English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 22 May 2024, 05:42   #1
giantclam

How many 'extended' Amiga CD/CD32 titles were there?

For example, the Amiga game Ultimate Superskidmarks. In the ReadMeNow! file, it states ...

...when you're in Workbench, you see what it tells of...

Anyone know how many 'extended' Amiga CD titles were like this, where you got one game on CD32 boot, or that plus other stuff when used as Workbench CD0: ... or @TCD ...is there a way to search HOL for that criteria?...

TIA
Old 22 May 2024, 05:50   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantclam View Post
or @TCD ...is there a way to search HOL for that criteria?...
There isn't (yet). I can't imagine there are more than a handful of them, but you'll never know unless you try all of them
Old 22 May 2024, 09:50   #3
Amigajay

I doubt very many either, Ult Super Skidmarks was 1998 long after most CD32 games had dried up, so it was mostly Amiga CD games by this point, they were just kind enough to make the CD bootable on the CD32.

If you do try them, work your way backwards and try the other 1998 games first, then 1996 etc
Old 22 May 2024, 10:20   #4
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
There isn't (yet). I can't imagine there are more than a handful of them, but you'll never know unless you try all of them

Thanks mate, I know you know, I know you're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
I doubt very many either, Ult Super Skidmarks was 1998 long after most CD32 games had dried up, so it was mostly Amiga CD games by this point, they were just kind enough to make the CD bootable on the CD32.

If you do try them, work your way backwards and try the other 1998 games first, then 1996 etc

Nice, cheers Amigajay for defining the timeline somewhat ~ that gave me the notion that most of that era is in
Quote:
turran/FTP/TOSEC-ISO/CD/Commodore Amiga - CD - Games - [ISO]/
more or less, so I'll set about grabbing that dir, and follow TCD's advice
Old 22 May 2024, 11:34   #5
Amigajay

Quote:
Thanks mate, I know you know, I know you're right

Nice, cheers Amigajay for defining the timeline somewhat ~ that gave me the notion that most of that era is in more or less, so I'll set about grabbing that dir, and follow TCD's advice
I wouldn't grab the Amiga CD folder, as they mostly 'Amiga CD's' i.e need loading on Workbench anyway and most won't boot on the CD32.

I have a list of booting CD32 games here, will save alot of time - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ZaQ/edit#gid=0
Old 22 May 2024, 12:28   #6
stx2199

there are 4 or 5 games of that
I think that wendetta 2175 and kang fu and black viper
but I don't remember very well
Old 22 May 2024, 13:19   #7
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx2199 View Post
there are 4 or 5 games of that
I think that wendetta 2175 and kang fu and black viper
but I don't remember very well
Yes latter titles, especially those Neo games listed as Amiga CD on the box will defo load via Workbench, if they have any extras is another question though.
Old 22 May 2024, 16:15   #8
Seiya

many CDTV/CD32 are compatible with AmigaCD and viceversa.
Then there are some CDTV and CD32 titles, but also some AmigaCD that are in double sessione with PC
Old 22 May 2024, 18:22   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It might be a good idea to gather those that actually work on both AmigaCD & CD32 and have exclusive content when used on an Amiga with a CD drive in this thread (the first post preferrable), so that we can either add the info to the HOL entries (if there are only a few) or add a new quickmatch (if there more than 10-ish).
Old 23 May 2024, 01:33   #10
giantclam

Thanks folks for contributing here (@Amigajay, kudos for that list) -- AFAIK there were <10 titles like this, but I wasn't sure.

Now....how many Amiga CD (game) titles, would direct boot on an A1200 with CD drive? (via early boot menu) This is to say, Ult Super Skidmarks does seem to do that (direct-boots to a single version of the game on A1200+CD like it does on CD32 hardware)

Sure, the Ult Super Skidmarks readme file doesn't example that usage case, and I cannot recall doing that ever on by A1200HD (cobra+ferret+external scsi cdrom), and you miss out on the additional content available via Workbench loading...nonetheless, the Ult Super Skidmarks iso does seem to do this.
Old 25 May 2024, 10:28   #11
giantclam

I waddled thru the leads above...

wendetta 2175 - https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/w...75#information

Direct-boots CD32, Amiga CD and access from Workbench as well ~ there are no extra goodies, just good compatibility across 3 Amiga machine types. Not a mixed-mode (CDDA+DATA) disc.

@TCD - on that page, it cites 'HD Installer = yes' ...where is that? (it's not on the image I have)

kang fu - https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/kang-fu ... bit of an odd-bod...direct-boots CD32 & SX32, can be accessed from Workbench, no extra goodies there. Will not direct boot otherwise, requires manual intervention as mentioned in HOL entry.

black viper - Not a mixed-mode (CDDA+DATA) disc. No extra goodies from Workbench...

...search continues...
Old 25 May 2024, 10:33   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
@TCD - on that page, it cites 'HD Installer = yes' ...where is that? (it's not on the image I have)
I assume that if no actual HD install program is present that you can just copy all files to HD and it will work. That should be mentioned in the 'HD Notes' though, so it would be great if somebody could test it.
Old 25 May 2024, 13:00   #13
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I assume that if no actual HD install program is present that you can just copy all files to HD and it will work. That should be mentioned in the 'HD Notes' though, so it would be great if somebody could test it.

In emulation that proves to be the case ~ copy CD0:* to a directory on your HD, and you can launch the game from within that <dir> as per normal.
Old 25 May 2024, 13:03   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you for trying it I'll add the note to the HOL entry.