English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 June 2024, 19:39   #1
Liqourice

Ram chips and sockets for A500 rev 6a.

Since my old rev 5 500 is dead at the moment, don't know what happened, I bought one that is said to be working.

Downside is it's never been opened, warranty sticker is intact, so I don't know which rev it is. All I know is that it has kickstart 1.3 while mine had kickstart 1.2 when I bought back in 1988. So, my guess it's a rev 6a.

If it is a 6a I want to expand chipram so I need the chips and sockets but I have no real idea what the best chips to get are and where to get them, as well as the sockets. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

If it's a rev 5 then I'll just transplant the upgrades from my original 500 and leave it be until I can get it sorted out properly.

By that note. Did the rev 5 come with 1.3 or was it 1.2 only? If so then it's most certainly a rev 6a.
Old 04 June 2024, 10:20   #2
jbilander

Hi, if you run WhichAmiga program you can find out what Agnus chip you have in the machine. If it's a ECS 8372a then you know it's a Rev 6A motherboard you have since the warranty sticker is intact. With a Rev 6A just get a 512K trapdoor expansion and turn it into chip-mem by doing the very common 1 MB chip-mem mod for Rev 6A.
Old 05 June 2024, 00:02   #3
Liqourice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilander View Post
Hi, if you run WhichAmiga program you can find out what Agnus chip you have in the machine. If it's a ECS 8372a then you know it's a Rev 6A motherboard you have since the warranty sticker is intact. With a Rev 6A just get a 512K trapdoor expansion and turn it into chip-mem by doing the very common 1 MB chip-mem mod for Rev 6A.
I know how to do that. I'll open it up to check the status of caps and such anyway and I'll see what it is. Prefer to add the chips.

Last edited by Liqourice; 05 June 2024 at 00:08.
Old 05 June 2024, 00:59   #4
jasonsbeer

If you put those chips in sockets, I think you may risk hitting the keyboard. Might want to double check your clearance.
Old 05 June 2024, 01:09   #5
Liqourice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsbeer View Post
If you put those chips in sockets, I think you may risk hitting the keyboard. Might want to double check your clearance.
Perhaps. Others seem to have done it with sockets though so should be fine, but of course I'll check that before actually soldering them in.
Old 05 June 2024, 10:34   #6
jbilander

yes you'll have to put in ultra flat sockets for keyboard clearance, check pics here:
https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=36

Also keep in mind that on Rev 6A populating the four chips makes the trapdoor header pretty much useless and since it's easier to get a more modern 512k expansion with RTC included, I would go with that instead and do the mod link below, on some expansions you don't even have to cut the track on JP7A since they have a JP on board to control that, but of course do as you wish.
https://lyonsden.net/upgrade-amiga-a500-1mb-chip-ram/
Old 05 June 2024, 16:04   #7
Liqourice

Oh, we'll see what I end up doing. I upgraded my old rev 5 to 1MB chip more than 30 years ago so that's the first priority after checking everything is ok with the board.

A kickstart upgrade as well of course since it has 1.3 still.
Old 05 June 2024, 22:09   #8
nogginthenog
Amigan

My Rev 5 A500 had kickstart 1.3 & workbench 1.2. 1988 or so.
Why don't you open it up? I think your warranty has long expired.
Old 05 June 2024, 22:33   #9
Liqourice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
My Rev 5 A500 had kickstart 1.3 & workbench 1.2. 1988 or so.Why don't you open it up? I think your warranty has long expired.
I haven't recieved it yet so it's kinda difficult.
Old 07 June 2024, 21:57   #10
Sasuke

Quote:
Where can you find the WhichAmiga adf?

Last edited by Sasuke; 08 June 2024 at 13:09.
Old 08 June 2024, 20:08   #11
jbilander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke View Post
Where can you find the WhichAmiga adf?
Hi, I don't know if there is a ready made adf available, but here is the lha file:
http://www.amiga-storage.net/?page=S...ga_1.3.25b.lha

extract and put on a floppy, boot wb and then run the program. According to this forum post an updated 1.4 version does also exist.
http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge...584&order=&x=1
Old 09 June 2024, 11:20   #12
Sasuke

jblander, how do I write it on floppy if it's not an ADF?
Old 09 June 2024, 15:34   #13
Liqourice

Quote:
Just save the file to a formatted floppy like you would to a harddrive.
Old 09 June 2024, 15:37   #14
jbilander

Quote:
On a physical Amiga machine you would just put a floppy disk in the disk-drive and format it in wb, then run lha command to extract the content to the newly formatted disk, but if you don't have the means to transfer the lha file over to the Amiga in the first place (e.g. Internet, null-modem cable etc) you are a bit stuck. Instead you could use WinUAE on your PC. For example extract the content with WinRAR to a folder on the PC, share that folder in WinUAE. Copy an existing adf file and rename it to whatever you want, map it as DF1 in WinUAE (check screenshot below) and then format it once you are booted into wb. Boot with wb in DF0 and copy the mapped folder content over to DF1. Then exit and write the adf to a physical disk.

of course if you have a HD-setup with for example ClassicWB you have Dopus with lha tool already prepared so just use that directly from inside Dopus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinUAE_screenshot.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	82443  
Old 09 June 2024, 16:54   #15
Sasuke

Quote:
On a physical Amiga machine you would just put a floppy disk in the disk-drive and format it in wb, then run lha command to extract the content to the newly formatted disk, but if you don't have the means to transfer the lha file over to the Amiga in the first place (e.g. Internet, null-modem cable etc) you are a bit stuck. Instead you could use WinUAE on your PC. For example extract the content with WinRAR to a folder on the PC, share that folder in WinUAE. Copy an existing adf file and rename it to whatever you want, map it as DF1 in WinUAE (check screenshot below) and then format it once you are booted into wb. Boot with wb in DF0 and copy the mapped folder content over to DF1. Then exit and write the adf to a physical disk.

of course if you have a HD-setup with for example ClassicWB you have Dopus with lha tool already prepared so just use that directly from inside Dopus.
Sorry, I didn't understand well.
I would like to perform whichamiga on real A500, via floppy.
Should I take the lha file and convert it to ADF? How you do it?
The procedure you described is difficult for me

I write ADF with Greasewezle, who cannot write the Lha file. I have Winuae installed on PC.

Could you kindly convert it to ADF?

Last edited by Sasuke; 09 June 2024 at 17:00.
Old 12 June 2024, 16:12   #16
Sasuke

Kindly, could you help me create an adf with Whichamiga?
I don't understand how I should do it
Old 12 June 2024, 19:40   #17
Liqourice

Quote:
Kindly, could you help me create an adf with Whichamiga?I don't understand how I should do it
An adf file is just an image of an Amiga readable diskette so it can be read by emulators and such. If you want to run whichamiga on your amiga you just need to transfer the lha package somehow to your Amiga and unpack it there.

What do you want to run the program on?

And honestly, you should really create your own thread since this has nothing to do with what this thread is about.
Old 14 June 2024, 15:57   #18
Sasuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqourice View Post
An adf file is just an image of an Amiga readable diskette so it can be read by emulators and such. If you want to run whichamiga on your amiga you just need to transfer the lha package somehow to your Amiga and unpack it there.

What do you want to run the program on?

And honestly, you should really create your own thread since this has nothing to do with what this thread is about.

I would like to run whichamiga on A500 with floppy drive
Old 14 June 2024, 16:48   #19
Liqourice

Quote:
I would like to run whichamiga on A500 with floppy drive
Then creating an adf won't help you, you still need to transfer the file to your Amiga somehow. What kickstart is it?

Do you have a PC with a floppy?