English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 29 June 2024, 20:41   #101
Megalomaniac

16-bit games (be they Amiga, SNES or Megadrive) generally hold more appeal to me than 8-bit games (be they Spectrum, C64, Master System or NES) or indeed later consoles (by which time using 'bits' as a measure of system power really doesn't work. I think it's a consequence of having got my Spectrum when it was quite old and I was quite young, whereas I got my Amiga in its heyday when I was slightly older (and kept it for a lot longer). If you were born in 1972 and got a Spectrum when they were quite new, replaced it with an Amiga in 1988 but was moving on from games by that age, it may well be the exact reverse? Interesting to find someone who likes the look of Spectrum games - when I had one I often envied the C64 (and, if there were any, Amstrad) screenshots on the box (if you wanted an arcade machine in your home, the C64 was the theoretical better choice) , but the Spectrum's resolution advantage means that some games can look better on the Spectrum, if designed within its capabilities.
Old 29 June 2024, 23:29   #102
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
If you were born in 1972 and got a Spectrum when they were quite new, replaced it with an Amiga in 1988 but was moving on from games by that age, it may well be the exact reverse?
That was me, but '73. And yes I'm still a huge Speccy fanatic even now and have a few ongoing projects that fall into that category

The A1000 had more to do than the Speccy did (though Speccy BASIC beat the pants off AmigaBASIC, I have to say) and for a long time I was exclusively Amiga until later when I returned to the Speccy in a big way.