English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 July 2024, 17:00   #221
Shaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Most people didn't use the Amiga much beyond inserting a copy of SWOS into their A500's internal drive and turning it on.
however you would expect that at least they know how to hold the joystick...
Old 03 July 2024, 17:11   #222
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaytan View Post
however you would expect that at least they know how to hold the joystick...
Indeed

I guess also that there's a disconnect between physical DB9 ports and their route into the emulated ports which causes confusion, especially when you connect a mouse...
Old 03 July 2024, 18:20   #223
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
The most basic Amiga usage seems forgotten .. Unable to change time? No internet tested ? Amibench needs tested properly!
I would like to think it should be as user friendly as it can be. I know it will end up being yet-another-box™ for Amiga fans, but the goal should be to get people that are clueless (either because they never used one or forget how to) about the Amiga to pick it up and use it.
Old 03 July 2024, 19:50   #224
Pyromania

How’s the performance of a A600GS vs something like a Amiga 4000T 060?
Old 03 July 2024, 20:28   #225
lesta_smsc

I think we need someone to run that Sysinfo benchmark tool on this!
Old 03 July 2024, 21:17   #226
amigakit.com

This is the speed we get reported from SysInfo:

Old 03 July 2024, 23:28   #227
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I am just wondering ... what is its real hardware, all the Amiga hardware is emulated so it can easy be a A500 all the way to a 4000T depending on its settings its using, What it using inside it, what ARM SoC does it use CPU/GPU?
I just ordered the A600 GS... GS - Game System like C64GS.

Last edited by spannernick; 03 July 2024 at 23:46.
Old 04 July 2024, 00:03   #228
dankcomputing

All I care about are the controllers. The earlier incarnation of AmigaKit's CD32 pads are out of stock and the ones they're making for the A600GS appear to be improved. If they can get the price down it would become the new standard - every Amiga user should have a CD32 controller.

All the other controllers (KTRL etc) are out of stock.
Old 04 July 2024, 05:21   #229
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
I am just wondering ... what is its real hardware, all the Amiga hardware is emulated so it can easy be a A500 all the way to a 4000T depending on its settings its using, What it using inside it, what ARM SoC does it use CPU/GPU?
I just ordered the A600 GS... GS - Game System like C64GS.

Aren't you that fellow who runs various websites and subreddits dedicated to mini consoles such as THEC64, THEA500, THE400, etc.?

If so, we should all pay closer attention to the A600GS. If a connoisseur like you has entered its ecosystem, you must see enough aspects you like to have taken the plunge...
Old 04 July 2024, 05:25   #230
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
This is the speed we get reported from SysInfo:

Wow... 250+ MIPS. The Vampire V4 only does around 150 MIPS.

The A600GS is a Vampire-killer? And it does it without the use of sunlight, holy crosses, and garlic!
Old 04 July 2024, 07:16   #231
Pyromania

Maybe volume sales of this machine can help AmigaKit. I don’t think low volume sales of A1222 Plus or X5000 helps the bottom line like the high volume sales potential of the A600GS. I wonder who came up with that machine name?
Old 04 July 2024, 07:39   #232
Korban

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I've been looking at info of this new stuff last 2 hours, but still can't find out what is it's actual speed?
Something like A500 mini?
Faster? Slower?
Its about %20 slower than a500 mini if those sysspeed numbers are anything to go by and about 60% slower than a pi4 running Amiberry and about 15x slower than a pi4 equipped pistorm with pi4.
A500mini when set to max speed with JIY doesnt a whiskter sy of 300mips.

Seems this A600gs is the slowest available option by a large margin.
Old 04 July 2024, 08:12   #233
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I wonder who came up with that machine name?
Commodore, more or less, not that that ever stopped AmigaKit's questionable trademarking activites.
Old 04 July 2024, 09:22   #234
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban View Post
Its about %20 slower than a500 mini if those sysspeed numbers are anything to go by and about 60% slower than a pi4 running Amiberry and about 15x slower than a pi4 equipped pistorm with pi4.
A500mini when set to max speed with JIY doesnt a whiskter sy of 300mips.

Seems this A600gs is the slowest available option by a large margin.
Did you get 300 MIPS on THEA500 Mini from your own SysInfo tests?

According to this page, THEA500 can do around 173 MIPS:

https://amigang.com/amigamini-thea500/

Also, I already mentioned above that Vampire V4 is doing 150 MIPS. So if we're comparing small portable Amiga devices, your claim that the A600GS is the slowest option isn't true.
Old 04 July 2024, 10:03   #235
lesta_smsc

A500Mini costs more than Raspberry Pi 4, slower than it, and it's in a not-fit-for-purpose case. The Raspberry Pi 400 has become an Amiga more than the A500Mini thanks to a working keyboard.

Yet we still have people going over to A500Mini for use or comparison. There are better solutions in using Raspberry Pi inside a 3D printed Amiga case than resorting to A500Mini.

I don't have an A600GS, but I'm still in favour of its existence as it gives people a usable, legal solution for Amiga, and there is a desire for more features, e.g., shop.

One thing I would have preferred is a bundled keyboard or placing it in a keyboard, so it mimicked an Amiga!

There's going to be a lot of love and hate. You can't please everyone, and there's no reason to. If you don't like it. Don't buy it. If you really don't like it, buy it - do a review and tell us why! Lol

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 04 July 2024 at 10:21.
Old 04 July 2024, 10:27   #236
Korban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio D. View Post
Did you get 300 MIPS on THEA500 Mini from your own SysInfo tests?

According to this page, THEA500 can do around 173 MIPS:

https://amigang.com/amigamini-thea500/

Also, I already mentioned above that Vampire V4 is doing 150 MIPS. So if we're comparing small portable Amiga devices, your claim that the A600GS is the slowest option isn't true.
I got my sysspeed results from creating a config that is set to fastest possible with JIT enabled. I ran them myself, didnt rely on a 3rd party source.

And Im talking about software emulated solutions sold for money. In that regard it IS the slowest option by a wide margin.
Old 04 July 2024, 10:33   #237
Korban

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
A500Mini costs more than Raspberry Pi 4, slower than it, and it's in a not-fit-for-purpose case. The Raspberry Pi 400 has become an Amiga more than the A500Mini thanks to a working keyboard.

Yet we still have people going over to A500Mini for use or comparison. There are better solutions in using Raspberry Pi inside a 3D printed Amiga case than resorting to A500Mini.

I don't have an A600GS, but I'm still in favour of its existence as it gives people a usable, legal solution for Amiga, and there is a desire for more features, e.g., shop.

One thing I would have preferred is a bundled keyboard or placing it in a keyboard, so it mimicked an Amiga!

There's going to be a lot of love and hate. You can't please everyone, and there's no reason to. If you don't like it. Don't buy it. If you really don't like it, buy it - do a review and tell us why! Lol
You dont get a mouse, controller, nor a plethora of legal software with a Pi4 solution. If you take that into account the A500mini is far better value for what you get.
And its not like you cant connect a keyboard to the A500mini either. The A600gs doesnt come with a keyboard either.
The comparison is an obvious one. Theyre both out of the box solutions and dont require piracy, or a lot of money and/or effort in buying all the software provided.
Old 04 July 2024, 13:09   #238
BigD

Quote:

THEA500 is an official licenced product in a market full of litigation and expensive Amiga wannabes! I personally have no interest in getting a generic Pi400 solution however fast it is!

THEA500 Mini is suited for a wireless keyboard/mouse for living room use! A wedge Amiga is actually a downside in that environment! THEA500 Mini is basically a modern CD32 that pays lip service to the A500 because that's the 'box' that most people are nostalgic for. It doesn't mean we need to cling to all the limitations of the A500; 1-button joystick control, tethered wedge form factor for the keyboard and Workbench only program launching!
Old 04 July 2024, 14:47   #239
d4rk3lf

Quote:
If you don't like it. Don't buy it. If you really don't like it, buy it - do a review and tell us why! Lol
He could create a thread:
Was anyone else disappointed with the A600GS?
Old 04 July 2024, 14:52   #240
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio D. View Post
Wow... 250+ MIPS. The Vampire V4 only does around 150 MIPS.
My thoughts exactly...
Since Vampire can run Quake, A600GS might run Quake 2, and for sure Doom, for all Amiga Doom lovers.
I am not interested in these sort of games, so for all I care, It could be even much slower, but I am curious to see some testing on the 3D games.

Eventually, I might try some rendering in Lightwave.

But painting in PPaint in fullHD, and playing with Octamed... I can't wait to try it.

Quote:
Agreed.
Sure, I have a spare keyboard that I could connect, but would like option to purchase keyboard, so I get full package.
But I guess a majority of users are not like that.