English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 June 2024, 02:19   #21
copse

There is an image of the setup and list here and related information:

https://github.com/Harbaum/MiSTeryNa...etting-started

The MiSTeryShield is possibly just for the ST, so maybe get breadboard and jumper wires instead.
Old 05 June 2024, 10:36   #22
xc8
no c= no fun

folks, I am working with KiCad to create a simplified 'light' version of the MiSTeryShield, this a 100% THT, whereas the MiSTeryShiled is mainly SMT, which is a pain for me to solder. Additionally, ordering it pre-assembled is not quite 'cheap'.

By 'light' version , its only MIDI-out and the JOY port is only for joysticks (no level shifters for mice etc) , more like 'quick and dirty' solution lol, size is 73x55mm there are a lot of enclosure boxes on that size , I will put this on github today and let you know.

edit:

https://github.com/Unixware/nanoshield

have fun (check before use ... just if you blow something heh)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nanoshield.png
Views:	17
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	82408  

Last edited by xc8; 05 June 2024 at 11:53. Reason: url added
Old 05 June 2024, 11:59   #23
mikeboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc8 View Post
folks, I am working with KiCad to create a simplified 'light' version of the MiSTeryShield, this a 100% THT, whereas the MiSTeryShiled is mainly SMT, which is a pain for me to solder. Additionally, ordering it pre-assembled is not quite 'cheap'.

By 'light' version , its only MIDI-out and the JOY port is only for joysticks (no level shifters for mice etc) , more like 'quick and dirty' solution lol, size is 73x55mm there are a lot of enclosure boxes on that size , I will put this on github today and let you know.
nice, I like the aproach with a much simpler solution. do people use MIDI with AMIGA? I'd suggest to get rid of the MIDI port and add a serial port instead. Till Harbaum confirmed that this works (same pins).
Old 05 June 2024, 12:24   #24
xc8
no c= no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeboss View Post
nice, I like the aproach with a much simpler solution. do people use MIDI with AMIGA? I'd suggest to get rid of the MIDI port and add a serial port instead. Till Harbaum confirmed that this works (same pins).
thanks!

I mainly did this for a friend that likes games with midi sounds, indeed I would prefer a serial port there.

Anyway I think by "same pins" means in/out/gnd, there is no midi-in on my PCB, it is possible to put a pin header instead of the DIN-5 , but this is 3v3 lines so it may need extra components to protect the FPGA, sorry no idea.
Old 05 June 2024, 12:33   #25
offog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeboss View Post
do people use MIDI with AMIGA?
Yes, but if you're only going to support one direction then it depends on how you use it - I use MIDI for note input in trackers so I'd rather have input, and there are other people on here who use it to drive an external synth for playing music so they'd rather have output. If you provide a standard serial port then you could connect one of the existing external MIDI adaptors... but both MIDI input and a serial port need an extra chip, whereas MIDI output only needs a couple of resistors.
Old 05 June 2024, 15:29   #26
Bren McGuire

this is very interesting!
Old 05 June 2024, 16:10   #27
xc8
no c= no fun

i just ordered my shield from JLPCB, DRC passed without any errors (just warnings on silkscreens, not a bit deal) lets see how it will go..
Old 16 June 2024, 11:49   #28
xc8
no c= no fun

Hey everyone, I've received the boards and shared a couple with a friend. There's a small issue though - I accidentally sent the wrong gerbers (an older version) to JLPCB. The header sockets are slightly wider, but it's not a major problem if you can bend them a bit. Also, there's a 5V line to the joystick port that needs to be removed, as some autofire joysticks produce 5V on the fire button, which isn't suitable for this FPGA.
I haven't tested the MIDI out as I don't have any MIDI equipment.
If anyone in the UK is interested in a free board, please let me know. You would only need to cover the postage. This shield is nothing special, more like an alternative to a breadboard with less soldering mess. I mainly created it for a good friend, as I'm not particularly interested in the FPGA except for the RISC-V emulation.
3 boards left anyway.