there.

I'm also thinking to move the plasma gun to the new upper area to give the player more incentive to reach it.

Last edited by Karlos; 07 July 2024 at 11:41.
Old 07 July 2024, 13:05   #1230
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Done and pushed:
- Fixed killed messasge on first insectoid
- Swapped red and exclamation mark keys and door indicators meaning the red door indicator is in the red-lit area. I think the exclamation door indicator looks a bit more in-place in the non-corroded grey metal area too.
- Moved plasma gun location to the upper gantry, with a spotlight above, in the left hand fork of the level start as an incentive to locate the way up. Note that the plasma gun is available in a Level B secret already, so there's no real reason for it to be a hidden secret in C.
- Adjusted the coolant leak water in the area mentioned by @coachman to be always below eye level when standing up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-07-07 12-05-58.png
Views:	35
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	82649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-07-07 12-08-27.png
Views:	41
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	82650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-07-07 12-11-33.png
Views:	39
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	82651  

Last edited by Karlos; 07 July 2024 at 13:12.
Old 08 July 2024, 01:18   #1231
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I think level C is done now. I was able to complete from a pistol start and get to all the secret (and not so secret) areas.

I'd like to merge back into main but would appreciate a playtest from any volunteers.
Old 08 July 2024, 18:56   #1232
Karlos
Alien Bleed

When you accidentally create a lake of blood...

Or maybe summer fruits squash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-07-08 17-55-26.png
Views:	51
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	82666  

Last edited by Karlos; 09 July 2024 at 00:28.
Old 09 July 2024, 14:15   #1233
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Found and fixed another deadend bug in level C that you could encounter when speedrunning. I've unfortunately had to modify some heights in the first lift that you find at the opposite end of the map to prevent a jump exploit into the slightly exposed overlapping upper corridoor. Doing so without the key required to open that area properly would result in being unable to complete.

I fixed a couple of questionable texturing choices, rebalanced some enemy / ammo placements. I am satisfied the level is now reworked Engineering section is done and I'm going to merge.
Old 09 July 2024, 20:59   #1234
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I did find another way to deadend the level. Fixed, pushed and merged.
Old 09 July 2024, 23:29   #1235
eXeler0

Quote:
I think level C is done now. I was able to complete from a pistol start and get to all the secret (and not so secret) areas.

I'd like to merge back into main but would appreciate a playtest from any volunteers.

Will test when Im back with my Amigas ;-)
Old 11 July 2024, 16:07   #1236
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I want to replace the cheeky doom marine with something that fits the theme better.

What I had in mind for this is something like a basic space grunt design, but taken over by something akin to a face hugger. This shouldn't be an exact rip off of the Aliens one either, but the idea is that he's now a total meat puppet, a bit like a Half Life headcrab zombie.

It would help with the immersion if this was done with 3D modelling software so that it can be converted into a .hqn format (the light sourced bitmap that that most baddies use). This adds the complication that you can only use 4 base colours in the design and they should be ones that have plenty of shade variations in the game palette so that the lighting works well. This is why the original green zapper guard looks awful and why I dropped him.

I've tried doing this by hand in the past and it just doesn't work well. Only the properly rendered way seems to give acceptable results.
Old Today, 18:53   #1237
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Small preview of the hopefully final Level C

[ Show youtube player ]
Old Today, 19:18   #1238
grond

Looking at the bits around 4:10 in the video, is there any chance that the weapons are made to actually point up or down depending on the direction the shots go? I'm not against this autoaim feature as such but visually it looks really odd...
Old Today, 19:20   #1239
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Looking at the bits around 4:10 in the video, is there any chance that the weapons are made to actually point up or down depending on the direction the shots go? I'm not against this autoaim feature as such but visually it looks really odd...
I think that could be related to the vertical look issue that we still have. Essentially, vertical aiming only seems to work correctly in 2/3 size...

Actually no, that's the auto aim. Need to allow that to be disabled but a cross hair option needs the vertical look fix.