English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 June 2024, 21:24   #1
cheese_block

Graphical problems on Amiga 1200

Hi, I recently got a gotek for my Amiga 1200 and I'm seeing some weird graphical problems. I've added some pics - it's a lot more apparent on the screen. It only happens with moving objects. It happens on other games as well. The corruption doesn't seem random - it seems to happen exactly the same each time. I didn't think it was the gotek - but I recently tried it on another 1200 - moving the gotek across and it happens the same on there. Interested to hear if anyone has seen this - or has any ideas?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	82449   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	504.0 KB
ID:	82450   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	520.5 KB
ID:	82451  
Old 10 June 2024, 22:39   #2
kriz

Better use whdload for old games.. Floppy version will work the same, i use gotek on stock A500 or for early AGA releases ..
Old 11 June 2024, 07:41   #3
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_block View Post
Hi, I recently got a gotek for my Amiga 1200 and I'm seeing some weird graphical problems. I've added some pics - it's a lot more apparent on the screen. It only happens with moving objects. It happens on other games as well. The corruption doesn't seem random - it seems to happen exactly the same each time. I didn't think it was the gotek - but I recently tried it on another 1200 - moving the gotek across and it happens the same on there. Interested to hear if anyone has seen this - or has any ideas?
Thanks
Did you already try degrading the chipset to original and selecting no caches in the early startup menu?
Old 11 June 2024, 08:56   #4
Konrad

Honestly don't know how Gotek would cause this.

As Rick Dangerous is a game developed for older machines it's most probably just the regular imcompatibilities with AGA machines.
That's completely normal. Alot of older games will give you graphics corruption or not even run at all / crash.
You will / have to get used to it.

There are two already mentioned solutions:

Option 1)
"degrade" the chipset.
- Either via mentioned early startup menu. May work for this game, but not all problematic ones
- For games still not working properly, use tools like Degrader, TUDE, ... to "degrade" the chipset and boot the game then.

Option 2)
Use a WHDLoad installation. The games are patched to work flawless with faster + AGA machines). Also for games with multiple disks this saves you from the hassle of disks swapping. Loading ist faster too.
In my opinion the most feasible option.
Old 12 June 2024, 20:34   #5
cheese_block

I didn't think it would be the gotek - makes sense about it just being an older game - I'll try some of the recommendations. Thanks all.