English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 July 2024, 19:40   #1
Photon

File manager to unzip file from FTP/network on OS3.1?

Have Amiga with 8MB RAM, assume working AmiTCP. Looking at local network file transfer options.

You're talking to a DOpus noob, so maybe I just mount <ip>/folder as an assign and it appears in DOpus and we're done. Just my first time.

From PC to Amiga, I'll typically be unarchiving from the FTP to folder/files on the Amiga CF. I don't want to first copy, then unarchive.

If network folder, I guess I have to set up a local file server on my Win11x64 laptop?

The Windows source folder will be a subfolder of my Dropbox, with subfolders within to navigate on the Amiga. Problem?

From Amiga to PC, I will typically not archive but transfer individual selected files located in several locations on the CF.

I'm looking for the fastest (in user actions and seconds, when the thought occurs anytime) way to transfer/unpack 5-10 files at a time, in WB, with a GUI.

Cheers for your experiences.

p.s. Can I experiment with WinUAE on another PC and hope to connect to the laptop?

Last edited by Photon; 03 July 2024 at 19:54.
Old 03 July 2024, 20:03   #2
DisasterIncarna

Amiga <> PC, is samba no good for direct unarchiving? we have the older SMBFS samba method that uses samba v1 (in my case i enable v1 support on my home NAS for my amiga related stuff) and theres the more recent one that handles V2&3 samba.

No idea whats best but i just use the samba method along with Filemaster3.
Old 03 July 2024, 20:24   #3
Photon

Thx DisasterIncarna,
Samba would be the thought that comes to mind for Windows local file server, but I want to ask openly like this to find out what people use. I've not actually set up Samba on PC, but I can see if there's a guide for Win11. I'm guessing I should turn on the Windows feature Samba v2 and install file server software.

SMB2 has some instructions Amiga-side that will probably help a first-timer like me.
Old 03 July 2024, 21:30   #4
thomas

From my experience, smbfs does not work with Windows shares and SMB2 always stalls after a few seconds. There is no real SMB solution to work with Windows.

smbfs works quite well with Samba shares on Linux. I use it a lot to access OpenMediaVault on a Raspberry Pi.

For Windows I would suggest an FTP solution. There is Quick 'n Easy FTP Server. It is a single exe file, very easy to run and configure. On the Amiga side you can use just any FTP client. For example FTPMount which lets you access FTP sites like local drives.

https://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.c...rver_lite.html
http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/FTPMount
Old 03 July 2024, 22:29   #5
Photon

Thx Thomas. I'm about to try SMB Direct (SMB 3.1.1) (already enabled in Win11 Features) with smb2fs, and try with a (no CF card) WB setup in WinUAE on the same PC.

DisasterIncarna, did what you mentioned work on Windows?
Old 03 July 2024, 22:49   #6
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
From my experience, smbfs does not work with Windows shares and SMB2 always stalls after a few seconds. There is no real SMB solution to work with Windows.

smbfs works quite well with Samba shares on Linux. I use it a lot to access OpenMediaVault on a Raspberry Pi.

For Windows I would suggest an FTP solution. There is Quick 'n Easy FTP Server. It is a single exe file, very easy to run and configure. On the Amiga side you can use just any FTP client. For example FTPMount which lets you access FTP sites like local drives.

https://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.c...rver_lite.html
http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/FTPMount
SMBFS does not work because windows disabled samba V1 support due to "security issues", i dont use windows as an OS anymore and all my shares are on a local ASUSTOR NAS, the NAS can even pass through shares from other sources like when i did use a windows PC, the windows shares were seen on the NAS and while windows did not have samba V1 support, my NAS is setup to accept Samba V1 connections so i can access all my linux/nas/whatever samba shares direct from 1 source, the NAS.

My Amiga setups access the NAS no problem and i can access everything that way without adding Samba V1 and any vulnerabilities to my main PC's.

I have not tried the new amiga Samba V2/3 yet, i still run the older SMBFS, i added scripts for each of my shares individually and they all get executes 1 at a time in a manor similar to how our monitors are dealt with in the startup-sequence.

This is near the bottom of my startup-sequence and makes a folder in Ram:t and puts share folders inside and lets them be snapshottable.

Code:
; Prepare RAM SMB Shares Folder and Left Out Icon
  Makedir >NIL: RAM:T/Shares
  Makelink RAM:T/Shares.info TO S:IconSnapshots/Shares.info SOFT
  Makelink RAM:.backdrop TO S:IconSnapshots/Shares.backdrop SOFT
; END SMB Share Icon
This is a script in WBStartup and given a low priority so its the last or 1 of the last to run, i have all the shares it uses that i want accessible as individual scripts in SYS:Shares/Config.

Code:
;BEGIN MOUNT ALL SMB NETWORK SHARES
  MakeDir Ram:T/SMB-Scripts >NIL:
  Copy SYS:Shares/Configs/~(#?.info) RAM:T/SMB-Scripts QUIET >NIL:
  Type RAM:T/SMB-Scripts/#? > RAM:T/SMB-Devices
  Execute RAM:T/SMB-Devices >NIL:
  Delete RAM:T/SMB-Devices QUIET >NIL:
  Delete RAM:T/SMB-Scripts ALL QUIET >NIL:
;END MOUNT SMB SHARES
This is an example script to use SMBFS to mount a share, there is a script for each share which the above script in WBStartup executes.

Code:
RUN <>NIL: smbfs Workgroup=WORKGROUP User=exampleuser Password=examplepassword service=//192.168.1.20/nvme2 DEVICE=NAS2: VOLUME=NVME2: TRANSLATE=L:FileSystem_TRANS/INTL.crossdos quiet
MakeLink RAM:T/Shares/NVME2 NAS2: SOFT

if Not Exists SYS:Prefs/DEF_Shares/NVME2.info
  Copy Envarc:Sys/DEF_Drawer.info SYS:Prefs/DEF_Shares/NVME2.info Quiet
Endif
Makelink RAM:T/Shares/NVME2.info SYS:Prefs/DEF_Shares/NVME2.info SOFT >NIL:
^ the above script i just duplicated and changed for all my shares, it mounts the share in question, makes a softlink from the mounted device which SMBFS makes and puts that link into RAM:T/Shares which if you look at the above startup-sequence script snippet that folder is "left out" on the workbench and when opened contains all the softlinked folders for every share added so all shares are accessible from 1 location. Lastly, icon(s) are sorted if needed.

I only did it this long windwd way to make it feel a bit more OS friendly, making it work a bit similar to how our monitor drivers are listed/executed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	os32-shares.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	82601  

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 03 July 2024 at 22:57.
Old 04 July 2024, 00:18   #7
Liqourice

I've made the solution with a NAS that also supports samba. Sure, it's a two-step transfer but it work perfectly. Still a lot faster than using Amiga Explorer even if I have to do it in two steps.

Otherwise I'd also suggest FTP. I've run it that way before with no issues. If you limit the FTP server to only accept LAN access and nothing from WAN it shouldn't be a security issue.
Old 04 July 2024, 08:51   #8
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
SMBFS does not work because windows disabled samba V1 support due to "security issues"
That's not the problem, you can re-enable SMB V1 if you really want to. The problem is that you only get empty or currupted file contents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqourice View Post
Still a lot faster than using Amiga Explorer even if I have to do it in two steps.
There is nothing which is faster than Amiga Explorer (over ethernet of course, not serial). But it is the wrong direction. It has a file explorer on Windows and only a small client on AmigaOS. The question was after a file explorer on AmigaOS which can access files on Windows.
Old 04 July 2024, 09:18   #9
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I highly recommend RetroNAS if you want an Amiga-friendly SMB host without most of the hassle.

It also comes with a lot of other retro-focused NAS tools and FTP as well.

https://github.com/retronas/retronas
Old 04 July 2024, 11:23   #10
Liqourice

Quote:
There is nothing which is faster than Amiga Explorer (over ethernet of course, not serial). But it is the wrong direction. It has a file explorer on Windows and only a small client on AmigaOS. The question was after a file explorer on AmigaOS which can access files on Windows.

And as far as I know there is no way to do that, except for using samba. I haven't tried to set up a share via samba on any of my pcs so I can't say if it works or not. I've mostly used AE and it is slow, I find it faster to use my NAS as a middleman.

To be honest though, I've always wondered why they didn't make AE go both ways so you can explore your PC from your Amiga.
Old 04 July 2024, 12:32   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

@Photon

SMB2 works perfectly on both Amiga and AROS, on the Windows side you have to create a Share, or rather a Network drive.

The only problem that Windows has is that if you don't use the share, it deactivates it after about 15 munits, but this is not a problem, just unmount the DOSDriver and redo the mount.

I enclose a Tutorial of mine showing how to create the mountlist, mount SBM2 from Shell, from Amistart, Icon or automatically from Devs/DOSDriver, in the latter case you have to delay the mount !

I also created scripts for dismount and restart automatic SMB2 when Windows disables sharing

SMB2 Tutorial, Shared Folder or Network Drive:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 July 2024, 13:24   #12
Photon

Thx guys. Yesterday I test-installed the components:
1. AmiTCP: suggests root as install dir, and unlike all other programs, it really means it! Apart from that NP.
2. SMB2FS: Just a few cryptic questions that seem to be regarding the Amiga as Host, which I didn't get. NapsaTerm didn't find the right version of bsdsocket.library tho, which was as far as my testing went since this was on WinUAE and I don't think it provides software Ethernet support. (?)
3. Don't turn on automatic connection in s-s. E.g. ACTIVATE=1 or login. Then you won't reach WB if there's anything wrong with the connection or PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqourice View Post
I've made the solution with a NAS that also supports samba. Sure, it's a two-step transfer but it work perfectly. Still a lot faster than using Amiga Explorer even if I have to do it in two steps.

Otherwise I'd also suggest FTP. I've run it that way before with no issues. If you limit the FTP server to only accept LAN access and nothing from WAN it shouldn't be a security issue.
FTP always works but likes to time out even if you turn it off. Which FTP server for Win11x64?

I can't use two steps as this will be prone to error (files in multiple directories). But I've thought of a "Wifi USB stick" where PC does the heavy lifting and to Amiga it just looks like another drive. This however is not ideal for my primary use case (copying source files from Amiga to Dropbox without a 2nd step - the CF card).

Quote:
That was from the preservation of file flags. If Amiga Explorer can speak PFS, it can unarchive the lhas PC end and send the files (but sending the lhas could still be the better idea). It looks really good! I bought an AF license long ago - is it sandboxed or some trick to it, or is it like all other programs on all other computers. (Sometimes you must ask this about AF.)

I've thought about tethering. It's rather ugly, but if overhead from TCP/IP could be removed and thus get faster transfers, USB cable is an option. Will only be for the Amiga nearest the laptop tho I suppose. I guess cable would eliminate all connection issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
I highly recommend RetroNAS if you want an Amiga-friendly SMB host without most of the hassle.

It also comes with a lot of other retro-focused NAS tools and FTP as well.

https://github.com/retronas/retronas
Seems there's no Windows port?

Also: Instead of SMB, what about NFS? As you can see, Win11 must be made to support it. Or maybe I should get Server, I mean it's supposed to be one.
Old 04 July 2024, 17:48   #13
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
NetFS is nice for Amiga <>Amiga(or Amiga <>Winuae) The server side will startup with the TCP stack and you call netmount to mount a drive from the other machine. Can also setup a mountfile so it tried to mount them from boot up but if the other machine is not there to respond you may get some errors or slowdown.

I will say be sure to set NoCrypt else the connection will be dog slow on anything less than an 060.
Old 04 July 2024, 20:01   #14
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
NetFS is nice for Amiga <>Amiga(or Amiga <>Winuae) The server side will startup with the TCP stack and you call netmount to mount a drive from the other machine. Can also setup a mountfile so it tried to mount them from boot up but if the other machine is not there to respond you may get some errors or slowdown.

I will say be sure to set NoCrypt else the connection will be dog slow on anything less than an 060.
All right, yes probably I could download the stuff I want to transfer to a folder that WinUAE sees - I guess this confirms that WinUAE does have Ethernet.

It would save a step though to not have to start WinUAE to transfer a handful of files for morning coffee.

So I have to say (for a bog standard Windows computer) Amiga Explorer looks to be the fewest steps so far and also dispenses with Samba/FTP with still a vanilla Ethernet install on the Amiga (+ light-weight client software).

The big Q is if it requires something from the "Amiga Forever Ecosystem", shall we say (that would limit me in some way that is). There's usually always something, forgive me for being suspicious/rational.

Another aspect:
Manual syncing <-> NAS or anything else (e.g. "Downloads folder") is fraught with danger: once a file is copied, version history is in doubt. Which copy is newer? Only way to guaranteed preserve date is to archive it. Yech. NetFS WinUAE -> Amiga should do that? They all do that? (For the network source and destination folder only, I mean.)

The desired operation to guarantee this when sending/receiving, is that writes create the file and set the date of the original, and overwrites delete the previous file, create the file and set the date of the original. (Modified date.)

Last edited by Photon; 04 July 2024 at 20:40.