English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 June 2024, 12:12   #41
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Performance wise probably not much, perhaps MiSTer can run a bit faster AGA. The difference is mostly in connectivity I think, you got DB9 joystick connector on MiST (and Midi for ST?), MiSTer gives you HDMI and also can connect joysticks via adapters.
ideally id want something at least on par with the Chameleon64 only something that has network support so i can grab stuff from Aminet/etc without having to do so on my pc and copy files over, the Chameleon can via a hardware hack i think but im not risking gear with complete beginner level soldering skills, i would prefer something baked in as standard.
Old 10 June 2024, 21:26   #42
kriz

Those MIPS numbers mean nothing, you have to check with some classic fast games to see if they really work as intended .. And why they don`t post any videos of such is very strange for me ..
Old 11 June 2024, 05:18   #43
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Those MIPS numbers mean nothing, you have to check with some classic fast games to see if they really work as intended .. And why they don`t post any videos of such is very strange for me ..
Compatibility with classic games is one thing, but why do MIPS reported by Sysinfo mean nothing? Some folks want to do stuff other than play games, and some of that other stuff benefits from faster speeds, so the faster the better.

I too wish there were already some videos reviewing the A600GS. But I get the impression that AmigaKit is using this remaining time to put the final touches on the unit before shipping to customers on June 28th.

Not to mention unveiling the final unit at the Kickstart 02 expo on June 29th.
Old 11 June 2024, 10:05   #44
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio D. View Post
Compatibility with classic games is one thing, but why do MIPS reported by Sysinfo mean nothing? Some folks want to do stuff other than play games, and some of that other stuff benefits from faster speeds, so the faster the better.
If speculation is correct, then the A600GS is running an ARM CPU which emulates the whole Amiga via something like UAE4ARM et al. In order to get decent performance, it's almost certainly running a JIT emulation.

Which means that benchmarks are useless. Any game or application that causes the JIT cache to be flushed repeatedly will tank performance and if that happens you could potentially get down to roughly stock A1200 speeds. If the application suits the JIT well, the performance will be through the roof.

You can't guarantee what you're going to get out of it until you test with real applications, I'm afraid.

And Sysinfo's MIPS counter is genrally considered unreliable to boot
Old 12 June 2024, 11:24   #45
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
If speculation is correct, then the A600GS is running an ARM CPU which emulates the whole Amiga via something like UAE4ARM et al. In order to get decent performance, it's almost certainly running a JIT emulation.

Which means that benchmarks are useless. Any game or application that causes the JIT cache to be flushed repeatedly will tank performance and if that happens you could potentially get down to roughly stock A1200 speeds. If the application suits the JIT well, the performance will be through the roof.

You can't guarantee what you're going to get out of it until you test with real applications, I'm afraid.

And Sysinfo's MIPS counter is genrally considered unreliable to boot
Just run Quake demo1 benchmarks.
Old 12 June 2024, 16:38   #46
Pyromania

Is the A600GS Military spec?
Old 12 June 2024, 19:38   #47
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Not sure, but I know somebody with a military spec A500, but his name eludes me...
Old 12 June 2024, 19:51   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
Not sure, but I know somebody with a military spec A500, but his name eludes me...
Only Amiga...
Old 13 June 2024, 13:34   #49
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Unless someone other than Amigakit actually makes them and they are just rebranding I would expect the answer to be NO.

It's very hard to get military qualification.

Or did you mean something else? Like is it very powerful?
Old 13 June 2024, 14:34   #50
Dunny

Can you drive a tank over it? Would it survive a drone strike?
Old 13 June 2024, 14:40   #51
BigD

Quote:
Is it shock proof, sealed from dust ingress and does it vaporise Amiga Minis within a 50m blast radius?!!
Old 13 June 2024, 15:21   #52
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Or did you mean something else? Like is it very powerful?
It's a running joke (an obscure one, though) within the Amiga community from at least 20 years ago when a certain user on Amiga.org claimed that he had access to "military spec" 68000 processors and had put one in his A500. Or something like that. It was a long time ago! I think the guy eventually got banned from both Amiga.org and EAB.
Old 13 June 2024, 15:24   #53
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
It's a running joke (an obscure one, though) within the Amiga community from at least 20 years ago when a certain user on Amiga.org claimed that he had access to "military spec" 68000 processors and had put one in his A500.
I feel so old now
Old 13 June 2024, 15:47   #54
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Not so far fetched really, you can see here on page 7 of http://www.bitsavers.org/components/...s_Volume_2.pdf that Signetics made military spec 68000s.
Old 13 June 2024, 21:16   #55
cloverskull

Totally OT but I used to be in the military. One day I was in Baghdad riding in a Humvee with a Panasonic Toughbook CF50 in my lap - https://panasonic.fandom.com/wiki/CF-50

We rolled over an IED which fortunately hit the ass end of our truck so nobody was killed, but it did cause the laptop to fly up into my face and break my nose. Damn terrorists. Almost got me. hehe
Old 14 June 2024, 10:21   #56
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Unfortunately Varysis are no more. Else if we got them to design arm board and build it, it certainly would have been over the top 10x redundancy PSU's stuffed into board, Military grade, .