English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 11 June 2024, 22:13   #281
PiCiJi

nightly
I have installed a permanent watcher. doesn't matter what happens(*), the UI should be updated in time and should not hang (Ctrl+Alt+Del) anymore.

(*) vpos changes prevent frame to complete
(*) Blitter blocks the CPU and opcode will not finish (exits are only possible between opcodes) -> this will not prevented by the watcher, but blitter can't run forever
(*) uncontrolled use of ECS registers for frame geometry, sync, blank -> could prevent frame to complete

If it still hangs, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438
But the windows pointer is still visible!? (confusing situation)
yeah Windows ungrab mouse and APP is confused.

Quote:
WinUAE seems block this situation somehow not allowing both win keys to be processed!
ok try to fix it this way.

Last edited by PiCiJi; 11 June 2024 at 23:04.
Old 11 June 2024, 23:04   #282
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

In WinUAE both win keys still works, so it probably blocks windows to ungrab mouse if both win key is used!?
Old 12 June 2024, 19:19   #283
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCiJi View Post
If it still hangs, please let me know.

yeah Windows ungrab mouse and APP is confused.
I tried to provoke the PC freeze again with "cop_blt_conflict1" and it worked.

- launch denise and wait for the wb disk to appear (or maybe not important)
- put the "cop_blt_conflict.zip" (from post #276) with d&d on denise's power button
- two mouse clicks on the first problem and nothing more (now it is clearly seen that mouse is not automatically accepted in the denise if it is a .zip file)
- wait for the problem to manifest itself
- if you now left click on the denise/amiga tab with the mouse pointer, everything freezes (the only way out seems to be ctrl+alt+del... what I already had)
- and if, instead, one clicks with the middle mouse somewhere outside the denise window (i.e. on the desktop), it is sometimes possible to close the emulator by clicking on the upper right corner of the window

This is actually the same situation that manifested itself when I reported (Edit: in post #277) that my PC froze because I had to ctrl+alt+del, task manager and end task denise.
Edit: And during the following tests, I used the unzipped files, so there were no problems then. (I just forgot that the problem was that it was a .zip file the first time.)

EDIT:
So in general, when in Amiga/Misc/Autostart drag'n'drop captures mouse is enabled, there is a problem when .zip file is used... windows ungrab mouse and confuse the emu! (temporary solution is to disable it)

Last edited by amilo3438; 13 June 2024 at 14:19.
Old 13 June 2024, 15:48   #284
PiCiJi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438 View Post
I tried to provoke the PC freeze again with "cop_blt_conflict1" and it worked.

- launch denise and wait for the wb disk to appear (or maybe not important)
- put the "cop_blt_conflict.zip" (from post #276) with d&d on denise's power button
- two mouse clicks on the first problem and nothing more (now it is clearly seen that mouse is not automatically accepted in the denise if it is a .zip file)
- wait for the problem to manifest itself
- if you now left click on the denise/amiga tab with the mouse pointer, everything freezes (the only way out seems to be ctrl+alt+del... what I already had)
- and if, instead, one clicks with the middle mouse somewhere outside the denise window (i.e. on the desktop), it is sometimes possible to close the emulator by clicking on the upper right corner of the window

This is actually the same situation that manifested itself when I reported (Edit: in post #277) that my PC froze because I had to ctrl+alt+del, task manager and end task denise.
Edit: And during the following tests, I used the unzipped files, so there were no problems then. (I just forgot that the problem was that it was a .zip file the first time.)

EDIT:
So in general, when in Amiga/Misc/Autostart drag'n'drop captures mouse is enabled, there is a problem when .zip file is used... windows ungrab mouse and confuse the emu! (temporary solution is to disable it)
I understand that this is a completely different problem than I thought. Nevertheless, I let the watcher run.
The problem here is that the window with the archive list does not return the focus to the main window. I absolutely have to prevent APP from catching/acquiring the mouse when the main window has no focus.
Old 13 June 2024, 18:29   #285
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Take-em-Out (1989)(Artronic)[0872] ... Yet another good game to test mouse sensitivity! (Edit: yes, if vsync is enabled it feels a little laggy)

Last edited by amilo3438; 13 June 2024 at 19:39.
Old 13 June 2024, 18:32   #286
sink

thank you piciji!! Denise is getting a must to have in the emulation of the c64 and the a500.. i love using it. just one question, is it possible to have it in portable version mode as is already the case with winuae and fs-uae, please? (unless already the case and I missed the option.)
Old 13 June 2024, 19:28   #287
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

@sink
See post #46 at page 3 of this thread!
Old 13 June 2024, 22:17   #288
PiCiJi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink View Post
thank you piciji!! Denise is getting a must to have in the emulation of the c64 and the a500.. i love using it. just one question, is it possible to have it in portable version mode as is already the case with winuae and fs-uae, please? (unless already the case and I missed the option.)
Firmware or Software is not portable at the moment.
This means that only absolute paths are possible here, but not firmware relative to the Denise folder in use.
Old 14 June 2024, 00:03   #289
sink

Ok thank for your answer amilo and piciji !!
Old 14 June 2024, 16:36   #290
PiCiJi

nightly

Quote:
In WinUAE both win keys still works, so it probably blocks windows to ungrab mouse if both win key is used!?
The context menu of the right Windows key is suppressed. The Start menu of the left Windows key is suppressed for RawInput, but not dInput. However, it is only activated in dInput if the button is operated individually. If it should happen, the trapped mouse pointer will be released beforehand. In general, the mouse pointer is now released when the APP loses focus (e.g. also ctrl+alt+del). If this happened in the previous versions, you could no longer catch the mouse cursor properly without having to restart the APP. That should be fixed now.
Quote:
That should work better now.
I list here all situations where the mouse cursor is hidden. Regardless of the input driver used, these situations should work. It can happen that it doesn't always work out. In this case, however, the mouse pointer should not be in a state, so only a APP restart will save the situation.
1. hotkey to capture/grab/acquire mouse
2. Switch to full screen via hotkey, not via menu
3. Dragndrop to the main window (if allowed by option)
4. If the software file dialog was opened in full screen via hotkey and the mouse was previously hidden, pointer will be made visible for operating the software dialog and then hidden again.
5. if the hotkey for hard reset is operated in full screen and the emulator asks if any changes should be saved permanently. Just like in point 4, the mouse is hidden again after operating the dialog, if it was hidden before.
Quote:
Striker Manager (1991)(D & H Games)(M5)[2121] ... according to HOL yet another game that require a dongle!
supported
Quote:
Take-em-Out (1989)(Artronic)[0872] ... Yet another good game to test mouse sensitivity
in case you use the threaded renderer.
Note: the threaded renderer has many advantages, but also disadvantages. Since this is asynchronous to emulation, mouse scrolling behaves more jerky. You can see that when you slowly move the mouse.

Last edited by PiCiJi; 14 June 2024 at 17:23.
Old 14 June 2024, 17:15   #291
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Thanks!

Quote:
in case you use the threaded renderer.
Note: the threaded renderer has many advantages, but also disadvantages. Since this is asynchronous to emulation, mouse scrolling behaves more jerky. You can see that when you slowly move the mouse.
That's right, I currently have the threaded renderer enabled so that it can test everything from 50Hz to 60Hz!

And when I turned off all possible syncs, I finally managed to qualify in the game! (when syncs was enabled it was impossible)

Edit: And I had to set the mouse sensitivity to 25%!
Old 15 June 2024, 13:23   #292
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

I have a question:

What is the function of "adaptive_sync" in "global_settings.ini"!? I changed it from 0 to 1 and nothing changed in the UI! (Note: All synchronizations were disabled before this change and nothing changed after.)

Is it something left over from an old version that is no longer used!? (I usually copy the new version over the older one so maybe that's possible.)

EDIT:
I found it... it is in options/driver video driver "enabled if VSYNC and emulator speed deviate". (seems it works only when threaded renderer is disabled)

------------------------------
Just noticed: FPS doesn't show up on screen, even it is enabled in options/on screen status !? (in latest nightly 1083)

EDIT: It exists but is not visible on the white WB screen! (I don't know what's wrong with me today... which would probably mean that would be enough for today.)

Last edited by amilo3438; 15 June 2024 at 14:03.
Old 15 June 2024, 23:06   #293
PiCiJi

Quote:
I have a question:

What is the function of "adaptive_sync" in "global_settings.ini"!? I changed it from 0 to 1 and nothing changed in the UI! (Note: All synchronizations were disabled before this change and nothing changed after.)

Is it something left over from an old version that is no longer used!? (I usually copy the new version over the older one so maybe that's possible.)

EDIT:
I found it... it is in options/driver video driver "enabled if VSYNC and emulator speed deviate". (seems it works only when threaded renderer is disabled)
If this option is enabled, the APP itself decides whether to enable the threaded renderer or not. As soon as the refresh rate and emu speed deviate too much from each other, the TR is activated, otherwise deactivated.
Unfortunately, this option is not always reliable, as it is necessary to query the correct refresh rate from the monitor. There is a "Sync" hotkey in Denise, which shows the rate determined by the monitor.
Quote:
It exists but is not visible on the white WB screen! (I don't know what's wrong with me today... which would probably mean that would be enough for today.)
Yes, that's impractical. I'll rebuild this sooner or later like in RetroArch. The status messages are rendered there on a background. That way you always see it.
Old 16 June 2024, 18:46   #294
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Titan (1989)(Titus)[1913] ... Stops loading at track 33!

---------
Titanic Blinky (1991)(Zeppelin Platinum)[0394] ... After landing on the deck in the intro and going left, a short-term glitch appears on the bottom of the screen when loading resumes!

Last edited by amilo3438; Yesterday at 14:02.
Old Yesterday, 14:55   #295
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
There is a "Sync" hotkey in Denise, which shows the rate determined by the monitor.
Recently I've been using the config with the threaded renderer and all other syncs disabled, except Sync Video, as it gives me the lowest latency!

So, in the window it shows "Vsync Audiosync 60,000" and it's at 49,920 FPS.
For fullscreen, in the Image Geometry tab I have enabled the Preselect fullscreen resolution to 1920x1080@50Hz, so it shows ""Vsync Audiosync 50,000"" and has 49,920 FPS... but I'd also like to have the 50 FPS, not to change it manually every time when it's in the full screen, and when it goes back to the window to be 49,920 again!

Since my current monitor is not VRR, 49,920 FPS at the full screen is not as fluid as at 50 FPS.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible for emu to automatically choose the FPS to be the same as the monitor when in the full screen, separate from what is defined for window FPS, if monitor is not VRR, i.e. when is not selected in the options tab as VRR but only Sync Video!?

Or maybe if it would be possible for emu to define FPS separately for window mode and full screen mode!? (if Sync Video is only selected)

------------
Another thing with assigned pause key!

Recently I have assigned pause to NumLock key and with that I noticed something...

When I pause the emulator and than go into Amiga/System management and from there change from (for example) from ECS to OCS, the emu will do that straight away even it is in pause mode!? (and the LED on NumLock will now be turned off when the emu is running)

Other, if you enable in the Settings "Pause emulator when focus is lost" and you do the same thing (with out using the pause key) i.e. to go into Amiga/System management and from there change from ECS to OCS, the emu will not do that straight away, than after the focus is returned.

Shouldn't the behavior with the pause key be the same!? (to make a change only when it is no longer in pause mode)

Last edited by amilo3438; Yesterday at 16:22.
Old Yesterday, 19:00   #296
PiCiJi

Quote:
this one needs "write splice" emulation.
That would be unfavorable to include this for the next version. There are already some IPFs that transmit a "write splice" position. I need time to test for side effects.
Quote:
Now I'm wondering if it's possible for emu to automatically choose the FPS to be the same as the monitor when in the full screen, separate from what is defined for window FPS, if monitor is not VRR, i.e. when is not selected in the options tab as VRR but only Sync Video!?
The readout of the current monitor frequency is unreliable. Success depends on the operating system and hardware. I could hardly influence bug reports without using the same hardware.
Quote:
Or maybe if it would be possible for emu to define FPS separately for window mode and full screen mode!? (if Sync Video is only selected)
This would be a way to set the emulator speed for windows and full screen separately.
Why don't you let the Emu run at 50 FPS in the window as well?
Old Yesterday, 19:54   #297
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Why don't you let the Emu run at 50 FPS in the window as well?
Because I want to see what FPS a tested game is using! (i.e. to see what is current FPS in general)
As is known, there are games that not use standard of 49.92 FPS like B.C.Kid, and setting it to 50 FPS reduces also the game speed a lot, from 100% to 88.66%.

Otherwise, it was only a suggestion, nothing mandatory.

PS.
Perhaps, as a suggestion, in the Image Geometry tab next to "Preselect fullscreen resolution", there could be an option to use the same FPS as the one selected in resolution! (i.e. if 1920*1080@50 to set 50 FPS also)
So that when switching to full screen, the emulator remembers the FPS set for Windows mode and then, if it is turned on that the FPS in full screen is the same as defined in the resolution, to switch it automatically.
And after returning to windows mode, restore the FPS that it remembered.

Last edited by amilo3438; Yesterday at 20:11.
Old Yesterday, 23:31   #298
PiCiJi

Quote:
As is known, there are games that not use standard of 49.92 FPS like B.C.Kid, and setting it to 50 FPS reduces also the game speed a lot, from 100% to 88.66%.
Yes, but you can count them on one hand. Most games use 49.92 or 50.08 Hz.

Quote:
Perhaps, as a suggestion, in the Image Geometry tab next to "Preselect fullscreen resolution", there could be an option to use the same FPS as the one selected in resolution! (i.e. if 1920*1080@50 to set 50 FPS also)
So that when switching to full screen, the emulator remembers the FPS set for Windows mode and then, if it is turned on that the FPS in full screen is the same as defined in the resolution, to switch it automatically.
And after returning to windows mode, restore the FPS that it remembered.
Maybe without an option.
There should be no reason to bring the emu into full screen with a concrete Hz number and then use a different Emu speed.
---------------
I always set my monitor to 50 Hz beforehand, because otherwise it takes too long to switch to full screen. In addition, it can happen that it doesn't work or that it has to be switched back again when giong to another APP.
Old Today, 08:37   #299
PiCiJi

Unfortunately, I neglected the macOS version for too long. In the last few days I have fixed numerous bugs/crashes. I have frequent access to Linux and Windows, but not macOS.

I'm definitely looking for a tester for macOS. As motivation, I want to emulate the metal driver with shader support next.

Note for openGL + Shader Cache:
Intel graphics drivers do not have support for using shader cache. This may work with newer Intel chipsets. Without a shader cache, switching shaders with many passes takes a long time. However, the emulator is not blocked during shader compilation. The shaders are built asynchronously.

Quote:
When I pause the emulator and than go into Amiga/System management and from there change from (for example) from ECS to OCS, the emu will do that straight away even it is in pause mode!? (and the LED on NumLock will now be turned off when the emu is running)
I would expect the behavior. It would also be very time-consuming to lock the buttons when the emu is in pause mode.
Quote:
Other, if you enable in the Settings "Pause emulator when focus is lost" and you do the same thing (with out using the pause key) i.e. to go into Amiga/System management and from there change from ECS to OCS, the emu will not do that straight away, than after the focus is returned.
Ok, that's confusing. I'm keeping that in mind and holding this back until the next release.
Quote:
Super annoying that so late in the test series there is a game that depends on "Write splice" (IPF overlap) being emulated.
I forgot that this is still open.
I'm holding this back until the next release. To anticipate your question about how this affects the IPF tests so far.
After adding this to emulation, I'm going to test all IPFs reported as problematic in the past. I do this with warp to make very fast progress. Only then can I make an assessment.
Old Today, 13:21   #300
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Super annoying that so late in the test series there is a game that depends on "Write splice" (IPF overlap) being emulated.
I forgot that this is still open.
I'm holding this back until the next release. To anticipate your question about how this affects the IPF tests so far.
After adding this to emulation, I'm going to test all IPFs reported as problematic in the past. I do this with warp to make very fast progress. Only then can I make an assessment.
Okay, then I'll wait until that's settled.
I think there are still about 1/10 left for testing, so I better use them later in the next working versions.

Honestly, I set myself this task and some of my stubbornness demands that I complete it, even though I find testing games less interesting than demos. I even deleted all the games I tested so far from my SSD, except for the ones that proved to be problematic, for some later checking.