English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 27 June 2024, 19:20   #1
Fuzzball

How do you deal with a HDMI port for the RGB2HDMI mod?

I am looking at HDMI options for the Amiga 500. The most popular seems to be the RGB2HDMI mod but I am struggling to see a good option for a HDMI port on the case.

I can see a 3D printed option that sits in the top of the case but I think that is a bit ugly. Also, it also requires soldering a button (to access the onscreen menu I believe). Soldering for me is out of the question.

I also think it is quite telling how every single Youtube video on the RGB2HDMI mod always then tests it with the case open. None of them address the issue of how to use this mod with the case closed.

How do you deal with it? Alternative what other HDMI options are there?
Old 27 June 2024, 21:59   #2
jbilander

Hi, one option is you can use a flat FFC/FPC adapter cable and you don't have to modify the case.

Available on AliExpress, search on "FPV HDMI-Compatible Connector Flexible Flat Cable Raspberry Pi" and you will find.

you need one HDMI receptacle of type A and one HDMI Mini male (Type C) connector and the flat cable, for example

Connector-A4
Connector-C1
FFC 10cm (or whatever length you prefer)

Depending on what RGB2HDMI board you have you might prefer one of the angled connectors instead.
Old 28 June 2024, 00:21   #3
SkulleateR

Those cables can also be obtained at AMA or EBay ... I prefer that too
Old 28 June 2024, 10:07   #4
Fuzzball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilander View Post
Hi, one option is you can use a flat FFC/FPC adapter cable and you don't have to modify the case.

Available on AliExpress, search on "FPV HDMI-Compatible Connector Flexible Flat Cable Raspberry Pi" and you will find.

you need one HDMI receptacle of type A and one HDMI Mini male (Type C) connector and the flat cable, for example

Connector-A4
Connector-C1
FFC 10cm (or whatever length you prefer)

Depending on what RGB2HDMI board you have you might prefer one of the angled connectors instead.

What about the menu button? Isn't there a menu button to enter the setup menus for the rgb2hdmi?

Where is that cable exiting the case from? Just between the two halves of the case?
Old 28 June 2024, 21:32   #5
jbilander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
What about the menu button? Isn't there a menu button to enter the setup menus for the rgb2hdmi?
yes I have the one-button version where you control the menu with longclick and normal click to navigate/select...you rarely need to use it but if you want to you can have that cable exit through the sidecar expansion port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
Where is that cable exiting the case from? Just between the two halves of the case?
yes, exactly