English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 02 June 2024, 06:55   #1
Tony Gunk

Certain demos not working in WHDLoad

Hello,

I recently got my A500 setup with a TF536 and a 2MB chipram expansion and a 4GB compact flash card that I have been putting games and demos in for use with WHDLoad.

I installed the demos Elysium and Enigma just as per the instructions I followed on whdload.de but for some reason the demo isn't playing properly. The Sanity splash screen shows without any music and then the screen goes black without anything else happening, and Enigma did nothing at all...

Not all demos are having issues it seems, I got Arte also by Sanity to work just fine so I don't know what the deal is. Anyone got any ideas on how to get around this and have all demos work the way they should?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02 June 2024, 08:07   #2
giantclam

Do the whdload packs work?... ie; https://ftp2.grandis.nu/turran/FTP/R...oad_-_Demos/E/
Old 02 June 2024, 08:42   #3
derSammler

As always, you need to fiddle with the tooltypes to get everything working. Unlike popular believe, WHDLoad is not simply "install and go". Every Amiga is different and especially demos need tweaking of the tooltypes due to the way they abuse the hardware.
Old 02 June 2024, 16:46   #4
Tony Gunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantclam View Post
I have used pre installed packs like that with the same result so I'm not sure what the deal is. Also, the problem is occuring both in WinUAE and on my real A500.
Old 02 June 2024, 16:47   #5
Tony Gunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
As always, you need to fiddle with the tooltypes to get everything working. Unlike popular believe, WHDLoad is not simply "install and go". Every Amiga is different and especially demos need tweaking of the tooltypes due to the way they abuse the hardware.
I'm not overly familiar with WHDLoad's tooltype yet, do you know which ones might help my problems?
Old 02 June 2024, 22:36   #6
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gunk View Post
Hello,

I recently got my A500 setup with a TF536 and a 2MB chipram expansion and a 4GB compact flash card that I have been putting games and demos in for use with WHDLoad.

I installed the demos Elysium and Enigma just as per the instructions I followed on whdload.de but for some reason the demo isn't playing properly. The Sanity splash screen shows without any music and then the screen goes black without anything else happening, and Enigma did nothing at all...
Sounds like you're running them in NTSC mode. Pretty much every demoscene stuff is designed for PAL only. Add PAL WHDLoad option to the slave icon tooltype, or in WHDLoad.prefs file. If Workbench throws error when WHDLoad tries to switch to PAL, then copy PAL file from Storage/Monitors to Devs/Monitor
Old 02 June 2024, 23:31   #7
Tony Gunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Sounds like you're running them in NTSC mode. Pretty much every demoscene stuff is designed for PAL only. Add PAL WHDLoad option to the slave icon tooltype, or in WHDLoad.prefs file. If Workbench throws error when WHDLoad tries to switch to PAL, then copy PAL file from Storage/Monitors to Devs/Monitor
I copied the files like you said, I assume you mean the file called DblPAL, and I'm still getting an error "Error in Display Initialization.
Possible Reasons:
-screen will be promoted
-PAL/NTSC/DBLPAL/DBLNTSC monitor not installed
-not enough free store

It's worth noting that I have the display for my classicWB install and the locale set for NTSC high res and United States respectively, would that make a difference?
Old 02 June 2024, 23:55   #8
Aardvark

Quote:
I copied the files like you said, I assume you mean the file called DblPAL, and I'm still getting an error "Error in Display Initialization.
Possible Reasons:
-screen will be promoted
-PAL/NTSC/DBLPAL/DBLNTSC monitor not installed
-not enough free store
I meant regular PAL. WHDLoad can't use DBL modes. Make sure that PAL is in Devs/Monitors, and reboot to enable it.

Quote:
It's worth noting that I have the display for my classicWB install and the locale set for NTSC high res and United States respectively, would that make a difference?
Workbench screenmode doesn't have effect on WHDLoad. If PAL or NTSC option is not used, then WHDLoad uses the mode Amiga was during bootup.
Old 03 June 2024, 00:08   #9
Tony Gunk

Quote:
I meant regular PAL. WHDLoad can't use DBL modes. Make sure that PAL is in Devs/Monitors, and reboot to enable it.

Workbench screenmode doesn't have effect on WHDLoad. If PAL or NTSC option is not used, then WHDLoad uses the mode Amiga was during bootup.
The files PAL and NTSC were already in devs/monitors when I set up classicWB so I'm still confused as to why it won't work.
Old 03 June 2024, 00:20   #10
Aardvark

Quote:
The files PAL and NTSC were already in devs/monitors when I set up classicWB so I'm still confused as to why it won't work.
Are PAL modes visible on Workbench Screenmode?
Can you switch to PAL on Early Startup screen?

Since your A500 has 2MB chip, I assume it must have ECS Agnus, which should enable software toggling between PAL and NTSC.
Old 04 June 2024, 19:13   #11
Tony Gunk

Quote:
Are PAL modes visible on Workbench Screenmode?
Can you switch to PAL on Early Startup screen?

Since your A500 has 2MB chip, I assume it must have ECS Agnus, which should enable software toggling between PAL and NTSC.
Yes I can toggle between PAL and NTSC in software, but also the Elysium demo randomly started working on the real Amiga so I guess that got solved?