English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 17 June 2024, 15:20   #1
jman

Thoughts about replacing vBullettin with another forum solution?

Hey,

I could not find a recent discussion in this subforum, so I'm opening a new thread: what are the thoughts about migrating the EAB to another forum solution?

Let me preface that I am perfectly aware that it is a big task and that would be on the shoulders of the technical staff maintaining this forum (AFAIK just @RCK).

I would be happy to hear if you @RCK already did an assessment and - if yes - which solutions did you evaluate and what were the PRO and CONS. Or if in the past an attempt was already done.

(If I missed a previous discussion, happy to be directed there)

thanks
Old 17 June 2024, 15:52   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Why?
Old 17 June 2024, 17:07   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Why?

Have to agree.

@OP
He is using paid forum software, that is constantly updated.
Granted the look has not changed, however its reliable and runs well.

Yes, it would be a difficult task even if he were to.
I know, its a nighmare. Especially, when some genious decides to stuff all images and uploads into the database, making a 1gb into a 30gb database.
Old 17 June 2024, 17:31   #4
DisasterIncarna

fine with the forum software, just wish we had a dark or darkish theme for what we already have.
Old 17 June 2024, 18:20   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
fine with the forum software, just wish we had a dark or darkish theme for what we already have.
Dark Reader works really great (not only for EAB).
Old 17 June 2024, 23:29   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Dark Reader works really great (not only for EAB).
Looks interesting but I shy away from any plugins that intercept your data.
Old 18 June 2024, 00:07   #7
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Why?
Old 18 June 2024, 05:14   #8
dreadnought

Quote:
Looks interesting but I shy away from any plugins that intercept your data.
It doesn't, really: https://darkreader.org/privacy/
It's open source, fairly transparent and if it needs some permissions it's most likely for the necessary tab control. I've been using it for some time now and find it essential.

As for the transition to new software, 9/10 I've seen it happen over the years the forum ends up looking much worse. Maybe it's better for mobile users, but I'm strictly desktop and like the old style. And bar the double line thing (which apparently is a Firefox quirk) there's nothing really broken, so why try to fix it?
Old 18 June 2024, 07:00   #9
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
[...] As for the transition to new software, 9/10 I've seen it happen over the years the forum ends up looking much worse. [...]
+1. Actual forum has the quality of simplicity. Everything is clear under the eyes (font size/colour/etc.) and easily accessible (no big menu/wasted space messing the disposition on screen).

Quote:
[...] Maybe it's better for mobile users, but I'm strictly desktop and like the old style. [...]
The style is not old. It's uncluttered, practical and functional and, from a mobile user point of view, actual forum design suits really well mobile devices
Old 18 June 2024, 09:31   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
It's open source, fairly transparent and if it needs some permissions it's most likely for the necessary tab control. I've been using it for some time now and find it essential.
The plugin intercepts the entire contents of the website you're browsing. It has to in order to change all the colours etc. Anything that does that has the possibility of becoming a security risk. No thanks
Old 18 June 2024, 09:48   #11
dreadnought

It's your call, but being online will always be a "security risk". And every single net-related program you're using has possible vulnerabilities.
Old 18 June 2024, 09:58   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
It's your call, but being online will always be a "security risk". And every single net-related program you're using has possible vulnerabilities.

Its only a "sercurity risk" when people do and use stupid things that can compromise your device.
Old 18 June 2024, 10:23   #13
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Its only a "sercurity risk" when people do and use stupid things that can compromise your device.
Exactly. But using a well-known and extremely useful app is not one of these things.
Old 18 June 2024, 11:09   #14
DisasterIncarna

Quote:

As for the transition to new software, 9/10 I've seen it happen over the years the forum ends up looking much worse. Maybe it's better for mobile users, but I'm strictly desktop and like the old style. And bar the double line thing (which apparently is a Firefox quirk) there's nothing really broken, so why try to fix it?
also remember there has been projects that were shown as "open source" and did provide source, only for the "source" version to have bad stuff removed so it looked legit andf safe and the pre-compiled/download and go version had malware stuffed into it, because its known that most users wont check code and compile themselves, they just want to install and use right away.

i dont use any addons for browsers that have such "potential", its still the risk of giving your car keys to someone else and trusting them when they say "trust me bro, i could but wont steal the car".

This is why i always hope for various sites to have a nice mix of themes and i mostly use dark themes where i can.
Old 19 June 2024, 06:38   #15
copse

And projects have been safe to use and then been switched (whether sold by owner or hacked away from them) to have later versions steal passwords. There was a script plugin that was very powerful and well known for Firefox that had this happen. If it is open source, then the only safe way to use it is to a) audit the code yourself 100% and hope for the best and then b) host the plugin yourself and install your vetted version.
Old 19 June 2024, 22:45   #16
jman

Quote:
Why?
I can't really speak for anyone else but me (just a user): I find vBullettin hard to use (and I also am a desktop user). Have a long list of grieves that I won't mention here to avoid igniting a sterile discussion that would derailing further the topic.

Yes, EAB - as it is - works and I also find value in stability but IIUC EAB is a pretty much old version (3.8.11 vs. the latest being 6.0.5 at the time of writing). By reading messages like this one I infer (perhaps I am wrong) that @RCK is patching manually the software forum, effectively maintaining a "fork", much harder to upgrade.

I am just curious if the thought of upgrading or migrating away ever crossed the mind of the maintainers and what was the outcome of an evaluation of such a thing.

Also, thanks to everyone for contributing your thoughts, I hope @RCK will also have time to share his thoughts.
Old 20 June 2024, 13:07   #17
nogginthenog
Amigan

We could always move to Discourse
Old 20 June 2024, 18:44   #18
RCK
Administrator

I actually patch EAB to maintain the 3.x branch for newer version of PHP.
I only keep EAB as it because you guys love it like this, and it still working fine on a real Amiga.

If one day we switch forum software, I would like to go to http://www.xenforo.com/community, because it also have been created by the guys who have created vB3, and I know how they works well
Old 20 June 2024, 18:50   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Maybe we should have a poll? If Amiga compatibility or modern look is more important?
Old 20 June 2024, 21:42   #20
jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Maybe we should have a poll? If Amiga compatibility or modern look is more important?
I'm down to having a poll.

Meanwhile I created a demo instance of this XenForo RCK mentioned and played a little bit with it. Here's my notes of my personal wishlist and nice-to-haves:

- Message formatting:
can use Markdown tags? no
UTF8 emojis? no, uses "Smilies" but autocompletes when writing
user mention autocompletion? yes
autosave drafts? yes
can use keyboard shortcuts? yes!!
- Can "Like" a post? yes
- Runs on classic Amiga? N/A (I am afraid it's CPU intensive)
- How does the search look like? N/A (couldn't create subforums so couldn't test a lot)
- mobile-friendly? yes
- can reply from email notification? N/A (instance does not send emails)
- does not support .webp files
- Has 2FA on login

(Happy to share in private the admin account, the instance will expire on Jun 27, 2024)

Last edited by jman; 20 June 2024 at 22:14.