English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 June 2024, 20:16   #5521
Sukerbole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Muscan output seems fine. vendorname/devicename depends on whether you have the vendors.txt file in the right location. Seeing that the voodoo is recognized by name I guess FreeScale is missing in that vendors.txt file.

Those screenshots, are those voodoo screens or native screens? In other words, is the voodoo running?

Maybe cleaning of the PCI connector helps.
Extra cleaning. Cleaned it now like crazy does not help…

So I will call it a broken board until proven otherwise.
I have now ordered that other board and send the Torsti guy on a1k a PM for such an pci card. So hopefully that will work better.
Old 14 June 2024, 20:52   #5522
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiel73 View Post
Does anyone know how to increase the 450MHz on the PrPMC8005E G4 450MHz modules?
Yes, but you probably would have to remove the heatsink to be able to move a SMT resistor around. If that's something you want to try.
I haven't done this myself but I buzzed it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukerbole View Post
Extra cleaning. Cleaned it now like crazy does not help…

So I will call it a broken board until proven otherwise.
I have now ordered that other board and send the Torsti guy on a1k a PM for such an pci card. So hopefully that will work better.
You might want to try a $10 RTL8029 card in the top slot. In my experience with a Mediator MK-IV I couldn't ever get the KillerNIC to work without adding something to the top slot.
That being said the Apocalypse is sooooo much better than the KillerNIC, that that's probably a better way to go anyway, but it really needs the 256MB upgrade too.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 14 June 2024 at 21:08.
Old 14 June 2024, 21:08   #5523
Sukerbole

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
You might want to try a $10 RTL8029 card in the top slot. In my experience with a Mediator MK-IV I couldn't ever get the KillerNIC to work without adding something to the top slot.
That being said the Apocalypse is sooooo much better than the KillerNIC, that that's probably a better way to go anyway, but it really needs the 256MB upgrade too.
Also put a yamaha pci soundcard in the topslot during testing. Did a lot of testing………..
Sometimes it briefly showed more ram in certain combinations… But then always some error message followed….
Old 14 June 2024, 22:02   #5524
Chiel73

@grelbfarlk cool. Soldering and heatsink no problem. Need to know what to move.
Old 14 June 2024, 22:02   #5525
grelbfarlk

So if you look at the table if you move the resistor at position 0 to position 1, that should give you 500MHz. You'll need to find another resistor if you want to try 550MHz which you would populate positions 1 and 2. Or you could move it to position 2 for 600MHz.

Again, you should strongly consider that I'm full of shit and don't know what I'm talking about, and I will mention again I haven't done this myself.

That being said I have done this with Raptures and with enough cooling and faster L2 Cache it runs at 600MHz.

The other thing to consider is that what I found on the Ragnarok is that it slows the memory down to account for this(this is before Wrangler made the software clocking tool). Not sure if the Apocalypse will behave in the same way, it might not and that would be bad since it might clock the memory too fast.

Reference manual:
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MPC7410EC.pdf

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 15 June 2024 at 15:18.
Old 14 June 2024, 22:14   #5526
Chiel73

Ok that's cool. Thanks will give it a go. I was looking at the same stuff.
Old 14 June 2024, 23:57   #5527
Chiel73

It's running at 600MHz.
0 to 1 = 500MHz
0 to 2 = 600MHz
0 to 3 = 350MHz
Thanks very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600MHz.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	971.4 KB
ID:	82491  
Old 15 June 2024, 00:09   #5528
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Nice job. Next is to upgrade it to 256MB.
Old 15 June 2024, 00:34   #5529
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukerbole View Post
Also put a yamaha pci soundcard in the topslot during testing. Did a lot of testing………..
Sometimes it briefly showed more ram in certain combinations… But then always some error message followed….
I could test the card if you dare send it to me.

What kind of Mediator do you have? MKII, MKIII, MKIV?
Old 16 June 2024, 00:16   #5530
Sukerbole

Quote:
I could test the card if you dare send it to me.What kind of Mediator do you have? MKII, MKIII, MKIV?
-It's a Mediator PCI 4000Di 3V MK-IV.

Concerning the other card I ordered on Ebay.
So I also need a PCI-carrier to make it usable.
I asked in the A1K forum for one. The initial reaction from the forum was that they are available or very soon a new batch will come (this month). However after a PM from Torsti the reality is that all cards are sold and no new batches are planned any more. This could maybe change if there is a significant request in the future.
I also had a look at Amibay but as this is the same person selling the cards this also indicates "closed" (of course). And no other carriers were for sale.
I saw in this forum that also another person developed a PCI carrier. He maybe has a PCB left however is a bit hesitant as it seems to be not fully stable especially in OpenGL (and discussed this with you?).
So I'm wondering what your advice is on this one (has it really to do with his PCB as it just a passive thing). Just ask for the PCB and build it is probably the only option for getting one. There is no Github for the Torsti version and or PCBway/JLCPCB build link thingie (at least I could not find one).

Yes could send the M1 (thanks for the offer) to you however then you have a lot of work. It would be probably better if I have two cards so I can troubleshoot myself some more on my Amiga 4000.

Last edited by Sukerbole; 16 June 2024 at 00:41.
Old 16 June 2024, 07:27   #5531
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Torsti used to say that if enough sold, he would make it open-source. Maybe ask that, indeed. If you are comfortable building it yourself.

Not sure who the other person is but I don't remember any discussion.
Old 16 June 2024, 09:18   #5532
trixster
Guru Meditating

@sukerbole I have a spare Ramix 239/f I could sell. PM if you’re interested.
Old 16 June 2024, 09:54   #5533
Sukerbole

Exclamation

Quote:
Torsti used to say that if enough sold, he would make it open-source. Maybe ask that, indeed. If you are comfortable building it yourself.

Not sure who the other person is but I don't remember any discussion.
Probably misunderstood the discussion part. You can find a user name Buggs here with a picture of a carrier. It does work but seems unstable in openGL which is maybe related to the pci carrier.
Building myself.. The biggest headache is probably getting the correct parts and waiting for them. Will ask for open source but I got the impression this is not (yet) the case. (confirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
@sukerbole I have a spare Ramix 239/f I could sell. PM if you’re interested.
Will send a PM…

Maybe have found a solution at 1k..

Last edited by Sukerbole; 16 June 2024 at 20:38.