English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 June 2024, 05:59   #21
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrass View Post
CRTs have some smearing in motion as well, due to phosphor persistence. Do people not notice this?
It's a bit different than the LCD one, much less jarring. In any case, motion (or latency) is not the main reason I swear by CRTs, it's the fact that on LCD the image looks completely different (do people not notice?) - imo terrible. Even using scalers and achieving the super sharp, clean "emulator" look, it's still unnatural and unacceptable for me.

For that reason, if I ever had to stop using CRTs (the apocalypse is coming fast, in the area where I live now they are nigh on impossible to find) I'd only go with solutions which enable shaders.
Old 29 June 2024, 07:20   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Modern scaler gives you the CRT 240p/288p look with very authentic looking filters (PVM, BVM, consumer TVs, arcade monitors etc). It's not as good as PC Emulation with the best shaders, but convincing enough for the most people.
Old 29 June 2024, 08:34   #23
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Modern scaler gives you the CRT 240p/288p look with very authentic looking filters (PVM, BVM, consumer TVs, arcade monitors etc). It's not as good as PC Emulation with the best shaders, but convincing enough for the most people.
Yeah, but at the moment only RetroTink top model supports this, right? Or are there any other options? (I don't mean just basic scanlines like OSSC).

I'm pretty sure in the next five years there will be more choice in this regard, so I suppose this will be covered....but still...glass is glass
Old 29 June 2024, 12:35   #24
simokun

I hope it's useful
on the http://15khz.wikidot.com page I added the "Year of Production" column and some test dates, we will update it gradually

I'm always looking for recent monitors, I also hope for your collaboration
Old 29 June 2024, 13:33   #25
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrass View Post
I gave up looking for 15kHz displays long ago. Too many compromises. Get a good scaler and then you have a much wider selection of monitors available.
I tried to use OSSC for a while but got too annoyed with sonI ditched it. Its great for other consoles that always use same resolution, on the Amiga with a bunch of different screenmodes, for me, it was too much hassle.
Old 29 June 2024, 14:16   #26
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
OLED+BFI+HDR (for counter the dimming) is good enough for me in app 80-90% of all cases. The motion clarity is very good, except for some insanely fast scroller. With low latency boost mode on (which is enabled via VRR feature) the LG devices have nearly zero display lag (BFI though adds of course one extra frame of lag).
I really want a RetroTink 4K one of these days - the shaders look insane and imho could well replace a CRT.

It’s certainly not cheap, but good luck purchasing a decently sized CRT for a decent price these days. It seems that hoarders (I have seen people with 8+ 1084S…) have hiked up the prices for everyone.

I certainly would love to free all the space used up by my CRTs (one 1084S and a 31khz monitor) - it would mean more space for the machines themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I tried to use OSSC for a while but got too annoyed with sonI ditched it. Its great for other consoles that always use same resolution, on the Amiga with a bunch of different screenmodes, for me, it was too much hassle.
Same here, my OSSC lies unused - I can’t be arsed to manually switch saved configs every 5 minutes. Great for NES, SNES and the likes, but terrible for PS1 upwards.
Old 29 June 2024, 17:02   #27
Fuzzball

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post

Good to know as I was seriously considering one. So it doesn't deal well with screenmode changes?

How does the rgb2hdmi mod compare? Can that deal okay with the screenmode changing?

Any recommended scalers for the Amiga rather than the OSSC?
Old 29 June 2024, 21:28   #28
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Yeah, but at the moment only RetroTink top model supports this, right? Or are there any other options? (I don't mean just basic scanlines like OSSC).

I'm pretty sure in the next five years there will be more choice in this regard, so I suppose this will be covered....but still...glass is glass

Complete CRT filter support, with scanlines and masks, are only supported via Retro Tink 5x Pro and the 4K Tink. On the latter the masks looks very authentic, even magnified in 5x-10x.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 29 June 2024 at 21:45.
Old 29 June 2024, 21:48   #29
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
Good to know as I was seriously considering one. So it doesn't deal well with screenmode changes?

How does the rgb2hdmi mod compare? Can that deal okay with the screenmode changing?

I have not tried retroTink but on A500 and A2000 I have RGB2HDMI and it works great. better than any scalers Ive seen.
Old 29 June 2024, 21:54   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

For Amiga only, when you want all Amiga resolutions, RGB2HDMI is probably the best solution i guess. Sadly there is no proper soluton for AGA machines.

And NO, the Indivision isn't good enough. The scaling doesn't look good enough from what i've seen so far. The Tinks are much better. On the other hand: I tried the Minimig core via Mister and Retrotink 4k, which supports higher RTG resolutions (1080p/720p). And it looks very good.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 29 June 2024 at 22:26.
Old 29 June 2024, 22:32   #31
eXeler0

Quote:
For Amiga only, when you want all Amiga resolutions, RGB2HDMI is probably the best solution i guess. Sadly there is no proper soluton for AGA machines.

And NO, the Indivision isn't good enough. The scaling doesn't look good enough from what i've seen so far. The Tinks are much better. On the other hand: I tried the Minimig core via Mister and Retrotink 4k, which supports higher RTG resolutions (1080p/720p). And it looks very good.

You just reminded me I bought a Indivision mk3 like 2 years ago which I still havent installed in one of the A1200s
Old 29 June 2024, 23:20   #32
LordCrass

The OSSC with the 1.x firmware supports CRT mask effects now. Looks best at higher resolutions such as 5x.

OSSC Pro supports even more of these and looks great. It also has a frame buffer so there's no drop-out on resolution changes if you configure it to do so and it's also a lot more compatible with displays that don't support non-standard resolutions and refresh rates that older systems can output. Of course, if you tell it to force 60Hz output for compatibility reasons, you won't get smooth scrolling on a 50Hz PAL game. It's also got bob, weave, and motion-adaptive de-interlacing options, where the original OSSC only has bob (flicker).

I use the RGBtoHDMI on my A500s. For CRT effects, it currently only supports scanlines with adjustable brightness, but the picture quality is about the best you can get otherwise. It's got a weave de-interlacer which I find best for desktop usage. It will re-sync on resolution changes, causing brief black screen. I don't find this to be an issue with the Amiga. Unlike some other platforms, there's so few programs that will change resolutions in a situation where the delay matters.
Old Yesterday, 03:59   #33
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
https://amigastore.eu/en/909-medusa-...andoubler.html
http://medusa-sc.org/index.php?title=Description