English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 23 March 2024, 10:26   #21
ancalimon
Supernormal

I remember trying to promote the screen to a CGX screen on CVisionPPC. It ran mindblowingly fast but had weird bugs making the game unplayable. (maybe no text and missing parts. I don't remember exactly)
Old 13 May 2024, 15:32   #22
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Wonder if this game could be WHD-ified with the benefit of speed-up but no gfx issues at all...? BTW as I saw in this thread there should be at least one installer for it, albeit the whdload.de site doesn't mentions SC2000 at all...
Old 13 May 2024, 21:29   #23
mrv2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
Wonder if this game could be WHD-ified with the benefit of speed-up but no gfx issues at all...? BTW as I saw in this thread there should be at least one installer for it, albeit the whdload.de site doesn't mentions SC2000 at all...
Aladin has a generic whdload install in his folder in Non Tosec Games on the ftp.
Old 18 May 2024, 20:36   #24
Daedalus

Presumably there are some routines using the blitter directly, so they don't show up on RTG screens. Wasn't there an RTG patch for it at some point though? I have vague memories of it but can't find it with a quick search. A WHDLoad slave probably isn't a great approach though - wouldn't it essentially rule out RTG use? A stand-alone patch would probably be best.

As mentioned above, especially on RTG, running the Mac version in an emulator is a much better experience than the Amiga native version.
Old 19 May 2024, 01:06   #25
Aardvark

In AGA mode, either Fblit or Thor's P96 Native driver is essential to get this game run at decent speed, but still, the Mac version via Shapeshifter+MuEVD video driver is little bit faster.
Old 19 May 2024, 21:34   #26
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
In AGA mode, either Fblit or Thor's P96 Native driver is essential to get this game run at decent speed, but still, the Mac version via Shapeshifter+MuEVD video driver is little bit faster.

not sure about the mac, but i think the amiga version has a hard window size limit?

when i did manage to force a different screen mode the window couldnt be dragged down to make use of the small extra vertical space. also not sure what i messed up but the part where you see news reports i just had blank black bits and couldnt read anything, possibly rtg problems on my end.
Old 20 May 2024, 12:35   #27
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
There is an open source remake of Sim City 2000 (OpenSC2K) but I suspect it would end up requiring specs that 10 Amiga users have so probably not worthwhile.

It's a shame there isn't a version that can run at least equal the Mac version in performance, I'm not really interested in running a Mac environment for a game that is mostly there on Amiga even if a bit sluggish.

I always wanted a port of Sim Tower for Amiga back in the day, That game was available on different platforms too like 68k Mac, 3DO and Saturn. I felt like the Sim series of games started getting into their stride just as the Amiga started to decline.