English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 02 May 2024, 12:15   #1
vroom6sri

Jesus on Es music played on BBC 6 Music Rave Forever

I often listen to BBC 6 Music on my PC while I work and on the current episode I am listening to of 6 Music's Rave Forever (dated 09 Sept 2023) it has just played part of the music from Jesus on Es.

The playlist says this segment of music was "DJ Jedi, Jedi (Side A)". I had thought the track from JoE was original and created for the demo. Is that not the case or is DJ Jedi the alter ego of Echo?
Old 22 May 2024, 23:51   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

Link or it didn't happen
Old 22 May 2024, 23:58   #3
DisasterIncarna

i would have thought the BBC of all companies, given their track record wouldnt go anywhere near something like Jesus on Es considering near the end of the demo it has vocals impersonating a jailed child abuser, if anything id imagine they would 'nope' out of that asap.
Old 23 May 2024, 01:05   #4
shuttlepilot
Vampire 68080 Owner

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 May 2024, 01:37   #5
giantclam

A DJ friend of mine in Melbourne keeps JOES in his set list in the deck ... only Amiga stalwarts recognize it, everyone else dances =)
Old 23 May 2024, 05:21   #6
DisasterIncarna

ah, when you check the youtube video info, it says that DJ Jedi was "inspired" by the demo music from Echo, so its not from Echo under a different name.

the spiel on YT says:

Quote:
Edd Grant - Feb 9, 2015
Having been an Amiga owner and fan since the early 90s (in fact I still have an Amiga 4000 which I used to record these samples from) I wanted to make a “DJ Friendly” version of my favourite Amiga demo, “Jesus on E’s” by LSD/Echo from 1992.

The original demo is a 30 minute rave mash-up with dozens of samples in it, I couldn’t condense it all down in to one track so decided to make two 5 minute tracks using my favourite parts.

I wanted to keep the authentic 8-bit sound so nearly all the samples are taken straight from the demo, but I have re-sourced most of the vocal samples as they were a bit too ‘crunchy’ and I have also used different breakbeats and percussion.

Hope you enjoy it, I'd also like to thank SpoonWizard AKA Echo for the inspiration!
thanks for the links shuttlepilot, never seen them before, he also has a 3rd video in the sequence
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 23 May 2024 at 22:04.
Old 23 May 2024, 07:49   #7
Jope
-

Some of the JoEs tracks are covers, some are original.
Old 23 May 2024, 11:22   #8
reassembler

https://www.discogs.com/release/6725...edi-Jedi-On-Es

I believe this was done with Echo's blessing. Echo, of course, went on to have success on Rennie Pilgrims TCR (Thursday Club Recordings) label in the late 90s.

Bear in mind Jesus on E was partially a mega-mix of popular hardcore tunes from 1991 and 1992.

And many of those tunes in turn contained unlicensed samples, that Echo reused.

But that was the nature of the hardcore/jungle scene at the time. It was a bit of a wild-west.

Fwiw, I was out with Jedi last weekend, I know him quite well. And have spoken to Echo a few times online, but don't know him personally.
Old 23 May 2024, 12:13   #9
vroom6sri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Link or it didn't happen
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001q0h5

Just after the 48 min mark.

However, after I created this thread it didn't appear when I searched for it again to see if anyone might be able to enlighten so I went off and did my own research (which I suppose I could have done in the first place but I was hoping someone else just knew the answer already).

I found out that Echo from LSD was/is Graham Gray. I found a way to contact him and this was our message exchange:

Hi,
Sorry to bother you but I was just listening to 6 Music's Rave Forever and nearly fell off my seat when I heard what seems to be a chunk of music from Jesus on Es (about 48 minutes in on this link https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001q0h5).

Have they copied your work? Are you AKA DJ Jedi?

I don't know why but I'm really invested in knowing the answer. I hope you don't mind.

HIS REPLY:

Hah nice find!

Yup that's defo a JOEs remix. I am defo NOT DJ Jedi ?

Had a quick search. Check out [ Show youtube player ]

I don't remember being asked, but it seems to be a tribute mix so I guess it's ok. I am credited, and most of JOEs is ripped or plagiarised anyway ?

I've liked and reposted on Soundcloud, so must have known about it!

https://soundcloud.com/edd-jedi/jedi-on-es-side-a

https://soundcloud.com/edd-jedi/jedi-on-es-side-b

Cheers

So it was another artist doing a sort of tribute but it was still cool to hear it on 6 Music's Rave Forever.
Old 23 May 2024, 12:56   #10
trixster
Guru Meditating

Wow, great find! That brings back some memories. My mate and I were obsessed with JOEs back in the day
Old 23 May 2024, 12:58   #11
reassembler

I mentioned this to Jedi also, and he was delighted as a few of his other original productions were in the same Radio 6 mix. So thanks for posting this.

If you're interested a few of the 'original' compositions Jesus on E was influenced by seem to be:

The Brothers Grimm - Exodus (samples Tubular Bells)
[ Show youtube player ]

Messiah - There Is No Law
[ Show youtube player ]

Blame - Music Takes You
[ Show youtube player ]

N-Joi - Feelings Inside (was unreleased in 1991, so would have been sampled from Live In Manchester performance)
[ Show youtube player ]

N-Joi - Mindflux
[ Show youtube player ]

D.O.A. - Muppet Mayhem
[ Show youtube player ]

The Sandman - Psychosis
[ Show youtube player ]

The Shamen - Ebeneezer Goode
[ Show youtube player ]

And I think a Nexus 21/Altern 8 track that I forget the name of amongst others...
Old 23 May 2024, 14:46   #12
acidbottle

Other tracks on JOEs inc:

Sons of a Loop Da Loop Era - Far Out
Shades of Rhythm - Sweet Sensation
Kid Snero - White Line

Had a quick google search and surprisingly didn't stumble upon a tracklist of any sort. There must be one surely?!

That said, a post from Spoon Wizard off discogs nearly 20 years ago does indeed suggest that he did make up some of the riffs, including the one at 24:43.

Last edited by acidbottle; 23 May 2024 at 15:02.
Old 23 May 2024, 15:38   #13
DisasterIncarna

if we only noticed this now due to 1 forum post in 2024, i wonder if theres any other demo/megademo remixes out there we simply havent come across, i know the c64 robocop tune was on a tv advert once, thats all that springs to mind, its obviously not always as easy as searching for "amiga remix" or we woulda seen this and more a long time ago.
Old 23 May 2024, 19:00   #14
lionagony

Out of curiosity I checked the site I always look at to find hip hop samples and Jesus on E's was actually on there. It only has 3 of the samples but it's nice in that you can go to the exact timestamp and listen to the sampled section.

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/44...eet-Sensation/
Old 23 May 2024, 20:49   #15
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Something similar to the Gods music was on an advert once and remember someone posting about it.
Old 23 May 2024, 21:49   #16
edd_jedi

Thanks to vroom6sri for finding it and reassembler for telling me, I would never have known otherwise, which would have been a shame as Sherelle plays four tracks from my record labels in this mix!

Yes, it's just a 'mash-up' heavily inspired by Jesus On Es. I did ask Echo's permission, but it was nine years ago so I'm not surprised he's forgotten! I pressed 100 white label copies on vinyl back in 2015, it was just a bit of a tribute to my favourite Amiga demo, and the original is too crunchy to play in a club.
Old 23 May 2024, 22:21   #17
vroom6sri

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd_jedi View Post
Thanks to vroom6sri for finding it and reassembler for telling me, I would never have known otherwise, which would have been a shame as Sherelle plays four tracks from my record labels in this mix!

Yes, it's just a 'mash-up' heavily inspired by Jesus On Es. I did ask Echo's permission, but it was nine years ago so I'm not surprised he's forgotten! I pressed 100 white label copies on vinyl back in 2015, it was just a bit of a tribute to my favourite Amiga demo, and the original is too crunchy to play in a club.
That’s really cool. Were those vinyls made available to buy?
Old 23 May 2024, 23:03   #18
edd_jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
That’s really cool. Were those vinyls made available to buy?
Yes I sold them on my Bandcamp store, all long gone now though I'm afraid.
Old 24 May 2024, 09:05   #19
vroom6sri

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd_jedi View Post
Yes I sold them on my Bandcamp store, all long gone now though I'm afraid.
Doh! I actually dreamt about playing it on my turntable last night. I would have been very tempted to buy one of those.
Old 24 May 2024, 10:29   #20
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

https://www.discogs.com/release/6725...edi-Jedi-On-Es

There's one copy for sale here if anyone has a spare £20 + postage