Old 13 December 2023, 17:48   #61
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
yes im looking at the Xenon2 catridge atm, in a corner of my retrocollection

i remember a not great darker palette, darker with a strange blue tone

similar to some ST to Amiga ports, like Midnight Resistance
maybe even worse effect

also 4 levels instead of 5, the last 'mechanical world' was strangely cutted out
(EDIT corrected, thanks TCD)

i got the cartridge almost for free just a couple of years ago, so i can imagine the reactions of who took this full price back in the day
You should see it on the sharp x68000!!! Game runs just as slow even with 128 sprites and multi layer parallax built in the hardware. But the best part is it runs at 60hz meaning the music is all over the bloody place.
Old 13 December 2023, 20:42   #62
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
You seems to believe that in the early 90's everyone had the same level of knowledge or easy access to thé games that we have today

Most Megadrive gamers at that time were kids around 10 years who could chose a game just by its cover and played it intensively because they had 2 or 3 games a year.
Musha wasn't even released in Europe. Nobodies would know something of that game before some years in Europe.
Xenon 2 have aged badly but I'm fairly confident that an UK kid getting this game for Xmas would have deeply enjoyed it.
Hmm, I had floppy copiers for both Megadrive and SNES back in the early 90s, the console scene was alive and well then. Still have a Profighter X Turbo modded with Gotek for the SNES.

Remember reading an article in 1995 where some Nintendo rep estimated that 2% of their customers used copiers in Europe (probably a lot more in Asia).

EDIT:

Here's Jackie Chan using a copier back in the day, looks like he is playing UN Squadron.

Last edited by modrobert; 18 February 2024 at 17:05. Reason: Remembering the double standards, added Jackie.
Old 13 December 2023, 23:01   #63
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
Hmm, I had floppy copiers for both Megadrive and SNES back in the early 90s, the console scene was alive and well then. Still have a Profighter X Turbo modded with Gotek for the SNES.

Remember reading an article in 1995 where some Nintendo rep estimated that 2% of their customers used copiers in Europe (probably a lot more in Asia).

EDIT:

Here's Jackie Chan using a copier back in the day, looks like he is playing UN Squadron.
If you are 56 that means you are born around 1967 and had 25 years by 1992. Not the usual age for the mass market target of consoles sellers.
Old 14 December 2023, 06:30   #64
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
If you are 56 that means you are born around 1967 and had 25 years by 1992. Not the usual age for the mass market target of consoles sellers.
Thanks for reminding me.

If you were a gamer back in the early 90s, besides the arcades (coin-up), consoles was the way to play, home computers were second (no offense intended, sometimes buggy releases, less quality overall).

Last edited by modrobert; 14 December 2023 at 06:36.
Old 14 December 2023, 08:02   #65
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
You should see it on the sharp x68000!!! Game runs just as slow even with 128 sprites and multi layer parallax built in the hardware. But the best part is it runs at 60hz meaning the music is all over the bloody place.
also the x68000 had lazy ports

trying to think better, maybe the original (ST) code was already garbled to be adapted to other hardware?

wasnt also Gods affected in part?

---
topic
other you think Megadrive lazy ports?
Old 14 December 2023, 09:44   #66
sokolovic

Quote:

other you think Megadrive lazy ports?

Don't know if it is a lazy port but I find the Amiga version of Worms much better technically than the Megadrive, and the SNES, ones (let alone WormsDC that is even better).
Old 14 December 2023, 10:49   #67
AestheticDebris

Quote:
Don't know if it is a lazy port but I find the Amiga version of Worms much better technically than the Megadrive, and the SNES, ones (let alone WormsDC that is even better).
Worms is one of those games, like Lemmings, that are particularly suited to bitmap based displays (because of the destructibility of the scenery). Porting it to a tile based console is a pretty challenging feat.
Old 24 June 2024, 11:36   #68
kremiso

now, realized only today that there was a Xenon2 Megadrive color hack around yet from 2016

https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/10277/#review
Old 24 June 2024, 22:13   #69
Cris1997XX

Quote:
now, realized only today that there was a Xenon2 Megadrive color hack around yet from 2016

https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/10277/#review
Nice...the next thing that should be fixed is the shitty FM Synth music
Old 24 June 2024, 23:13   #70
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AestheticDebris View Post
Worms is one of those games, like Lemmings, that are particularly suited to bitmap based displays (because of the destructibility of the scenery). Porting it to a tile based console is a pretty challenging feat.
I prefer to think that they originated on the Amiga because they were so original and inventive, and couldn't've come from a corporate console setting, but I'm sure this is part of it too.

The hacked Xenon 2 ROM definitely looks better than the released version.
Old 25 June 2024, 16:26   #71
Retro1234
Phone Homer

EDIT:

Here's Jackie Chan using a copier back in the day, looks like he is playing UN Squadron.[/QUOTE]

I bet Nintendo weren't happy about that picture.

The only 2 people I knew who had them were from Hong Kong. But blew my mind being a nerd seeing one back in the day.
Old 25 June 2024, 17:13   #72
CCCP alert

Quote:
yes im looking at the Xenon2 catridge atm, in a corner of my retrocollection

i remember a not great darker palette, darker with a strange blue tone

similar to some ST to Amiga ports, like Midnight Resistance
maybe even worse effect

also 4 levels instead of 5, the last 'mechanical world' was strangely cutted out
(EDIT corrected, thanks TCD)

i got the cartridge almost for free just a couple of years ago, so i can imagine the reactions of who took this full price back in the day
Too many decent arcade quality shmups on MD, dunno why they bothered. Music sounds like Rolf Harris Stylophone lol go British no talent dev groups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!