English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Tutorials

Old 02 July 2024, 00:04   #161
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop View Post
it would be preferable not to discard known symbol data from HUNK_SYMBOL if possible. The config file symbols do not have an associated section, but HUNK_SYMBOLs do, would it be possible to parse and store this information to use in this situation?
Yes, of course you can. I even wrote the code today to do that - although I think it is not worth the effort, just for a symbol at the beginning of a section which doesn't show up when the previous section is empty. How often is that a problem?

In most cases executables have neither symbols nor empty sections. And then you still have the
SECSTRT_n
label.

At the end of the day I had to realise that I still cannot determine if a label should be generated for the empty section or the following section, because the offset is identical. Label-generation is triggered by offsets stored in the
ira->LabelAdr2[]
array. And its index (
p2labind
) will be incremented as long as the current offset matches.

Nothing is impossible, and I might have another look this week, but I fear the solution of this problem would need much bigger modifications.
Old 02 July 2024, 11:28   #162
kamelito
Zone Friend

Dunno how often but as it has been generated by an old C compiler it could be seen elsewhere I guess.
Old 02 July 2024, 11:41   #163
hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Yes, of course you can. I even wrote the code today to do that - although I think it is not worth the effort, just for a symbol at the beginning of a section which doesn't show up when the previous section is empty. How often is that a problem?

In most cases executables have neither symbols nor empty sections. And then you still have the
SECSTRT_n
label.

At the end of the day I had to realise that I still cannot determine if a label should be generated for the empty section or the following section, because the offset is identical. Label-generation is triggered by offsets stored in the
ira->LabelAdr2[]
array. And its index (
p2labind
) will be incremented as long as the current offset matches.

Nothing is impossible, and I might have another look this week, but I fear the solution of this problem would need much bigger modifications.
Thank you very much for taking the time to look into this. I appreciate that it is not a high-priority issue, but in the interest of correctness I think it is worth doing, if it is not too much work. As @kamelito says, this may be a feature of a common toolchain, although shipping with debug symbols in place may be less common!

Would it be possible to add another array alongside
ira->LabelAdr2[]
of equal size called something like
ira->LabelHunkIndex[]
? The elements would default to -1 (unknown hunk) but when symbols are added from a
HUNK_SYMBOL
it could be set to a valid value. Then this could be read in
WriteSection

Last edited by hop; 02 July 2024 at 11:44. Reason: typo, correction
Old 02 July 2024, 11:43   #164
kamelito
Zone Friend

There is many games and some apps that contains symbols.