English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 May 2024, 01:18   #1
CanCon

A3000 Green screen with a failing OVL test

Hi, all.
I recently de-mothballed my Amigas only to be reminded of why they were mothballed some 20+ years ago in the first place.

While I eventually plan to repair all of them, I figured I'd start with the 3000 since Green Screen = ChipRam issue was/is common and likely easy to fix.
But that is not the world I live in where nothing is ever simple.
(Mind you I have limited experience fixing my computers so you may have a different opinion on my efforts.)

Here is a summary of the most helpful(?) tests/action I performed:

- Board is bare (ChipRam and Daughter board, no extras - removed socketed ChipRam as well)
- Oscilloscope shows activity on ChipRam Data/Address/WE/CAS/RAS lines - all "look" good
- Oscilloscope shows activity on 74646 (Data lines) - all look good but chips get very hot...is that normal?
- DiagROM
- OVL check FAILS
- Test words FAIL
- Test Addr FAIL (Specific addresses are tested with 8 write/read sequence. Each read for a given address is the same, as if read worked but write failed. Ie: it just reads the same value that was in the memory location being tested. The next address does the same, but the read value will be different implying it's reading a different value from the new memory location and hinting that read is working. But I'm guessing)
- DiagROM continues and shows the main menu (both RGB or Serial, if I press a button), but then it freezes.
- Menu screen shows 512K of ChipRAM. (Should show 1M of the onboard RAM.)
- It also shows 1.5M if I added the additional socketed 1M of ChipRAM
- CPU not detected just displays 68xxx

- Because DiagROM hinted the issue was the onboard ChipRAM, I removed it and tested it in RetroChipTester...All RAM passed.
- Put sockets where onboard ChipRAM was, and tested with various Chips, always get to menu and then freeze
- Rechecked continuity: ChipRam, 74646, Agnus, CIA (U350) All passed.
- Assuming the OVL (overlay) issue (as reported by DiagROM):
- Swapped the CIA chips (U300 & U350) - freezes
- Replaced both CIA chips with working A500 CIA chips - freezes
- Lifted pin 2 of "Odd" CIA (U350) [the OVL out pin] : OVL check still fails but no longer reporting Ram issues and menu shows 68030 and 1MB of ChipRAM...but still freezes.

And if you were going to ask, I did recap the board and...same result. (The caps tested fine upon removal, but I changed them anyway).

I even modified the DiagROM code to test the OVL earlier to see if the register was being set and then unset - it is not being set.

Appreciate any ideas.
Let me know if you want/need more details.
Thanks for reading!