English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 29 June 2024, 20:44   #1
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Denise C64 mode problems!

Here is the list of problems found while testing some of protected disks in Denise C64 mode:

01) out_run_s1[us_gold_1988](pal)(!) ... loading problem!? (fine in vice)

02) andy_capp[mirrorsoft_1987)(pal) ... loading problem!? (fine in vice & hoxs)

03) falcon_patrol[advantage_1983] ... loading problem!? (fine in vice & hoxs)

- If you drag-n-drop it like a zip file to the power button, it won't work!? (but it will in vice & hoxs)
- If unzip it in 7-zip and switch from there with d'n'd to power button, it will work!
- If transfer it with zip, but so that it does not start automatically, and then load/start with: LOAD"FALCON",8 then RUN, it will work!
- If you are in freshly started denise with Amiga mode and drag-n-drop it to Amiga window (not power button), it might work as zip!
Old 29 June 2024, 22:39   #2
PiCiJi

nightly:

unfortunately there are many G64s in circulation, which are adapted to the (incomplete) emulation at that time in order to be able to run. Some of them only work in VICE because they don't emulate motor deceleration. I have reduced the emulation of the motor deceleration in this nightly. So it moves away from the original. Basically, I only need this for a few games.

- out_run_s1[us_gold_1988](pal)(!)
shouldn't work or only sometimes on real device(Denise, Ulimate II+)
try it multiple times for success
- andy_capp[mirrorsoft_1987)(pal) ... loading problem!? (fine in vice)
shouldn't work or only sometimes on real device
try it multiple times in VICE and it crashes sometimes.
now same in Denise
disable drive wobble to get it running each time (far too scarce on real device)

03) falcon_patrol[advantage_1983] ... loading problem!? (fine in vice &
should work better now, same like the others, try it multipe times
Old 29 June 2024, 23:27   #3
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Thanks for checking!

Tested, and yes, exactly as you described... the only problem I had was with out_run, but it also worked after countless attempts.

If so, I guess it's probably not worth the time and effort to report problems like this anymore.
Old 29 June 2024, 23:40   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Add Nib Support. Maybe somewhat useful for testing original preserved games but not converted to other formats. Micro64 has it.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 30 June 2024 at 00:15.
Old 30 June 2024, 10:47   #5
PiCiJi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438
Tested, and yes, exactly as you described... the only problem I had was with out_run, but it also worked after countless attempts.
with disabled motor deceleration game works with the same probability like VICE.
However, Star-Trekking 86 (not working in VICE), which depends on the emulation of the motor deceleration, no longer works.
Quote:
If so, I guess it's probably not worth the time and effort to report problems like this anymore.
It probably makes sense, but should not be the highest priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
Add Nib Support. Maybe somewhat useful for testing original preserved games but not converted to other formats. Micro64 has it.
I wish there had been a community that would have transferred all the games to the P64 format. Because this format is also independent of the emulator's capabilities and measures exactly the distance between the flux changes.
On the subject of G64: A small team in Forum64 has created more up-to-date G64 after the floppy controller emulation was revised by the SPS team for VICE. For copyright reasons, however, these cannot be published "officially".
Old 30 June 2024, 12:19   #6
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCiJi View Post
with disabled motor deceleration game works with the same probability like VICE.
However, Star-Trekking 86 (not working in VICE), which depends on the emulation of the motor deceleration, no longer works.
Quote:
On the subject of G64: A small team in Forum64 has created more up-to-date G64 after the floppy controller emulation was revised by the SPS team for VICE. For copyright reasons, however, these cannot be published "officially".
If there is a possibility that the new versions of g64 differ in something, eg. some identification byte, then it is possible that the emulator itself turns on/off deceleration depending on the version of the file!?

And if not, there's always the option to put some switch in the emulator, with a bubble explaining the difference, and thus enable both versions.

Quote:
It probably makes sense, but should not be the highest priority.
Not high on my priority list either! (but occasionally, maybe)

Last edited by amilo3438; 30 June 2024 at 13:34.
Old 30 June 2024, 20:27   #7
PiCiJi

Quote:
And if not, there's always the option to put some switch in the emulator, with a bubble explaining the difference, and thus enable both versions.
That makes it complicated for users. To get certain G64s to work, you can also achieve the balance via the drive speed and the disk wobble.
Old Yesterday, 13:19   #8
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
To get certain G64s to work, you can also achieve the balance via the drive speed and the disk wobble.
This reminds me of the C64 tape head azimuth adjustment!

I think I found an mistake in tape drives "Datasette Wobble" balloon!? ("... fluctuations in disk drive..." -> disk drive?)