English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 22 June 2024, 00:06   #1
nessonic

A1200 + Demos ..

Hey all, I've finally received all parts to my A1200 setup...or so I thought. I've been doing OK thus far with my gotek & adf/lha files but browsing a couple of the top amiga demos on pouet has opened new can of worms e.g. .dat & .exe. files. Seems I'm still missing pieces here (harddrive to simply click the exe's?)..

Below is what I'm dealing with hardware-wise:

• Amiga 1200
  • Indivision Mk3
  • 8Mb Fast Ram Card
  • Gotek Drive
  • 32GB Card inc interface
  • 3.1 Kickstart (Cloanto)

One option I saw was ADFOpus (create my own adf of demo files to then transfer via gotek > mount > double click & run) but the created ADF doesn't want to accept any files. This is on Win10; did not check if app supports win10 but nonetheless this seemed a dead end

Another option was WinUAE...but truthfully have not done more than look at that casually, as this amiga's primary purpose is an instrument in a DAWless setup so unfortunately something like running demos isn't going to warrant adding Windows apps to my config if at all possible. I'd be more inclined to get an A500 or etc. down the line just for running demos if that were the case

Any options I am blanking on? I did think I could probably pull the CF card's SD card & transfer files, replace it & reassemble case...significantly more work intensive than I was hoping for but in theory that should work.

Old 22 June 2024, 02:23   #2
Nor Bert
Norbert

Give some examples of demos.
You can use HXCFE to be able to copy any files/directories from a flash drive in Gotek to the Amiga hard drive . Copy speed is the speed of the floppy drive (Gotek)
Old 22 June 2024, 04:59   #3
nessonic

Oceanmachine & starstruck are some of the top demos on pouet under Amiga AGA & both come in .exe format, which fails to load on my gotek so currently no way to transfer it over in order to run (don't even want to think about the ones with multiple /dat folders and/or how I'm to deal with multi-desk demos yet )

I was able to get HXCFE loaded & transferred a demo over (starstruck) though that failed (program failed #8000000B, same error from shell w/o startup sequence or launched from workbench). I did run 'setpatch' prior to trying the .exe cmd based on another search result I found. Thank you much! Even though this one failed, it is just 1 and thus could be an outlier whereas before I could not load these files at all before. Going to repeat this for few other demos to see how my luck fares (it accurately warns you how long hxcfe takes to copy!)
Old 22 June 2024, 05:57   #4
Shaytan

Those are 060 demos, unfortunately they won't run on your setup
Old 22 June 2024, 06:20   #5
nessonic

Dang, well thank you for pointing that out - assuming 060 is processor then. If re-looking at pouet prod listing I do see 060 references in the comments but maybe thought that'd be specified elsewhere or via the filtering (was using "Amiga AGA" as platform FWIW)
Old 22 June 2024, 06:31   #6
giantclam

It's stated in the file_id.diz on the scene.org page;

==================================

Hardware requirements:

Chipset: AGA Amiga
CPU: 68060 @ 50MHz or faster
RAM: ~50MB fastram, 2MB chipram
Display: 15kHz PAL monitor