English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 May 2024, 01:33   #4441
Mikidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

This is re-digitized from real analog output and encoded to mp3 and uploaded to YT - I think good old Paula deserves an apology from you!
Im pretty sure that that mono music stuff was not made with A1200 and Paula chip.
Old 18 May 2024, 06:11   #4442
Promilus

@Mikidi - nope, but that's a machine which could actually play that well while many PCs of that era still only had pc speaker so... 1 bit audio. Like Borat used to say "Great success!"
Old 18 May 2024, 07:42   #4443
oscar_ates

[ Show youtube player ]

I like Mvg videos and content a lot and in his new video he explains what happened to Amiga after release of the wolfenstein 3D. Check comments section already became 200 page in few days
Old 18 May 2024, 07:55   #4444
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikidi View Post
Cant make chocolate candy from poo and by poo, I'm referring the custom Paula audio chip which was already old af in A1200.
Ok, pure troll then.
Old 18 May 2024, 09:16   #4445
Promilus

He ain't wrong about paula being pretty old tech in 92 and certainly old af in 93.
Old 18 May 2024, 09:42   #4446
TEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_ates View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

I like Mvg videos and content a lot and in his new video he explains what happened to Amiga after release of the wolfenstein 3D. Check comments section already became 200 page in few days
I like the first comment:

"The Amiga didn't just die, it was MURDERED"
Old 18 May 2024, 09:50   #4447
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
i like the first comment:

"the amiga didn't just die, it was murdered"
murdered by commodore
Old 18 May 2024, 10:14   #4448
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
It's assuming that it was the only way to have the A1200. In another time line they could have built it some time before, survived, make a profit and so launch the CD32 with a bit of more power...

Please try to stop to be narrow minded and self repetitive, it really painful.
Any other timeline is a fantasy.

But we can speculate on what would likely have happened if the timeline diverged at some point. The A1200 was developed from the A600. Without the A600 it's unlikely that we would see the A1200 as we know it.

Going back further, if Jack Tramiel hadn't left Commodore it's unlikely that the Amiga would have existed as we know it, if at all. That point in time is when Commodore's suffering started, which is why I say they had to suffer for us to get the A1200.

If we ignore reality there are an infinite number of possibilities, some more plausible than others. But dwelling on them is silly. The only 'what if' I am interested in is what we might be able to do with what we have. With today's technology there are many cost-effective possibilities. However as the A1200 is a retro computer I am more interested in what might have been achievable 'back in the day', but using the knowledge and tools we have today.

I have a spare A1200 motherboard that I want to put to some use. My first goal is to put it in a case. But not an A1200 case since I already have one of those. I am thinking a pizza box case like the A1000+ was going to have. I will install a RAM board with disable switch so it can be a stock machine or with FastRAM - useful for evaluating performance of both setups and playing games that don't like my Blizzard 1230-IV. I have an A2000 keyboard to use with it. In the box I will have a 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive and possibly a CD-ROM drive. This machine would represent what Commodore might have produced if the AA chipset had been ready in time to go into the A1000+ that Joe Augenbraun was designing.

That's a plausible scenario for a better CD32. If AA/AGA was out in 1991 then AGA+ could have been out in 1992, and the 'CD32' (or whatever they called it) would have it. With enough sales it might even have gotten Doom in 1994!

Last edited by Bruce Abbott; 18 May 2024 at 10:21.
Old 18 May 2024, 10:24   #4449
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promilus View Post
He ain't wrong about paula being pretty old tech in 92 and certainly old af in 93.
And about Paula being poo ?
Old 18 May 2024, 12:37   #4450
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Audio quality sounds way worse than Cassette even before recorded to Cassette
What a load of nonsense

Quote:
Cant make chocolate candy from poo and by poo
Poo is what your bullshit trolling attempt is
Old 18 May 2024, 15:45   #4451
oscar_ates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
I like the first comment:

"The Amiga didn't just die, it was MURDERED"
Amiga and its hardware/OS potential as a mixed gaming/productivity machine was raped by the incompetency of the commodore management by not investing in the machine and several useless taken directions
Old 18 May 2024, 15:45   #4452
Gorf

Quote:
Im pretty sure that that mono music stuff was not made with A1200 and Paula chip.
Then you are simply wrong on two accounts:
a) it is obviously stereo (did you even listen to it???)
b) this is indeed the output of Paula in "14bit mode"

What are you trying to archive here?
You ask questions, but don't want to hear the answer.
You make wrong clams and do not accept corrections.

Did you just come here to troll?
Old 18 May 2024, 16:03   #4453
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
Did you just come here to troll?
That seems pretty obvious.
Old 18 May 2024, 16:33   #4454
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
As a musician I'd take multiple Paula chips over a boring ultra linear 20+ bit 192kHz system any day. They are utterly characterless and the only thing they are fit for is capturing and replaying the performance of said Paula chips in the first place.

If only Paula had pet channel pan/filter. Damn.
Old 18 May 2024, 17:21   #4455
TEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Any other timeline is a fantasy.

But we can speculate on what would likely have happened if the timeline diverged at some point. The A1200 was developed from the A600. Without the A600 it's unlikely that we would see the A1200 as we know it.

Going back further, if Jack Tramiel hadn't left Commodore it's unlikely that the Amiga would have existed as we know it, if at all. That point in time is when Commodore's suffering started, which is why I say they had to suffer for us to get the A1200.

If we ignore reality there are an infinite number of possibilities, some more plausible than others. But dwelling on them is silly. The only 'what if' I am interested in is what we might be able to do with what we have. With today's technology there are many cost-effective possibilities. However as the A1200 is a retro computer I am more interested in what might have been achievable 'back in the day', but using the knowledge and tools we have today.

I have a spare A1200 motherboard that I want to put to some use. My first goal is to put it in a case. But not an A1200 case since I already have one of those. I am thinking a pizza box case like the A1000+ was going to have. I will install a RAM board with disable switch so it can be a stock machine or with FastRAM - useful for evaluating performance of both setups and playing games that don't like my Blizzard 1230-IV. I have an A2000 keyboard to use with it. In the box I will have a 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive and possibly a CD-ROM drive. This machine would represent what Commodore might have produced if the AA chipset had been ready in time to go into the A1000+ that Joe Augenbraun was designing.

That's a plausible scenario for a better CD32. If AA/AGA was out in 1991 then AGA+ could have been out in 1992, and the 'CD32' (or whatever they called it) would have it. With enough sales it might even have gotten Doom in 1994!

This is you who started speculating of a different time line:
Quote:
Dead because Jack Tramiel stormed out when he couldn't get his way. This was a good thing because we got the Amiga from it, particularly the awesome A1200. But to get it, Commodore had to suffer. Without that suffering they would have produced something different - probably closer to the ST or the C65.
But now that I emit an hypothesis which does not seems to fit what you have in mind, you back-up and say it's silly to speculate:
Quote:
If we ignore reality there are an infinite number of possibilities, some more plausible than others. But dwelling on them is silly.
But finally you did it, paraphrasing what I said:
Quote:
It's a strange dialogue.
Old 18 May 2024, 18:54   #4456
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_ates View Post
Amiga and its hardware/OS potential as a mixed gaming/productivity machine was raped by the incompetency of the commodore management by not investing in the machine and several useless taken directions
The narrative that refuses to die. Why are Amiga fans so invested in it?

"Reason #13 that I was disappointed with the A1200 - it was 'raped by incompetency'!"
Old 18 May 2024, 19:01   #4457
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Paula is equivalent to 4 Sound Blaster cards. In 1992 the average PC didn't even come with one sound card!
Old 18 May 2024, 19:02   #4458
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Paula is equivalent to 4 Sound Blaster cards.
Could you elaborate on that claim?
Old 18 May 2024, 21:02   #4459
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
That seems pretty obvious.
The guy has 11 posts and only one of them are not in this thread. You are indeed corect that they came here to troll.

Nobody really needs to bother responding to this idiot.
Old 18 May 2024, 21:09   #4460
pandy71

Quote:
This might be cool and all with A500 in 80s, but in 1992 the PC scene was doing the HQ stuff.
So you need define HQ - 8 bit audio with oversampling and noiseshaping can deliver over 16 bit quality - hope you are aware of fact that many conumer ADC?DAC are 1 bit solution. With fast CPU you can do on Amiga similar to PC approach.

Quote:
Cant make chocolate candy from poo and by poo, I'm referring the custom Paula audio chip which was already old af in A1200.
Well - i'm quite sure that in unskilled people hands chocolate candy can be poo so your point is entirely incorrect - having high sampling rate you can push Paula beyond 28kHz limitation.
Of course Paula is old - but same old was Soundblaster on PC (still uncommon in 1992) - compare Paula to Covox (relatively cheap so it could be considered as standard PC audio device) alternatively there is PC beeper .