English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 June 2024, 11:07   #121
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Your "average" argument is flawed when annual PC sales beat Amiga's entire install base..........
Old 13 June 2024, 17:01   #122
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Source came to good use.
https://romhacks.org/romhacks/doom-i...p02-snes-snes/
Old 13 June 2024, 18:57   #123
Retro1234
Phone Homer

How did they manage to create Doom II levels? Just by use a level editor and drawing them from scratch?
Old 13 June 2024, 19:19   #124
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Something like this.
Old 13 June 2024, 19:45   #125
Retro1234
Phone Homer

If it can be converted from a WAD it might hold the key to converting back into a WAD.
Old 14 June 2024, 06:30   #126
pixie

MVG - A closer look at doom source code for SNES
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 June 2024, 08:46   #127
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Same here. The obsession with proving that the Amiga 'in theory' could have had Doom in 1993/94 seems to be really important to people who didn't move on. Not moving on back then is fine, but the 'it could have been' mentality seems rather unhealthy.I love that Grind looks distinctly different to Doom or Wolfenstein 3D or even Alien Breed 3D. I'm really looking forward to playing it because it is different to Doom etc.
I don't like Doom, even if I had some fun net-playing it on PC BitD (alone I found it really less interesting). Descent was much much much better. Anyway I am sure that the way John Carmack worded the inability of the Amiga to run Doom had a lot to do in today's "obsession" to prove that he was just wrong. And since the Amiga market is not what it used to be BitD, letting know how much he was wrong has to be made louder.But does it change the world? It's better to look at what is done today and leave aside people that have said mistakes and, if happens one day, let them apology for what they said if this is what is needed...
Old 14 June 2024, 09:04   #128
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
...let them apology for what they said if this is what is needed...
I think John Carmack doesn't care if what he said about an Amiga port is factually true. The time for an apology would have been in the late 90s after the first ports appeared. It is somewhat amusing though to see people get riled up about that statement after 30 years
Old 14 June 2024, 09:13   #129
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
[...] It is somewhat amusing though to see people get riled up about that statement after 30 years
Yes, and it gives us a reason to cook pop-corn and read threads
Old 14 June 2024, 09:16   #130
Thorham
Computer Nerd

An apology for saying Amigas can't run Doom What a load of crap
Old 14 June 2024, 10:41   #131
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
SNES Doom is even more cut down compared to Atari so I suppose remake of it's wad would run even better with ADoom.
And they replied with "it doesn't use wad it uses a custom level format".
Someone has used the source released to convert Doom II WADs to SNES format. The fact they have only done two maps perhaps means this is a very manual process.

https://romhacks.org/romhacks/doom-i...p02-snes-snes/
https://twitter.com/RealSunlitSpace

But maybe it can go both ways? WAD->SNES->WAD?

@utri007 why not have a go?

Last edited by alexh; 14 June 2024 at 10:49.
Old 14 June 2024, 13:26   #132
x-vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
@x-vision

So what is the point you're try to make?

Don't you think that it's quite impressive that Amiga is capable of running Doom on very nice speed on higher 68k processors, and considering that Amiga hardware is totally not suitable for these type of games.
Especially now with Dread running on lowest specs Amigas (find me an equivalent game for 286).

I mean, expecting Amiga to run Doom, is like expecting car to drive like boat on water. It's not built for it... but still.. it runs! It runs great on many Amigas.
It runs million times better then some 2D scrolling game would run of average 286/386.

Do you expect that Amiga 500 with 7Mhz and 1MB Ram should run Doom in 30fps?

What is, that you expecting from Amiga?
Again? wasn't it clear enough in my first message? I don't expect anything, I just said that with the Grind engine (or any other similarly optimized -they exist-) and appropiate WADS and customizations, Doom can be played in a just memory expanded A500, or at least an A600/2000/3000.

And that despite the weird oppinions expressed here, the vast majority of the Amiga community would love to see it, much more than many other projects (as a matter of fact it was asked many times to Grind developers) cause they could feel very proud to show it running in their machines at parties, shows and internet videos of Doom ports (which already have ports for less poweful machines).

I can't comprehend why such a regular and innocent oppinion causes that much hate and controversy.

Last edited by x-vision; 14 June 2024 at 21:26.
Old 14 June 2024, 13:46   #133
Cris1997XX

It's funny how this thread about Doom on SNES turned into the usual "Amiga is not powerful enough!" playground debates

Last edited by Cris1997XX; 16 June 2024 at 12:27.
Old 16 June 2024, 06:41   #134
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
I don't like Doom, even if I had some fun net-playing it on PC BitD (alone I found it really less interesting). Descent was much much much better. Anyway I am sure that the way John Carmack worded the inability of the Amiga to run Doom had a lot to do in today's "obsession" to prove that he was just wrong. And since the Amiga market is not what it used to be BitD, letting know how much he was wrong has to be made louder.But does it change the world? It's better to look at what is done today and leave aside people that have said mistakes and, if happens one day, let them apology for what they said if this is what is needed...
Commodore's official position on chunky pixels for A1200's AGA.
Quote:
The “chunky to planar” logic was thought out in a lunchtime conversation between Beth Richard (system chip design), Chris Coley (board design), and Ken Dyke (software) over Subway sandwiches on a picnic table in a nearby park one day, because Ken was telling us how much of a pain it was to shuffle bits in software to port games from other platforms to the Amiga planar system. We took the idea to Hedley Davis, who was the system chip team manager and lead engineer on Akiko and he said we could go ahead with it. I showed him the “napkin sketch” of how I thought the logic would work and was planning on getting to it the next day as it was already late afternoon by that point. I came in the next morning and Hedley had completed it already, just from the sketch!
John Carmark's 1994 statement mirrors Commodore's internal POV.

Last edited by hammer; Yesterday at 06:11.
Old 16 June 2024, 06:43   #135
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
Hmmm... If you cant yell than copy paste absurd amount of data to make opponent deorientated..
That's BS. Certain posters can't handle the truth.
Old 16 June 2024, 22:07   #136
CCCP alert

From experience Doom at playable speed without shrinking screen was 486 @ 33mhz, Doom is a 1994 game I think and by that time a 33mhz 486 wasn't even on sale. The direct rival to the A1200 in 92/93 was the 8mhz 2mb 80286 floppy based Amstrad PC2286 and that couldn't run Doom.
Old Yesterday, 06:15   #137
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP alert View Post
From experience Doom at playable speed without shrinking screen was 486 @ 33mhz, Doom is a 1994 game I think and by that time a 33mhz 486 wasn't even on sale. The direct rival to the A1200 in 92/93 was the 8mhz 2mb 80286 floppy based Amstrad PC2286 and that couldn't run Doom.
Amstrad PC2286 is a 1989-released machine. The A500 still has the "power without the price" entry vector in 1989.

For worldwide 1992 to 1994, 486 dominated Intel's unit sales while AMD's dominated 386DX unit sales. Should I post market intelligence from Data Quest to debunk your experience?
Old Yesterday, 06:27   #138
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
An apology for saying Amigas can't run Doom What a load of crap
John Carmack exited IDsoftware in 2013 due to a disagreement with ZeniMax on the VR issue.

ZeniMax Media was acquired by Microsoft in March 2021.

Quote:
The end of the classic lineup

Quake was released on June 22, 1996 and was considered a difficult game to develop due to creative differences. Animosity grew within the company and it caused a conflict between Carmack and Romero, which led the latter to leave id after the game's release. Soon after, other staff left the company as well such as Michael Abrash, Shawn Green, Jay Wilbur, Petersen and Mike Wilson.[11] Petersen claimed in July 2021 that the lack of a team leader was the cause of it all. In fact, he volunteered to take lead as he had five years of experience as project manager in MicroProse but he was turned down by Carmack
The original IDsoftware's key employees separated due to creative differences during Quake's development.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IDsoftware leadershipless.png
Views:	83
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	82498  

Last edited by hammer; Yesterday at 06:34.
Old Yesterday, 07:14   #139
dreadnought

Quote:
John Carmack exited IDsoftware in 2013 due to a disagreement with ZeniMax on the VR issue.ZeniMax Media was acquired by Microsoft in March 2021.The original IDsoftware's key employees separated due to creative differences during Quake's development.
Of all your wild going-on-a-tangent posts this surely takes the top spot. Sometimes I can actually see some sense in your bizzaro logic, but here I stand defeated.

Can you explain what on Earth all this has to do with what Thorham has said?
Old Yesterday, 10:45   #140
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
John Carmack exited IDsoftware in 2013 due to a disagreement with ZeniMax on the VR issue.