English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 May 2024, 13:05   #1
jurassicman

USB PC Floppy Disk Drive - any use on Amiga?

Hi there!
As per the title I'm wondering if there's any use for an USB PC floppy Disk Drive on Amiga.

I've USB ports on 3 Amiga(s), an A600 with a subway USB, a towered A1200 with a Spider PCI card and another A1200 with a freeway USB.

I use Trident/Poseidon on all of them mostly to read USB pen drives and easily move files but since I have a few USB PC Floppy Disk Drives I would like to know if they could be used on my Amiga(s).

If so, which drivers do I need? What filesystem should I use to format the disks?
Old 26 May 2024, 14:48   #2
derSammler

Quote:
I've USB ports on 3 Amiga(s), an A600 with a subway USB, a towered A1200 with a Spider PCI card and another A1200 with a freeway USB.

I use Trident/Poseidon on all of them mostly to read USB pen drives and easily move files but since I have a few USB PC Floppy Disk Drives I would like to know if they could be used on my Amiga(s).
I'm a bit confused. Why do you ask instead of just trying if you have all that is needed anyway?
Old 26 May 2024, 16:12   #3
jurassicman

@derSammler
because I never heard of anyone using a PC USB Floppy Drive on an Amiga and I thought to ask if that's somewhat possible/useful or just a dumb idea...

I can try when I have a moment... I guess that I need install the .class file for floppy drives (if it does exist...) since when I install Poseidon I only install usb mass storage, hid, mouse and keyboard support...

It could be a waste of time but if nobody already tried that I'll see what I get...

Last edited by jurassicman; 26 May 2024 at 18:50.
Old 26 May 2024, 16:32   #4
thomas

Nobody but you can decide whether it is of any use for you.

I suppose floppy drives register as masstorage devices, just like any other storage device. So you don't need to install additional drivers.

I guess Poseidon automatically mounts it with CrossDOS or FAT95 because that's the only use for it: it can read PC floppy disks, 720K or 1440K. It cannot read Amiga disks (880K or 1760K).

You could format PC floppies with Amiga file system, but that's a very strange combination. If you have an Amithlon machine with a floppy disk drive, you could use these disks for data transfer.
Old 26 May 2024, 18:50   #5
jurassicman

@thomas
Thanks for the explanation. It looks not very useful, indeed, but when I have some time I I'll do some tests.
Old 27 May 2024, 09:19   #6
Calabazam

Yes it works and it can read PC HD or DD floppy disks right away with FAT95 or similar installed.
However, it works fine from a powered hub (aka my front bay USB ports of my A4000 + Deneb), usually not with USB ports of my A1200 from Subway.