English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 June 2024, 15:01   #41
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
Can anyone tell how many games have actually and officially been released for each Amiga system?
officially released what do you intend?

Official release could be any games released by an author (p.d., freeware, shareware, homebrew, giftware, etc); or do you intend games released by a publisher?

Last edited by Seiya; 27 June 2024 at 15:14.
Old 27 June 2024, 16:03   #42
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
officially released what do you intend?

Official release could be any games released by an author (p.d., freeware, shareware, homebrew, giftware, etc); or do you intend games released by a publisher?
As I already said, there is no way to measure what anyone programmed anywhere and gave it to who-so-ever, so that's why I don't want to know about homebrew or freeware, just games by a publisher.

Edit: what if relevance was the main criterium? So a game is to be taken into consideration, when it has so and so many copies going around, no matter if homebrew or not? Something like that was a thought that came to my mind.

Last edited by Zak; 27 June 2024 at 20:30.
Old Yesterday, 20:35   #43
Megalomaniac

Maybe 'feels right' is a bad way to word it, but defining whether a game has "actually and officially been released" has a lot of grey areas - coverdisk games, 1990 v 2024, licenseware, what makes a company 'major' versus 'indie as hoffman put it, compilation-only games, localised games etc etc etc. Plenty of non-commercial games have more votes on LemonAmiga than a lot of commercial games, including a few which sold very well (especially in relatively niche genres like flight sims and a lot of open-world 3D stuff). Fair point that technically no Amiga game is 'homebrew' but that's the way the word is used now - McGeezer named Bomb Jack: Beer Edition that way as a pun on the word, indeed.

Last edited by Megalomaniac; Yesterday at 20:45.
Old Yesterday, 21:50   #44
sokolovic

I thought that "Beer edition" was about how the game is intended to be played, not how he was made.
Old Yesterday, 23:55   #45
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post

Edit: what if relevance was the main criterium?.
it's ok. i understood your first post.
the complicated thing is to find real information about that criteria. Some sites report a game as commercial, maybe some other report is freeware, other that is a shareware.
Supposed that Hall of Light and/or LemonAmiga have real info about that, you maybe know the amount of that type of games.

Last edited by Seiya; Today at 00:00.
Old Today, 00:15   #46
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Technically this is correct - as in, "there are a lot of homebrew games for my NDS" - but as a roguelike fan I have learned the hard way that once a word is captured then you might as well wave goodbye to proper usage. [...]
It doesn't imply that you have to stop teaching people that they are wrongly using a word.
Old Today, 03:36   #47
Pyromania

I like the term Ghetto Games.