English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 12 June 2024, 16:05   #1
DisasterIncarna

Poor Man's Workbench Theming.

So recently i have been looking at my setup/boot process which changes/adapts various settings depending on if i have RTG available or not, i have my LIBS: setup so that any processor specific libraries are used before lower grade ones, so 060 stuff is seen/used/loaded before 040, 030 etc and so on, this all works perfectly fine.

Now its time for me to sort out iconsets, when i emulate on a decently powerful system i use PNG icons, when using an FPGA i typically use MWB icons, i also have various packs of Newicons/Glowicons/etc. My issue is/was how to tackle changing icons without making a mess of my whole setup.First i thought to makelink icons using an ENV variable to remember which iconset i want and just link to the appropriate themed icon for everything i have, this can work but doesnt work when using directory harddrives on emulation, works fine when using HDF's but there was so many things that can go wrong and the process to do it all would be lengthy.Now i just do something much easier, i sort all my current in-use icons using CopyIcon/IconCopy using my saved IconSets, nice and easy, then when its all done i just pop open a shell window and type.
Code:
lha -r a RAM:IconArchive-MWB.lha SYS:#?.info
This just archives anything and everything that has a .info file, preserving the directory structure and i save that to a folder called S:IconThemes with versions for PNG, GlowIcons/etc, i do the same thing to all my drives (manually atm, need a clever script to handle it automagically later on). Obviously after this, if i want to switch themes its just a case of extracting the archive at the root of all my drives, reboot and bam, a quick and dirty icon/theme swap.

My issue now is... what have i missed which can break something along the way? i think i need to manually inject files into the archive after that, first would be a .backdrop file if that exists, is there anything else that should be included when you are replacing a whole icon set/theme?

The 1 line LHA method i use is also nice and nifty but it does end up including stuff i dont want, such as 324MB worth of icons i use with IconCopy/CopyIcon, those i obviously dont need archived just to switch theme, i'm not sure if you can use all/#? as well as exclude a folder option in LHA?

Any ideas/better ways to do this?, the archive method works fine, at least on an emulated system as write access when unpacking is nice and swift, probably not as much on real amigas or FPGA's but its not like id be swapping constantly.

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 12 June 2024 at 16:17.
Old 12 June 2024, 19:08   #2
EctoOne

I don't think there is a way to exclude things directly with lha but what you can do, is to create a text file with all the paths to the files you want to save. Then you can use this list as argument for lha.

I'm using that method for an icon saver script I've written a while ago. It is attached here if you want to take a look at it. https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=44

I don't know if the program I use to create the list (the original List command caused some issues) is capable of chaining multiple expressions for paths/files but if not there is still the option to append the output of multiple commands to a single list.